FS1020 how to check the oil?

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Just bought a used Kubota tiller FS1020. The chain box has a plug about 1/3 the way up. I assume it's the level plug and the one at the top is a fill plug. Oil is OK in both.
The gearbox for the PTO is mounted on the top and has a drain plug on the front under the input shaft from the PTO at the bottom of the gearbox. I assume a drain.
The only other plug I see is at the back on the top.
None of the cover bolts appear to be a level plug.
Do I fill it all the way up?
Am I not seeing the level plug?
Last concern is that there does not appear to be oil in it.

Any and all help would be appreciated. The garden is ready and I'm tired of fighting the old front tine tiller!

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Went a head and called the old owner. He said he would just top it off at the beginning of the year. I went a head and put about 2 cups in and brought it up to about 3/4. Going to let it set overnight and see. I think it leaking into the chain box in which case, I'l probably just top it off and run it.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
3/4 full is fine on most tiller drop chain boxes. When you run it, check for a leak at the bottom bearing. IDK what gear oil you are using, but the thicker it is, the less it will leak. You can always get some JD cornhead grease, and ad that, if the leak is bad...:D:D