Fuel Question

Eddie L

Equipment
L245
Sep 1, 2018
Saucier, MS
I recently purchased an L245 Kubota. The previous owner stated that the tractor had sat under a shed for 8-10 years. Brought it home and completed the normal maintenance, oil, hydraulics, fuel, filter, etc. The fuel did have a little water in it but not more than to be expected. the tractor starts, runs pretty good, and does not appear to be down on power.

The issue it has this, idle to full throttle, no problem, full or even half throttle to idle, it will start sputtering and dump tons of black and dark blue smoke out the tailpipe. The only way to clear this up is to pull the throttle wide open and close it very slowly. Then all appears well until you throttle down again.

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has encountered an issue like this before?

Thanks for any advice

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like the injection pump and or the injectors are gummed up.

First completely drain the tank of fuel and replace the fuel filter.
Try running some fuel injector cleaner through it.
If it doesn't clear up you'll need to have the injection pump and injectors rebuilt. ;)

Eddie L

Equipment
L245
Sep 1, 2018
Saucier, MS
Completed changing fuel filter and fresh diesel
The front throw on the injection pump would barley pump fuel.
The center and rear throw had a good amount of pressure. I guess it was running on 2 cylinders.

Also, when I took the intake off, I noticed there was no gasket. The guy I bought it from claimed to be a mechanic. Wow!

Have the pump off and now searching for a shop in Southern Mississippi to rebuild it.

Overall it is still a real good tractor, just needs some tlc

Thanks for the advice

Eddie L

Equipment
L245
Sep 1, 2018
Saucier, MS
Update

Tractor is fixed and running great. Found a couple issues.

Someone had been in the system before and gotten then injection pump out of time. When they reassembled it, they failed to install an intake gasket.

After fixing these two issues, it runs great, no smoke, no blowby, and has plenty of power for its size.