Frozen/stuck Bolt in Aluminum. Plasma cutter?

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Not tractor related but I'm sure somebody has some advice for me here :D

One of our bigger tanker trucks Tank tie downs snapped. Not uncommon. I have changed probably 10-12 over the years.

Except this was on one of our older trucks. Meaning the bolt has been in there for 15 years. Went to go take out one side and no go - same with the other. Was able to grind off the head and get the shafts off. But I still have the bolt into the aluminum stuck. Oxidezed/welded together for better terms. No threads - the bolt just goes through a hole in the aluminum block. No amount of hammering or impact wrenching is making it budge.

I need them out to get a new tie down in place. Already tried heating them up - with kroil. No go. Tried some wax - no go. Unless I need to heat them up longer and use more kroil and wax?

Pictures of the offending bolts (terrible spot one side is in) and then another tie down thats in tact so you guys get a picture of the problem.

I can grind them flush and try to drill them out. But they are grade 8 on one side and grade 5 on the other. I know its gonna be a bitch to drill.

We have a plasma cutter - I was thinking grind them flush and them hit it with the plasma and burn it right out? Gonna splatter a bit but should be able to blow it out? I have cut metal before with it but never tried to blow out a gridned bolt before. Little leary of using the plasma cutter on the vehicle. I can get a good ground, but lots of electronics on the engine and ecm computer I would worry about if the plasma doesnt ground good and travels to find the expensive electronics.

Any advice? I know lots of people here have older tractors and must have had tons of stuck bolts before. I can almost always get a metal bolt out of metal. But moetal bolt stuck on aluminum is got me stumped.

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
how about drilling them out. A royal PITA though. Could try an Easy out to help attempt to turn the remaining bolt while heating/Krollling/Waxing

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Boiling water and an air hammer.
ahhhh. Temp brings up an idea.

chill/Freeze the stud (CO2 source like Computer Keyboard spray cleaner) to contract it..

maybe heating aluminium surrounds to expand it the hole.

doing this might help break the corrosion bond between the Aluminum/steel

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Boiling water equals rapid expansion and rattling with air hammer in the presence of water hydraulically breaks the bond created by corrosion. The dissimilar metals will create a pretty nasty tight fit. I suggest a barrier coating of some kind when installing new bolts.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I run into that issue at work occasionally with aluminum plates and steel bolts. Over time they bond to each other. I usually use a combination of heating the aluminum and cooling the steel bolts. Then a BFH and a punch to drive out the snapped bolts..

After the bolts are removed, i use a round file and clean the gunk out of the holes.

When reinstalling, some copper antiseize is your best friend to help cut down on the bonding.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was thinking heat on the aluminum and air hammer also.

Daren - how to you cool the steel bolt part?

Forceten - Best wishes, hope it works out!:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was thinking heat on the aluminum and air hammer also.

Daren - how to you cool the steel bolt part?

Forceten - Best wishes, hope it works out!:)
I usually just grab a bottle of water and poke a hole on the cap. The aluminum seems to hold onto the heat more then the steel. I usually heat and cool several times. Then heat the aluminum up and start flogging on it with my 4 pounder and a punch :D

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Burn out the center of the bolts with the PC. THe heat should make the bolt's bond to the aluminum break...:D:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've blow out quite a few bolts with a PC.
It sound like you would just melt the aluminum, but that's not the case, as the same corrosion that has the bolt stuck in the hole will also serve as an insulator as it is a really bad conductor of heat from the bolt to the aluminum! ;)

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I've blow out quite a few bolts with a PC.
It sound like you would just melt the aluminum, but that's not the case, as the same corrosion that has the bolt stuck in the hole will also serve as an insulator as it is a really bad conductor of heat from the bolt to the aluminum! ;)
Soon as I get a none rainy day I think this is what I'm gonna try. Grind it flush and then hit it with the pc and see how fast it will blow out

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
From the diameter of the bolts, you should have lots of room to get a hole started. Or drill a pilot for dross to blow out.

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I would put some acetone/ATF on it and use a ball joint press on it. Hammering it might flare it and make it tighter.

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
I don't think copper anti seize is the right stuff to use on aluminum.
drill with a left hand drill bit maybe it will unscrew as you drill
good luck
Hank

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't think copper anti seize is the right stuff to use on aluminum.
drill with a left hand drill bit maybe it will unscrew as you drill
good luck
Hank
Why not just drill it from the other side?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Cause grade 8 bolts a pain to drill
My comment was to why use a left had drill bit when you can get to the other side and use a right had drill bit. ;)

I agree drilling Grade 8 bolts is a major pain! :(