Fuel Grade For Older B7100D?

etmccaus

Equipment
B7100DT
Feb 11, 2014
Michigan
Hi, all --

Forgive the simple question as I'm just a newbie. Bought a one-owner, early (think it's a '78-'80) B7100D along with a B219 loader. Always garaged indoors, runs/ starts well, just needs a few little things -- replacing spring pins in the front 4WD driveshaft yoke to regain my front driven axle seems to be the biggest item on my docket (anyone know how bad a job that is?).

Anyways, I'm new to the diesel world, so I need your input on what fuel to feed this little monster. I know it's calling for #2, but it seems many of the diesel pumps out this way are all serving ULSD. Is ULSD safe to run in something this old? Do I need to look for something else? Is there an additive I'd need to run ULSD?

Excited to put this to work, but I want to top off the tank before I do -- the bleeding process doesn't look like something I want to do right away in 5-degree weather...

Thanks for your help!

-Evan

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The old B will burn just about anything you feed it! ;)
I run off road, Either #1 or #2 depending on the time of year, and I add a little Stanadyne to keep everything flowing well.

All diesel has switched to USDL (Ultra Low Sulfur), it's just like when they dropped Regular leaded gasoline.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yep good to go with ULSD. Its supposed to clean up emissions so the diesels don't stink so bad when they fart...

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Hi, all --

Forgive the simple question as I'm just a newbie. Bought a one-owner, early (think it's a '78-'80) B7100D along with a B219 loader. Always garaged indoors, runs/ starts well, just needs a few little things -- replacing spring pins in the front 4WD driveshaft yoke to regain my front driven axle seems to be the biggest item on my docket (anyone know how bad a job that is?).

Anyways, I'm new to the diesel world, so I need your input on what fuel to feed this little monster. I know it's calling for #2, but it seems many of the diesel pumps out this way are all serving ULSD. Is ULSD safe to run in something this old? Do I need to look for something else? Is there an additive I'd need to run ULSD?

Excited to put this to work, but I want to top off the tank before I do -- the bleeding process doesn't look like something I want to do right away in 5-degree weather...

Thanks for your help!

-Evan

All those joints are splined, all the pin does is keep the yoke/drive shaft in place.
If you have lost your 4wd you have lost the splines. You'll need parts and pins.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Like it was said, all you have available is ULSD, and it will run fine. Same with the cetane rating- it is a non-turbo, low tech, low output diesel, and will run fine on 40 and above. I run both 40 and 48 in mine, and see no difference whatsoever (just depends on the station where I get diesel). I run some Powerservice to keep it from gelling and to add some lubrication for the pump (there are lots of opinions on whether you should run additive, what to use, etc.- you will have to decide for yourself because there is no definitive. Lots of experiences and stories for all camps, but no final answer).

etmccaus

Equipment
B7100DT
Feb 11, 2014
Michigan
Well, thanks for clearing that up. Now I'm not too afraid I'll be pouring the wrong stuff into the tank...

On to the 4WD. Little scared about the splines...hope it's not the trans or front diff shafts that are stripped...