Fuel Filters on the BX series

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Reviving the dead...
I have a BX25D that was not used a lot last year, less than 10 hours. Recently I had about four hours a day for a week (mulch and dirt moving with the FEL). About 200 hours total runtime in four years
Well, about three hours in, I was experiencing poor running above 2,500 rpm, signs of impeded fuel flow.. It idled fine. Crap. Well, I got the work done, in the week time, it only stalled a few times and ran poorly a dozen or so. I treated the fuel tank with algaecide and topped it off with fresh, treated fuel.
I was (and am) hoping it was just the filter between the tank and fuel pump and not a gunked up tank or other, expensive part of the fuel system.
Bought four filters (now I have 'stock'). On my tractor, the 'fan guard' is welded on and not removable. Making filter swapping a pain.
Pinched off the inlet and outlet fuel lines a few inches from the filter with rag wrapped vice grips (real carefully). Pull the clamps back. It took a fair amount of effort to free the filter from the fuel lines, I was afraid the barbs on the old filter would break off. Gentle perseverance was called for. I lost only about 1/4 teaspoon of fuel. The filter appeared to be black though the fuel in it was clear. Seems the filer caught gunk. Next to no mess, a first for me! I was going to cut the filter open to inspect closer but I did not want to make a mess.
New filter in, all restored (new zip tie for the loom and fuel line next to the pump). Key on, lett the pump run. Key off, key on, let the pump run. Hoping enough fuel pushed in so what air was in is evacuated. Cranked it up. Started for a few seconds, faltered, stalled. Repeated this twice. Then it purred like a tiny kitten. Yippee!
I'll have to keep an eye on the filter going forward and replace it sooner if it gets 'ugly'. I just hope there is not loch nessie growing in the fuel tank.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Your story makes me really look forward to changing my fuel filters, I am at 100hrs right now, bought new in dec of 20, did the 50 hr change and that wasn’t so bad other than the filters being put on by a gorilla, thanks for sharing

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I think I bought my BX2200 in 2004. Has about 1200 to 1400 hours on it. Will have to look tomorrow. I do look once in a while, but in one eye, out the other I guess. 😃

Anyway, I have never changed the fuel filters. But I do get my fuel from a place with high turnover and fresh fuel. I will change the filters when I see signs of need.

I use on road fuel because it is cheaper in time and money than going a fair distance for quality off road. Had a bad experience with my B2910 after buying off road local that was contaminated.

Just the other side of the coin...

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
The places I get fuel from are also on the road, high volume places. My issue is just lack of use and humidity, even though I keep the tank filled right to the brim. I have to keep a solar tender on the tractor because time will kill the battery. Same with my pick up.

As far as things on fuel lines, the longer they are connected, the more difficult it becomes to break the bond of the fuel line to say, the filter. Twisting nearly ripped the barb off of the filter. Prying with needle nose pliers, pushing the hose away from the filter worked.

I did cut the filter open (cats and curiosity). No loose material but the paper pleats were black and crusty, as if fuel had crystalized on it. I probably should also check the second filter as well, assuming 'those in the know' understand what I discovered and think it is a good idea. AFAIK, to replace the second one, I have to pull the loader off and the complete bonnet.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Reviving the dead...
I have a BX25D that was not used a lot last year, less than 10 hours. Recently I had about four hours a day for a week (mulch and dirt moving with the FEL). About 200 hours total runtime in four years
Well, about three hours in, I was experiencing poor running above 2,500 rpm, signs of impeded fuel flow.. It idled fine. Crap. Well, I got the work done, in the week time, it only stalled a few times and ran poorly a dozen or so. I treated the fuel tank with algaecide and topped it off with fresh, treated fuel.
I was (and am) hoping it was just the filter between the tank and fuel pump and not a gunked up tank or other, expensive part of the fuel system.
Bought four filters (now I have 'stock'). On my tractor, the 'fan guard' is welded on and not removable. Making filter swapping a pain.
Pinched off the inlet and outlet fuel lines a few inches from the filter with rag wrapped vice grips (real carefully). Pull the clamps back. It took a fair amount of effort to free the filter from the fuel lines, I was afraid the barbs on the old filter would break off. Gentle perseverance was called for. I lost only about 1/4 teaspoon of fuel. The filter appeared to be black though the fuel in it was clear. Seems the filer caught gunk. Next to no mess, a first for me! I was going to cut the filter open to inspect closer but I did not want to make a mess.
New filter in, all restored (new zip tie for the loom and fuel line next to the pump). Key on, lett the pump run. Key off, key on, let the pump run. Hoping enough fuel pushed in so what air was in is evacuated. Cranked it up. Started for a few seconds, faltered, stalled. Repeated this twice. Then it purred like a tiny kitten. Yippee!
I'll have to keep an eye on the filter going forward and replace it sooner if it gets 'ugly'. I just hope there is not loch nessie growing in the fuel tank.
The guard under your tractor is not welded on, it has 4 bolts with nuts. Two per side. It takes 2 14mm end wrenches to remove them.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Any diesel pros care to chime in on my neophyte diagnosis and provide additional advice going forward? Or do you think I should be fine as is?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
William- I would change the front filter also, especially after disrupting/agitating the fuel system.
I would also treat with a Biocide as a normal routine. I started dosing all fuel all year 2 years ago, I think.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
William- I would change the front filter also, especially after disrupting/agitating the fuel system.
I would also treat with a Biocide as a normal routine. I started dosing all fuel all year 2 years ago, I think.
I've been treating the fuel. I'll bite the bullet and change the front filter too. Looks like a PITA, having to to remove the entire bonnet.
I 'thought' algae would of been a mushy substance whereas on my filter pleats was a hard substance

