Fuel choices for Diesel- ramifications

Brian

Equipment
BX 25
Nov 7, 2010
New York State
I have a BX 25. This is the first Diesel machine I have ever owned.
Winter is approaching and I have already had gelling issues, even after I used anti gel I bought at NAPA. I followed the instructions, added the chemical and ran the tractor to make sure it mixed up well when it was warm out. The tractor wouldn't run last week and I opened the fuel cap and the fuel was all cloudy and thick.

After talking to several people, I am currently using a 50-50 mix of Diesel and Kero.
What are the issues with running other than straight diesel.
Heating Oil, Straight Kerosene, Mixes of Diesel/Kero. What other substitutes?

Power loss, lower fuel economy, damage to the engine over the long haul?

In a pinch, what else can you burn in them? I live in a rural area and the closest Diesel is 15 miles away.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know it doesn't get as cold in Ga like what you go thru in the north. I use my tractor at least 3 days a week in the winter and sometimes every day. Straight off road diesel in the tank and add Amsoil fuel conditioner to the fuel. Knock on wood, I have never had a fuel related issue with mine at all. Last year I used mine during -11F temp weather and didn't even have to use the glow plugs to crank it. I normally use them in the cold for a couple of seconds just to make it easier on the engine but it's never been required. It does just as good in the winter as it does in the summer on the same fuel.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Brian,

While there are a lot of fuels that can be used in a diesel engine, that doesn't necessarily mean they should be used. For example, when I was stationed on Adak, AK in the Navy we used jet fuel, I can't remember if it was JP-5 or JP-8 in a JD tractor, because that was the only thing available.

I use Power Service fuel supplement in my Kubota. Supposed to boost cetane and prevent gelling. I put it in in the fall for just in case, since I really only use mine for a lawn mower. I use my gasoline powered Allis Chalmers WD for clearing snow.

RObert

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You could also use Powerservice 911, if it is currently jelled up. Otherwise, use Powerservice in the white bottle- it's for winter, and helps with jelling.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Not really sure of the ramifications, but a diesel will burn just about any type of low volatility fuel/oil. The original diesel (which btw was turned down by every automaker from the US and Germany) was built to run off of peanut oil! You can run just about any kind of oily stuff in there. A lot of people will mix tranny fluid with the fuel. I've never done this, so you are on your own. You can run straight veggie oil if you'd like, it will just gel a lot quicker than #2 diesel. Manufactures claim to only run what they recommend, but i say BS to most of what they say. I hear straight kerosene is not so good for the motor, but that is only hearsay.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
We don't really need anti-gel here because it doesn't get that cold, but the local co-op sells a lot of diesel to truckers going east and north. They add the anti-gel from about October to March.
Thanks for the reminder - I'll top off the tank and cans (still summer diesel in them) this week.

I have heard that kerosene gives very poor lubricating and should not be used in any quantity.

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
After talking to several people, I am currently using a 50-50 mix of Diesel and Kero.
What are the issues with running other than straight diesel.

50:50 is waaaaaaaaay too much kerosene ! You only need quart in
that tank . I ran a gallon in a whole tank of derv on LandRovers
in Scotland during bad winters . That was fine . It's not a fuel
substitute ...........