Fuel additive

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
+1 in the bulk tank plus Powerservice biocide and tank clean.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I was recently looking for a diesel additive myself for my new L2501. I did a lot of reading and trying to find the best option. There are a lot of options on the market, and seems many of them are very good. One product that continually was highly recommended across multiple sources, and the one I ended up going with was Stanadyne Diesel Performance Formula

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
In reality you don't 'need' any additives at all. I use them because my diesel sits for an extended time in the bulk tank. Most additives are a feel good thing at best.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
In reality you don't 'need' any additives at all. Most additives are a feel good thing at best.
No additive and I got gelling.:eek: No additive and I got algae growing.:eek:

With additive, no gelling.:) With additive, no algae growth.:)

Sorry, I "need" additive. Granted, not using to keep injectors clean, using to keep tractor running.

GD

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I use Optilube XL, (Extreme Lubricant) and XPD. I use it for the lubrication properties. In a blind test pump diesel had a wear score of 580. With the XL additive that was reduced to 260. With a HPFP, (High Pressure Fuel Pump), Common Rail fuel system I would recommend the use of some type of additive for lubrication and water emulsification/demulsification.

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I use Sea Foam. Add to gas or diesel, in recommended ratio (30ml per 4L fuel) when I fill my jerry cans. And about twice a year in my gas truck.
It stabilizes, anti-gel, cleans fuel system and injectors.
Gets to -30C here a lot in winter, never had gelling, tractor always started and ran great.
All gas powered equipment I use runs way better with Sea Foam. I now have my 63" Kubota snow blower, so the 30" gas walk-behind hasn't seen any use for 2 winters. Parked it back then outside, Sea Foamed gas tank full. This spring a neighbor asked about buying it off me, so I went to start it expecting a no go with 30 month old gas. Fired up on first crank. Ran smoothly.
Sea Foam works.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Been using FPPF Total Power Fuel Treatment from Messick's, covers all the food groups..

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
In as much as I tend to buy at least 500 gallons at a time and that lasts me a full year, I use Powerserice and Bio'Kleen but prior to that I never had any engine issues at all

The newer engines are designed to run on ULSD no issue and I don't believe it states anywhere in any Kubota manual to use additives either.

Of Kubota was concerned they'd recommend it. They don't far as I know.

Reactions: 1 user

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
We use it for algae control and to help with possible lube Issues on the pumps. Running 2 year old diesels up to and over 25 years old.

Also were careful to not get bio diesel available here. The pumps simply say 5 percent to 20 percent bio mix and my 06 dodge for instance say max 5 percent bio allowed.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Just curious since this is my first diesel. I have read several posts where the forum member uses "White/Winter Power Service" all year round. I can see where it would be advantageous in the north so that you do not get surprised by a sudden cold snap, happened three years ago to Kubota dealers rental fleet. I assume it would not be harmful to just use White instead of Gray in summer. Any more thoughts, clarifications, etc?

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
Yep no harm in the PS white all year round. I think most do run the grey in summer and switch to white in the winter though. The grey has more Cetane boosters and detergent then the white which is used mainly for its gel prevention in the cold.Both provide extra lubrication.

JG

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No additive and I got gelling.:eek: No additive and I got algae growing.:eek:

With additive, no gelling.:) With additive, no algae growth.:)

Sorry, I "need" additive. Granted, not using to keep injectors clean, using to keep tractor running.

GD
Did you even bother to read my comment? Obviously not. I said I use additives in my bulk tank to keep the fuel from growing bad chit and White bottle Powerservice as well.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We use it for algae control and to help with possible lube Issues on the pumps. Running 2 year old diesels up to and over 25 years old.

Also were careful to not get bio diesel available here. The pumps simply say 5 percent to 20 percent bio mix and my 06 dodge for instance say max 5 percent bio allowed.
I stay away from bio-diesel like the plague. Sure it smells good at the exhaust pipe but bio likes to grow algae, much more so than regular ULSD.

Had a very bad experience with bio in my pickup truck. I put it up every winter and a couple springs ago I got it out and went to town and it died. Let it sit and it started again but died pretty quickly. Got it home, pulled the fuel filter and it was solid with red gunk. I had to drop and clean the fuel tanks, replace the pickups, replace the lift pump and the fuel bowl. Did that myself for around a grand in parts and many hours of labor. If I had to have a shop do it, I bet it would have been at least 5 grand.

I don't use that crap ever. Guess I'm not enviromentally correct.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
Yep, read both your posts....

First you use additives because of the bulk tank.

Then:
In reality you don't 'need' any additives at all. I use them because my diesel sits for an extended time in the bulk tank. Most additives are a feel good thing at best.
Well I disagree. I have no bulk tank and had gelling and algae so my "reality" and many other small users is different than the experience of those with large bulk tanks and I need additives, not to "make me feel good" but to keep my tractor running just as stated.

You are the one who said "In reality you don't 'need' any additives at all." & "Most additives are a feel good thing at best". Not me

You must not have read what I said that I need additives because of gelling and algae.

GD