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Put this on my 2380 last spring. View attachment 44718
I’ll warn you about that particular filter assy.... that little exit “elbow” is only “press-fit” and will vibrate loose and leak. It’s the same unit used on my M4700 and the previous owner had replaced it in the mistaken effort to cure a leak. (I found out about it from the selling-dealer who had all the service records of the tractor.) When I kept seeing diesel on the floor I thought it was the O-ring but some baby-powder dusted onto it revealed the leak at that elbow. (I also found the on/off valve improperly assembled and inoperative as the result. I fixed that by properly assembling it.)
I fixed the filter housing/elbow by drying it with electronic cleaner and re-installing the elbow with JB Weld and let it cure overnight. No further problems.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'll bite the bullet and change the front filter too. Looks like a PITA, having to to remove the entire bonnet.
I think the front is a cakewalk. I'd take that one over the bottom one any day....

It's very easy to get at it when sitting on a shop stool, instead of on your back...😎

I've looked at the aftermarket filters as above. I think there's merit there.

I wasn't aware of the leaking GeoHorn mentioned, but I think it's worth further investigation.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I think the front is a cakewalk. I'd take that one over the bottom one any day....

It's very easy to get at it when sitting on a shop stool, instead of on your back...😎

I've looked at the aftermarket filters as above. I think there's merit there.

I wasn't aware of the leaking GeoHorn mentioned, but I think it's worth further investigation.
Is it true I have to remove the loader, brush grille and entire bonnet?
I have not even tried to look for it or at it. My gut tells me if the pleats look brown and not black, it should be OK. Does that make sense?
I assume it is mounted vertically a few inches up from the fuel pump below the injector block. I suppose I need to get off my fat butt and take a look, which I should of done when I changed the prefilter.

One big advantage of those remote filters with the clear bowl is it would be easy to see the pleats blacken.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I just waddled out to the little guy. Wife way-layed me to move some pots. Popped the hood, saw the filter. It did not look as bad as the other but... I also do not trust my eyes.
If.... I raise the loader up all the way, can I then remove the grille and the bonnet? Trying to minimize the level of effort. The grille looks like it weighs 50 pounds....

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I think you need to look at the cover again, Kubota does not weld them on. I had a BX25D on the loft Thursday and removed the fan cover to access the fuel filter.

Attachments

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I think you need to look at the cover again, Kubota does not weld them on. I had a BX25D on the loft Thursday and removed the fan cover to access the fuel filter.
Next time I am under there, I'll look more carefully, thanks for pushing me past my stuborness. It certainly would be easier with it removed.
Can I blame it on cataracts? Surgery is next week....

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I changed the second filter below the injection block. It looked pretty clean. I probably could of skipped it.

Bled most of the air out (ran the fuel pump until it fountained), and it fired up and ran without a hiccup.
I did not remove the loader, just raised it all the way up. Sort of too bad there is no ;lock out pin' to prevent t from falling, like the two with the BH.
From when I decided to 'bite the bullet', walk to its shed, bring it to the garage, get the tools, do the job and a full clean up was well under an hour. Easier than I thought it would be but still a lot of steps to just R&R a fuel filter.

Last fill up, I extra dosed (shocked) biocide in the tank. The fuel in the can already had some of the 'juice' in it.