Fuel for thought L3301

MartinTx

Equipment
L3301
Apr 14, 2015
Mansfield
Greetings from Texas. New to the forum with my first tractor. I am not sure that I am posting in the right forum but I wanted to get some insight. I am on about 20 acres here in North Texas and plan to be using my tractor a lot. It is a L3301 and will be using the backhoe , box blade, and landscape rake. What are you guys using for fuel storage. I bought two of the NATO cans seen in yellow. Do any of you have the larger tanks where they deliver fuel ? Is it worth it ? Pros and Cons ? Thanks

Martin

Attachments

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
MartinTx,
I am also using some Jerry cans for fuel. I have two that I use for gasoline and one for diesel. One of the ones I use for gasoline is at least 55 years old, the other two I got off eBay at different times. I would like to get a transfer tank, but for now I will stick with the Jerry can. I hope you enjoy your L3301 as I have my L3901. I got it in Dec 2014 and already have 45 hours on it. Almost time for its first oil change.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Martin, those cans are great! When you get 'em up, the fuel really flows fast. At my age and condition, I find it necessary to pour off a couple of gallons into a small can, then heft that. A fuel station is in my dreams, but in reality, right now I use less than a gallon a month.

I suggest that you keep your eye out for a tank like Diydave recommends, and hold off on storage and contracting fuel delivery until you have a sense of your consumption. Contracting will save you a little, but you'll be locked in until the end of the year. And although you plan to use the tractor a lot (and I think the BH would be your biggest fuel eater), these machines seem to just sip fuel; I don't think you have enough information to determine the more economical way.

Hope that helps.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'd also suggest you work through a few hard weekends using the cans and get a better idea what your fuel consumption will look like. I run mine off of a single 5 gallon can and have never run through that in a single weekend.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have only put 14.4 gallons in mine and have 45 hours on it. The tank is almost full right now. I think it had a full tank when I got it and that isn't in the 14.4 gallons. My Ford 2000 went through gas a lot faster then my L3901DT goes through diesel.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And as I was told for storing fuel, when you get your fuel put an oz or 2 of diesel fuel conditioner in each can, and store it out of the sun light, cause a fungus will grow in diesel fuel and clog up your filters.. who knew:eek:

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
My 4060hstc has 120 hours on it.
Average fuel use is .6 gallon per hour.
I think this is excellent fuel usage for a tractor of this size.
Most likely a benefit of a Tier 4 engine.

I have one yellow 5 gal fuel jug & buy fuel as needed.

Have fun with your new tractor!

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Original Poster says he'll be using the tractor a lot. There's a lot of variation in 'lot'.

Lifting those fuel cans will become less inviting after about the fourth time or so. And slopping diesel around the filler spout and over the hood and engine will make a mess that will accumulate oil-caked dust and reduce engine cooling. To fuel mine with a can I have to use a stepladder. Did I mention falling with a can of diesel landing on your chest?

Look on your local used market (garage sales, estate auctions, contractor auctions) or even Tractor Supply or Atwoods for new and find a steel tank and pump unit. CraigsList (caution for scammers) and maybe eBay are good if you shop carefully. Harbor Freight, Northern, your local cheap discount tool house.

I picked up another 55-gal white square steel tank couple months ago for a hundred bucks (garage sale, moving, everything goes) and had the electric dispensing pump included. A HUGE savings over new. I've seen 96-gal "L" toolbox tanks go by occasionally too. You just have to keep looking.

You can use the tractor to set the smaller 55-gal tank into your truck and run it to town to get fueled. Add stabilizer and you're good for six months or so.

Pull the tractor up to the tank (set on a pallet), clip the pump motor leads to the tractor battery, and pump away like you own a gas station.

A handy accessory is an automatic shut-off dispenser nozzle; again just like a gas station. Prevents overfilling and run-overs.

Don't forget to add a filter too: either a screw canister type (think oil filter) or a sediment bowl type. I use both and have a second canister attached right at the nozzle to keep hose deterioration debris out of the machine tank. Cheap insurance.

Before you fill your tank the first time, plumb a 1/4-in brass valve in the bottom side outlet so you can drain water off before every fill. Use a plug in the valve to prevent accidental opening the valve and spillage.

In your area there seem to be two brands of pump: GPI (silver) and FillRite (red). I've had commercial users tell me the GPI don't last.

If you don't want an electric pump to start off (building your setup in increments) you can use a steel tank with a manual hand pump. I'd go with rotary or diaphragm rated for diesel (although less common, you can find these used and worst case rebuild them). I've tried a $20 'water pump up- down handle' type barrel pump and found the packing at the rod port under the handle leaks no matter what I do.

Having a fuel dispensing station will make your life easier and save your back.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
All depends on how sophisticated you want to get. My L3200 runs almost continuously for two days on 5 gallons so it doesn't bug me to toss the 5gal can in the truck and hit the gas station during a 'town' run. I even use one of the modern crappy 5gal cans, it works well enough for me, I just exercise patience with it.

