Front Wheels B6100D

moderatmixed

Mar 24, 2011
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone..... Just bought my first Kubota and am excited to move ahead with some agressive modifications. The guy who had it ahead of me turned the front wheels so the rims are facing in. He claimed that by doing so it was easier on the wheel bearings. Having just read an old post by Service Department Vic, apparently that is dangerous. I am about to install a loader (which I plan on asking questions about in another thread) and of course want to go easy on my little tractor front end, but not at the risk of looking stupid in front of my wife (or safety). Any thoughts?

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
So are the wheels now in what one would consider the wide position?

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Hello to you new Kubota-owner !!

... but not at the risk of looking stupid in front of my wife
That's a good one :) When we are on our little friend, most of us, who are under the "look" of our wife's, belief me, 99% feel what the wife thinks... ;)
That's the reason why the doghouse has TV and cold beer :p

carl

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I should have asked before, turfs or ags. The rims are differnent widths.

I run mine in the narrow position, the argument I have heard goes this way.

You are more stable in the wide position.

You put more torque on the hubs in the wide position.

Mine is a B7100, I keep them narrow because I have a loader and don't want the extra torque on the hubs, even in the narrow setting they are still as wide as my rear tires.

Opinions vary on this topic, but don't ask what type of fluid to use in the transmission (Yikes).

moderatmixed

Mar 24, 2011
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
They are turfs. I would think that there should be less strain on the front end components with the narrow selection. The front is as wide as the rear so who knows. I'll look for the article by VIC and see if I can't pinpoint his concerns! Weekends-a-comin', that means the loader gets installed. Cheers!