Fuel line from tank to filter on L185

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Anyone know how to easily replace fuel line that runs under fuel tank from shutoff to filter?
No way to get hand under there to push on new line.
Pulling tank seems impossible as steering column goes thru tank.
I did replace line from filter to injector pump.
I think I bought wrong line as it is injector pressure line but no pressure on these lines.
None are leaking do I even have to replace them?
David

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
I use a pair of Harbor freight Long needle nose with 45° tips on them. Warm up the fuel line before you try and to put it on. It's not easy but it can be done. Also replaced the hose clamp with a number #4 mini that you can tighten with a socket and not a screw driver. If you send me a PM with a mailing address I will send you some return line.
Good Luck Lance

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Hi Lance not sure what PM stands for.
What scares me if I remove old line and become unable to get new one on Tractor cannot even be started to get onto truck to get to dealer.
I did get 4 fuel injector clamps for the job . (2) I have used on the hose that goes to the injector pump from the filter.
These were the right size for the 5/16 th hose I bought.
They do have hex head screws with slots also. They are labeled 15 to 18 MM.

IS THIS IN REFERENCE TO MY OTHER POST?
The rubber return line that you have is that about 1/8 ID as that seems to be size.
I used 1/8 clear poly line on similar tubes for fuel level gage on side of tank.
I do not think that you would have to send the lines as shipping would cost more than lines.
I do not think that a foot would cost too much.
Now I was shocked when I paid about 5 bucks a foot for the fuel lines..
Thank you David

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
PM....

private message.....

click on 007Kubotaguys underlined name.......

second choice ....

:)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The tank line is fairly easy to replace. I think you should be able to get it replaced by just turning the petcock off then remove the old hose-but tie a wire or string to it before you pull it out. This will let you pull the new hose through the same route as the old one. Then put clamp on it and install onto the petcock and tighten up. If you have to you can just loosen four bolts that hold the tank down and then lift the tank up slightly without taking the dash loose.
I removed my tank completely in a couple of hours so that isn't too hard either if you can get the steering wheel loose. Penetrating fluid and patience work well. Leave the nut loose but on so when the steering wheel comes loose you don't hurt yourself!
If you need more information just ask and I can try to look at it and then give you more steps to follow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Thanks guys I did get some 1/8 and 3/16th hose.
3/16 seems the right ID.
Now the piece I did get specifically says on it not for fuel injection.
I think that means from the injector pump.
The piece is rated for about 60PSI which should be adequate for my return line????? Not sure what pressure that would be.
The 3/16th line is way more stout than what is on as original.
The small spring clamps on the original line make me believe that not much pressure is on those lines.
As far as that fuel feed line from the tank I am squeamish about attempting it.
Much appreciate your answers.
Be well David

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your auto parts store is usually not oriented towards diesel engines.

They have some parts but the folks who work there are usually very limited on knowledge. That's why they need to know your shoe size, hat size, phone number and IQ before they can find the windshield wiper for your vehicle.

When you ask for diesel fuel return line, they look at you like a pool full of catfish. They gave you a line for gasoline, but as you mentioned...not for fuel injection. You'll be fine for your return line. The automotive fuel injection may have 60 PSI, your diesel tractor return line doesn't!!

"Now the piece I did get specifically says on it not for fuel injection."

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I always use fuel injection line when ever possible.

For small 1/8 inch return I use hatz diesel injector return. I found the clear poly stuff will harden and break over time and I have never had it exposed to sun light so don't know how much that will shorten it's life. It will also quickly get a hole if rubbing on anything.

The hatz diesel line appears to be immune to sun light, doesn't harden and doesn't rub through very easy.
The only draw back is it doesn't work well with B20. But as long as you don't leave B20 in the fuel system for months it won't hurt anything, I ran B5 plenty of times and have not had a leak.

I also use hatz 1/8 inch return line as a chainsaw oil line since it's pretty rub and vibration resistant.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Thanks again for all of the input.
I was wondering (as usual) what the return line pressure is?
I picked up 1/8 and 3/16 ID hose an some different clamps called corbin style.
Some are wire and some are sheet metal.
The wire ones are similar to what is on the lines now. They are very small as that line ID has smaller OD than what I was able to get.
I also picked up some sheet metal style clamps without screws.
Similar to the wire ones but made from sheet spring steel.
Any idea which would be better to use?
The sheet ones would be easier to use with standard pliers.
Thanks again
David

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Return line pressure is a trickle back to the tank. Won't be any pressure on it unless the line gets kinked or plugged :)

As long as the fuel line isn't between the injection pump and injectors, you won't have any issues with it.

As others stated, stay away from the clear poly line. Only thing that's good for is weed eaters and tiny gas engines.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Thank you
The lines between the injector pump and the injectors is all metal, probably steel.
I had thought not to even try replacing the return lines until there was a problem but just to have the fix on hand.
Do you know if the tube that runs into the tank goes straight in and ends so if I had to replace that line I would let the tank run low on fuel or siphon some out so it would not drain out after removing line?
David

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It does just go into the tank wall so if level inside tank is below it no leak will happen. Even if the tank was full you could use your finger to stop it until you got new hose on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Hello everyone Happy New Year.
I eventually had tractor hauled off to dealer as I was having starting problems.
Seems it was the Glow Plug indicator coil on dash.
All fixed and new glow plugs also.
I had them replace that pesky fuel line from tank to filter.
Overall not bad.
I did learn something. I wondered how to raise front blade with non startable tractor.
It seems that if tractor will crank Hydraulic cylinder will lift.
Hope this helps someone.
I also replaced a good 1yr old battery for a new one.
Duracell makes batteries for our tractors with the post the way we need them.
Go to their site and type Kubota and model and hopefully they will have yours.
I found this out AFTER I bought battery that has Pos post on left side front which meant I had to turn it around but cable did reach. The did list exact battery for my L185.
David