I'm probably going to go with this ( http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200584598_200584598 ) in the long term. It was on sale for $20 less up to yesterday and it goes on sale a few times a year. I'd modify it but it's a nice size to grab with the loader bucket and put in the back of the truck to fuel up. That's a full week of fuel running all the time so it's probably a good month of fuel on an average small hobby farm/ranch.

Last edited:

mikeee54

Equipment
b6000 4wd
Jan 12, 2015
Out West
I use pri-g in my gas, and pri-d in my diesel whether in cans or tanks or whatever. This stuff is amazing especially in gas. I have more than saved the cost of using it in mechanical repairs and carb rebuilds on gas equipment.

TopesRule

Equipment
L4060 HSTCC
Mar 1, 2015
New Brunswick
Man I hate trying to lean over the fel with one of these new fuel cans standing on a step ladder. Those cans get heavy after 5 minutes of trying to hold it and see into the tank so you don't over fill. I don't use my tractor enough to justify anything too sophisticated, but I sure wish I had a good siphon or something. I'll probably make a breather hole in the can so it pours faster if nothing else.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
2x6: Cut it to just over the width of the FEL towers. If you want to get fancy cut small 1/4" ply to fit inside tower tops for solid positioning. I slide my board forward so that its just about to touch the instrument cluster.

Then you haul your gas tank up there and sit it on the board. Stick the nozzle in the tractor and then pop the pressure relief plug if you tank has one.

I walk away and the can empties itself. Sure saves the old back.

:)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
An inventive person could incorporate a gravity fill type setup, using the loader to hoist tank to fill tractor,make that kubota work for its food. I use a yellow jug, and my little machine sips fuel so its no big deal.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014

I'm probably going to go with this ( http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200584598_200584598 ) in the long term. It was on sale for $20 less up to yesterday and it goes on sale a few times a year. I'd modify it but it's a nice size to grab with the loader bucket and put in the back of the truck to fuel up. That's a full week of fuel running all the time so it's probably a good month of fuel on an average small hobby farm/ranch.
Shaun, since it's too heavy to easily manhandle, wouldn't you be better served by a Best Choice 30 Gallon Tank from Amazon for $154.85 (+$70.10 shipping) <grimace>

I've seen them on eBay for around that price, with shipping included. The bigger tank seems it would be easier to handle, and reduce trips to the gas station. Most of us could handle a 15 gallon tank pretty easily, but I would have as much trouble with 15 as with 30, so I've got my eye out for one of those, for all the reasons Stubbyie listed.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
2x6: Cut it to just over the width of the FEL towers. If you want to get fancy cut small 1/4" ply to fit inside tower tops for solid positioning. I slide my board forward so that its just about to touch the instrument cluster.

Then you haul your gas tank up there and sit it on the board. Stick the nozzle in the tractor and then pop the pressure relief plug if you tank has one.

I'm having a dense moment in these later years -- I just don't get it. "Stick the nozzle in the tractor" ... I take it you tip the can over to stick the nozzle in the tank? Your tank must be less than half full, eh? And the end of the can is square, so the can doesn't twist or roll? Heck, I shoulda just asked for a pic.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Man I hate trying to lean over the fel with one of these new fuel cans standing on a step ladder. Those cans get heavy after 5 minutes of trying to hold it and see into the tank so you don't over fill. I don't use my tractor enough to justify anything too sophisticated, but I sure wish I had a good siphon or something. I'll probably make a breather hole in the can so it pours faster if nothing else.
You have hit upon the key reason I have a 3560 instead of an L3800. I had had enough of climbing over the loader bars or hanging over the steering wheel to put gas in the old Ford 8N, and when I discovered that a few models of new tractor had ground level fuel fills, the Farmall and the 3560 and maybe all of the 60 series, I jumped on it. Much safer. By ground level I mean the owner can be on the ground, the fuel cap is about even with the hydropedal.

TopesRule

Equipment
L4060 HSTCC
Mar 1, 2015
New Brunswick

I'm not sure I understand what you mean exactly, but a 2x6 across the fel arms seems like a great idea. I'm going to see how I can make this work for me.

TopesRule

Equipment
L4060 HSTCC
Mar 1, 2015
New Brunswick
You have hit upon the key reason I have a 3560 instead of an L3800. I had had enough of climbing over the loader bars or hanging over the steering wheel to put gas in the old Ford 8N, and when I discovered that a few models of new tractor had ground level fuel fills, the Farmall and the 3560 and maybe all of the 60 series, I jumped on it. Much safer. By ground level I mean the owner can be on the ground, the fuel cap is about even with the hydropedal.
I saw that on the 60 series and am very jealous. It feels like it's pretty close to being a safety issue trying to fuel my tractor. The ground fill tank like on your machine is the answer.