Fuel Cans

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I don't have any yellow cans, and I hate every CARB compliant can that I've used. I have a blue (kerosene) pre CARB can that I plan on using for diesel, but I wonder if there's something better out there.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
ave 2 blues and one yellow I found along the road, some minor work with a screwdriver and sidecuts, and yup works as good as the old blue one

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
check out VP racing fuel jugs, high flow, hold almost 6 gallons, tough, long nozzle, 100% sealable (vent lid is screw open shut design, same with cap. very simple, but very effective....price isn't bad either. I'm ditching all my shit carb gas and diesel cans.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Tractor Supply carries some EZ something upgrade/service kits which include new vent caps and pour spouts that eliminate all that hassel. A double length high flow set is also available which I suggest for filling any larger capacity fuel tanks. The smaller is better for filling small engine tanks. Whats nice is the kit not only fixes the problems with the new piece-o-crap cans, it also permits you to refurbish some of your older cans. I now use my blue & yellow cans interchangably for diesel, but the blue only for K-5 kerosene when wanted.

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
I purchased some "large mouth" NATO cans from Sportsmans Guide that I use for diesel. Just painted the caps yellow and found some heavy duty flex spouts. They were apparently used for oil or some other fluid but seal fine with a black rubber like gasket and will last forever. They are not chinese knock off products like most of the "Nato" fuel cans currently marketed. You can empty one real fast:D

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I was so glad to find out they are once again selling vented cans here in Canada again.
Local stores just started getting them again.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I have two 5 gal No-spill fuel cans. Works great to be CARB compliant. Only issue is they take a while to empty, probably 3-5 minutes never really timed it though. I sit them on my loader frame and just hold the button down to dispense the fuel.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I don't have any yellow cans, and I hate every CARB compliant can that I've used. I have a blue (kerosene) pre CARB can that I plan on using for diesel, but I wonder if there's something better out there.
jegs.com or summit racing both sell the wide mouth oring sealed top fuel jug. All the caps have a threaded bung if you want to make up a pour spout of buy one of the ones they sell.

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
I have a bunch of the lousy carb compliant cans, but following a yootoob clip I turned them all into something useful. Cut off the plastic 'safety tab' that keeps the spout locked, so they're easy to open/close. Then drill a hole in the top of the can, and insert a car tire valve stem, but unscrew the inner portion of the valve so it's always open. Then cover the valve with the valve cap, and you now have a nice, useful gas can! Easy to fill and very fast to drain with the cap off :eek:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I'll probably go steel if I upgrade. I don't see needing more than a 5 gallon jug for an L1500. Diesel in a kerosene jug probably ok. The difference between kerosene and #1 is pretty much splitting hairs.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I tried the replacement EZee spout set up from Tractor Supply and it worked great. It came with a large opening spout with a threaded mouth and a smaller opening screw on spout as well as caps for both and a vent you can put in by drilling a small hole and pushing it into the hole. It also came with two screw on caps to fit your existing can. I went back and cleaned out their supply to upgrade all my compliant (now non-comp.) cans.

Javashot

Equipment
L4701 HST
Sep 7, 2016
Milan, TN
VP Racing "utility" race fuel jugs are awesome. They are well made and empty fast. You'll need to purchase the filler tube separately so it's a little pricey but worth it for ease of use. Got mine in yellow at local NAPA store - cap jug and tube all for $40.

Search "VP Race Fuel Jug" on Amazon.

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
I have two 5 gal No-spill fuel cans. Works great to be CARB compliant. Only issue is they take a while to empty, probably 3-5 minutes never really timed it though. I sit them on my loader frame and just hold the button down to dispense the fuel.
I've mentioned these before. If you put a hi-flow vent into the 5-gallon no-spill cans, 45 seconds for 5 gallons into the tractor. Only way to go.

Or, if you have existing cans, replace the spout with a cover (like in the picture) and then pick up a couple replacement EZ-Pour spouts and empty in the same 45-seconds. Depends on your application and whatever you own I guess.

Attachments

edwardsonmark

Apr 8, 2016
US
VP Racing "utility" race fuel jugs are awesome. They are well made and empty fast. You'll need to purchase the filler tube separately so it's a little pricey but worth it for ease of use. Got mine in yellow at local NAPA store - cap jug and tube all for $40.<br />
<br />
Search "VP Race Fuel Jug" on Amazon.

Ditto

frysl

Equipment
L3301 LA525 FEL & FDR1672 6' Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
I have a bunch of the lousy carb compliant cans, but following a yootoob clip I turned them all into something useful. Cut off the plastic 'safety tab' that keeps the spout locked, so they're easy to open/close. Then drill a hole in the top of the can, and insert a car tire valve stem, but unscrew the inner portion of the valve so it's always open. Then cover the valve with the valve cap, and you now have a nice, useful gas can! Easy to fill and very fast to drain with the cap off :eek:
Very clever idea. Do you recall what size bit was used to make a hole for the valve stem for a good seal?