Fuel for new tractor

mpallen2011

Equipment
Kommander z125, MX4800
Mar 25, 2018
columbia South Carolina
Hi I just bought a new MX4800. This is the first new tractor I have ever owned. I have a question about the fuel and would it be safe to run in my new tractor. My grandfather left me the land and a fuel tank filled with off road diesel I know the fuel was fine with my old Massey Ferguson 35 but I still have about half a tank left was wondering would it be safe to use in my new tractor or should I stay away from it. Thank you all for the help and tips.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I look at this this way. Fuel is a lot cheaper than injector pumps and injectors. How old is the fuel? It will probably be fine if you filter it before you put it in your tractor. Fuel stays in tanks for standby generators for years and the tank gets topped off once or twice a year. I had the same situation as you and I bought fresh fuel. If your like me I don’t have $1000+ to risk on some old fuel. A dirty fuel issue will not be covered under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I assume that is a common rail tractor with dpf?

The issue is how long has the fuel sat there, and what are the consequences. In your area water in the fuel and subsequent algae growth are the problem. I wouldn't want to contaminate a new tractor's fuel system with algae. You could take fuel from the tank, filter it with a water filter, and treat it with an algicide in a clean container before putting in your tractor. In general with the heat and humidity where you are, you might want to run your tractor with an anti algae additive unless you use a lot of fuel and work it all the time. The consequences of a clogged fuel system in a common rail tractor could get expensive.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I agree with russell about questionable fuel. It would have to be pretty old to not be ultra low sulfur (15ppm) diesel, but do you have any idea when it was delivered?
If you can confirm it’s ulsd fuel, and there is enough fuel to bother with, then I would definitely put it through a particle filter AND water block filter.
I got some free heating oil (250g) that caused me significant water contamination problems in one of my diesel mowers. Stupid mistake while using the last 20g or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Does the new tractor have DPF? There may be an issue with sulphur content of older fuel. Sulpher can poison the catalyst and cause damage to the system.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I burned some 15 year old diesel in my duramax truck. Here's what I did:
Filtered it out of the storage tank into my truck's slip tank through a 15 micron filter. Filtered it again coming from my slip tank into my truck's tank another 15 micron filter. My truck has a sump fitting on the main tank, so I am always taking fuel from the bottom - on my pickup, I have a FASS system that sucks the fuel through a water separator, and then pumps it under pressure (8 PSI) through another 10 micron filter - that's the fuel sent to the injector pump which has a Caterpillar 2 micron filter. Any fuel that does not get to the injector pump, is returned to the fuel tank by the fass relief valve. In effect, while my truck is idling, it is polishing the fuel. I had no issues with the 15 year old juice - and I know it was nasty coming out of the storage tank.

All that said: Your new Kubota with a common rail system loves clean diesel. Your tractor probably holds about 10 gallons give or take. I wouldnt risk the old fuel unless I had a good way to filter to heck out of it first.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Here are some refs for what we are dealing with trying to keep the critters from moving into our tractor fuel systems:

https://www.ipu.co.uk/diesel-contamination/

www.hpcdfuel.com[/url]. DOW_training

This latter one you might have to find by searching diesel fuel biofilms, it is pdf so link wouldnt paste.

Both of these summaries are written by companies wanting to sell you something to clean up your fuel and so are graphic but as far as I can tell truthful about the biology.

The biofilm is a combination of bacteria, fungi, and maybe algae. The dimensions of these critters are 1 to 10 microns, so single individuals will sail through most filters. The filters will catch clumps of them. The population can change the chemistry of the fuel and secrete acid if they are there long enough and in large enough numbers. They need both fuel and water to survive.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Use new, clean fuel in your new MX4800 or you'll have more issues than you care to deal with! ;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can use the old fuel to start burn piles with. Or you may be able to have someone pump out the tank and recycle the old fuel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would say late 90s to early 00's.
If it's really that old it's not made for your fuel system. Even if it was on-road fuel the sulfur ppm will be way to high to use in a new tractor filtered or not. Find someone with a older tractor or truck and sell it to them. Even at a $1 a gallon it would be something instead of letting it go to waste.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I would burn that old fuel in my boiler at home and use new ultra low sulfur diesel in my new tractor.

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
I had same thought on some old fuel in my garage... decided against it and got new fuel. As others said theres no reason to push it over the really small cost of some new fuel.

skip

Equipment
B3300su
Jul 28, 2010
Nashville Il
You have gotten some good advice about fuel. My B3300 SU tractor is 9 years old. I made the mistake of putting Soy diesel in it at the beginning of last summer. The tractor ran great till I left it sit for about a month till I needed it to push some snow. Ran fine till I needed to use it the next day and it would not start. Long story short the soy diesel gelled even with additive and locked up My injection pump. 2000 dollars later I got it back. Ran pretty good till this year and now it has no power. I can't afford to pay the dealer again so I will probably end up losing a lot of money and trade it in. NEVER run soy diesel in Your tractor!