Fuel prices

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Okay, we have a big problem here. If our 'leaders' (all of them) don't get this under control we are going to have a rough go. This is not a joke anymore, we will bankrupt our citizens if something isn't done. Hard-Working Americans should not have to decide on whether to feed their family or fill up their vehicle. A typical 26 gallon tank shouldn't cost $182 to fill up (at $7/gal), when literally one year ago it was $48.10, at $1.85 here in Alabama.

As we all know most every price is based upon getting the product to the store. If it costs triple to get it there...we pay triple. Groceries are already outrageous.

I cannot imagine $6-10 a gallon!! I will tell you that I will stop my 'fun' job of umpiring high school sports. Although I don't really do it for the money, I'm certainly not go in the hole to get exercise.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I agree fuel prices are going crazy, but congratulations to some of you who voted for it. You guys must be pretty happy. ;)

Seriously though, I feel bad for those who were barely making it and now are paying the inflation tax and paying escalating fuel prices.

Reactions: 4 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Don't worry - with WTI @ $130/bbl, NG @ $5.20/mmcf, and both climbing oil and gas rigs will be sprouting like dandelions in May. On the upside my royalty checks are also getting fatter every month so I am winning not losing.

Dan

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The last time fuel economy became important (and Michigan lowered the speed limit) I thought car manufacturers ought to post a little graph of fuel usage in mpg versus speed for the different models instead of just MPG on their window stickers. The best fuel economy is NOT at 75 as most drivers around here would seem to think. My 2003 Duramax diesel averages 21 mpg, but if I dial it back to 55 or so on the fwy it will run at 27mpg.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Have you ever driven the open interstates and highways in the west? 55 will drive you insane.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Don't worry - with WTI @ $130/bbl, NG @ $5.20/mmcf, and both climbing oil and gas rigs will be sprouting like dandelions in May. On the upside my royalty checks are also getting fatter every month so I am winning not losing.

Dan
you're not an exception, still losing, because those extra dollars are buying a lot less.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
you are losing though, because those "extra dollars" are buying a lot less.
We are all experiencing a loss in buying power due to inflation. As long as inflation is greater than 0% that is always the case. But even with that added living expense my excess income is growing not shrinking. I call that winning.

Dan

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
1646676797354.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

I cannot imagine $6-10 a gallon!!

here in Ontario, cheap gas or the only diesel..is $1.916 per liter....converted to US that's $5.65 per US gallon in US$
By the end of the week it'll be OVER $6 for sure.. 'magical' $2 /liter

Kinda makes you wonder WHY we have to pay WORLD prices for stuff under our feet ????

By the school 'summer break' I expect it to be $3.27 per litre. HUGE windfall for the taxmen !

Reactions: 1 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Have you ever driven the open interstates and highways in the west? 55 will drive you insane.
I have, and no it doesn't. It is all in what you expect. Depending on how far you expect to go, 75 versus 55 only shaves off minutes in your trip time. I grew up in Nevada, and I have pulled a horse trailer across the country a couple of times, and 55 is plenty with a trailer much of the time. Around here I usually set cruise control at 70 on interstate because there are plenty of speed traps. I am passed by folks going 90 often. My dad used to say when passed by someone like that "Hell ain't half full..." High price of diesel and I'll set it at 55.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have, and no it doesn't. It is all in what you expect. Depending on how far you expect to go, 75 versus 55 only shaves off minutes in your trip time. I grew up in Nevada, and I have pulled a horse trailer across the country a couple of times, and 55 is plenty with a trailer much of the time. Around here I usually set cruise control at 70 on interstate because there are plenty of speed traps. I am passed by folks going 90 often. My dad used to say when passed by someone like that "Hell ain't half full..." High price of diesel and I'll set it at 55.
Drive however it makes you happy. I’m not going to make a 9.5 hour trip out of a 8 hour trip.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Drive however it makes you happy. I’m not going to make a 9.5 hour trip out of a 8 hour trip.
I'm like you, get there as fast as possible. I think her point was that your gas mileage greatly depends on how you drive. Which is undoubtably true and if prices hit $8 I'll be adjusting my pedal to the metal attitude.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
55 will most likely get you rear-ended. Speed limit is 80 in Nevada and seems like most folks are driving 85-90. So driving 55 means you are driving at least 30 mph slower than the flow of traffic and that's an accident waiting to happen. We have some huge trucks around here that can't stay with the flow of traffic, especially when climbing grades, and by law they have multiple flashing lights on the back as a warning. Even with those lights flashing we still have bloody messes where some oblivious driver crashes into the back of one of those trucks.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
re: Now the war is worsening the situation because world prices are climbing daily.

WE shouldn't have to pay 'world prices' for OUR oil....plain and simple..it's just greed and corruption of those in office that force us to pay obscene prices for OUR natural resources and what WE can make here
Sure... But don't forget that corporations look to maximize profits. After all that's what keeps shareholders happy. If they can make more money selling oil produced in the USA to another country China, Japan Europe ect... do you really truly think that out of the goodness of their heart they would go... Oh wait lets keep USA oil in the USA and forget about the profit....

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Enough Crying about the fuel prices. Here in Maine an overseas company owns Central Maine Power company, And CMP is pissed at the citizens of Maine for voting down a transmission line from Quebec to Massachusetts and is sticking it to us with the cost of electricity. I was paying .064 per kilowatt and last month it went up to .118 per kilowatt. My electric bill doubled to $535. last month. The local hardware store told me his went up to $2100. last month !!! Here the diesel is $4.79 a gal today and gas is $4.19. Were friggin sunk here in Maine.
A steep slope slidding into a recession. Some law makers are trying to get the .50 cent gas tax supened for 2022. But I dought that happens.
Our govoner is all about electric. Heat pumps , electric cars ect. Stupid.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
This is what happens when people that never built or bought anything make decisions. I wonder where all the electricity comes from? Anyone see any new power plants breaking ground. Grid stable as is? Good thing mining rare earth metals helps the environment. Put your helmet on and bite guard in…it’s gonna get bumpy.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Enough Crying about the fuel prices. Here in Maine an overseas company owns Central Maine Power company, And CMP is pissed at the citizens of Maine for voting down a transmission line from Quebec to Massachusetts and is sticking it to us with the cost of electricity. I was paying .064 per kilowatt and last month it went up to .118 per kilowatt. My electric bill doubled to $535. last month. The local hardware store told me his went up to $2100. last month !!! Here the diesel is $4.79 a gal today and gas is $4.19. Were friggin sunk here in Maine.
A steep slope slidding into a recession. Some law makers are trying to get the .50 cent gas tax supened for 2022. But I dought that happens.
Our govoner is all about electric. Heat pumps , electric cars ect. Stupid.
Crap I wish I had your rates... Here in Michigan I pay on average $0.185 a kWh and that's the winter rate Summer is higher yet....

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Sure... But don't forget that corporations look to maximize profits. After all that's what keeps shareholders happy. If they can make more money selling oil produced in the USA to another country China, Japan Europe ect... do you really truly think that out of the goodness of their heart they would go... Oh wait lets keep USA oil in the USA and forget about the profit....
I'm like you, get there as fast as possible. I think her point was that your gas mileage greatly depends on how you drive. Which is undoubtably true and if prices hit $8 I'll be adjusting my pedal to the metal attitude.
That is more true for gasoline vehicles than diesel.