G 1800 no juice

10ecman

Equipment
Bad Boy Pup, JD 737 and (2) ZD21
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
I was mowing then the mower dies. Just stops dead. Replaced diesel filter. Replaced battery but no juice no lights nothing. 12 volts at starter soienoid but no joy. Anyone have a guess as to what has happened? The three fuses are good under the steering wheel.

Pap

Equipment
BX2360 G1900
Feb 12, 2015
Middletown, pa
I have a G1900 and they are close to the same. There is a fuseable link in the harness on the starter side of the engine. Mine burned out about five years ago. I will check to see where it is for sure.

Pap

Equipment
BX2360 G1900
Feb 12, 2015
Middletown, pa
OK, I looked at my G1900. Where your battery cable hooks to the starter there is another red wire hooked to the same terminal. Follow that small red wire back into the harness it goes between the engine and frame about a foot or so from the starter. You will see a funny looking connector on the wire. It is a plastic wire connector with a loop of wire sticking out of the end of it. Mine had tape holding the end on and was taped to the harness. That is the fuseable link. You pull the connector apart and the wire loop end will pull off. That is most likley your problem. This wire puts power to the complete electrical system. So when it burns out nothing will work. You can jump the connection to make sure that is the problem.
Let me know how you make out.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Welcome to the 20+ year old electrical system....

the G series mowers were known for electrical problems. Specifically bad grounds and corroded connections in the harness.

I have two of them, one of them has terrible electrical connectors. The plastic connectors are crumbling apart. I had to actually replace them with new ones that I robbed from another harness. Every one of them. The other one (G1800) so far has been great, though, the first thing I did when I got it was to put dielectric grease inside every cleaned connector...after doing both, I found that stuff that wasn't working (fuel gauge and temp gauge) started working again.

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
Thank you both for the answers. It was what I was thinking then. I was using it as it was a friend of mines tractor. Now I own it so I will be going ng through it and as you have suggested I will clean and dielectric grease every connection on it! It is not my first mower so it's not something I need a out my grass but I would like to restore it.

Pap

Equipment
BX2360 G1900
Feb 12, 2015
Middletown, pa
Thank you both for the answers. It was what I was thinking then. I was using it as it was a friend of mines tractor. Now I own it so I will be going ng through it and as you have suggested I will clean and dielectric grease every connection on it! It is not my first mower so it's not something I need a out my grass but I would like to restore it.
Did you get it running? If so what was the problem?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
While your'e going through it, just a couple suggestions. There is a grease fitting on the drive shaft, at the engine coupling. That coupling is a splined hub that is bolted to the crankshaft pulley, then the drive shaft slides over it. On the shaft yoke there is a fitting. Grease it. While under there check the u-joints. If they're loose, replace them before it takes out the entire shaft (which is about $500 or something like that)...or the transmission.

There's also a grease fitting hidden on the bottom of the front axle pivot. Hit that one too. That one lubricates both the axle pivot AND the PTO shaft bearings, at the same time.

Them are the two major issues, those and electrical. Rest of the mower seems to be pretty stout. I have my 1800 apart in the shop because of a failed rear u-joint. I caught it JUST in time. It was vibrating pretty bad and I grabbed the shaft to check the joints...it was loose as a goose and actually the shaft was hitting the floorboard. Just got it back in, now time to see if I can tighten up the front axle somehow...it's also loose. May need to shim it. I picked this thing up for my dad, the exterior is clean as a whistle but they forgot about those grease fittings.

There is also an electrical connector under the radiator. I forgot about it until I removed the engine to get the shaft out, so I'm going to clean that one up as well while it's easy to get to.

If you have to do the drive shaft, removal of the engine is by far the easiest way, IMO. Takes about an hour. MUCH easier than removing all of the steering pedestal stuff which is usually stuck, and if you do it that way the radiator still has to be loosened/moved in order to wiggle the shaft out. Engine off, pull shaft right out the front after removing the fan from the back of it. If the fan is damaged, replace it before the transmission gets overheated/destroyed like so many BX's I've had to do as of lately.

10ecman

Equipment
Sep 22, 2015
Fayetteville,Tn
Thanks guys, as we thought it was the fusible link. I now have an extra 54" deck and shafts and pto boxes and spindles out the wazoo. The gentleman I got the mower from bought a lot at a municipal sale so he just gave me the spare deck and a parts bin that took a small tractor bucket to put on my trailer so I think I'm going to have to figure out all the parts I got a make a catalog of them. Thanks again it fired right up after replacing the fusible link. Think I will order another to put in the garage.

Pap

Equipment
BX2360 G1900
Feb 12, 2015
Middletown, pa
Thanks guys, as we thought it was the fusible link. I now have an extra 54" deck and shafts and pto boxes and spindles out the wazoo. The gentleman I got the mower from bought a lot at a municipal sale so he just gave me the spare deck and a parts bin that took a small tractor bucket to put on my trailer so I think I'm going to have to figure out all the parts I got a make a catalog of them. Thanks again it fired right up after replacing the fusible link. Think I will order another to put in the garage.
That is what I thought it would be. I also bought a spare from my dealer, now that I have a spare it will not happen again.