Front axle oil change

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
My L5030 4 wheel drive requires an oil change for the front axle every 400 hrs. I just did that maintenance job on my used machine for the first time. I did not track how much oil I drained out but I belive it all did drain out....there is a drain plug at the bottom of the right and left side "legs" and tho slow draining, I waited until there seemed to be no more to drain out.

The manual says the "approximate" amount of UDT is 2.4 gallons so I was very surprised to have oil flowing out of the check plug (in the axle) after only 1.5 gallons went in.

I drove it in four wheel drive and rechecked the level....it was fine, right up to the check plug.

But it sure bothers me that I'm almost a gallon shy of what's supposed to be in there.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Joe sometimes you get whats called entained air locks in the axle housing. This air forces fluid flow out of the housing ( out of the fill plug lower threads ) before the air can escape during filling the new fluid. Vic is right drive it enough to get it warmed up let the air escape and then recheck and top off. You might find the left UDT does belong in the axle housing to cover the need for lubricity and component cooling. ;)

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Vic and Ob1Kubota

Thanks, guys! Call me Mr. Nervous, but I need my tractor and can't afford to screw it up, as I save money "doing it myself". I feel a lot better reading your replies and I will be doing raking so I will get to run it enough to warm up the front axle oil and recheck it!

I am very happy I found this resource!

Ob1Kubota....I love your user name! I am a big fan of the whole Star Wars thing.

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
Same thing happened to me yesterday when i changed the front axle fluid.
Calls for 6.5L but at 4L, it started leaking out of the level-check hole. Put the plug in and started my L3240, turning left to right a dozend times. Rechecked the level. Looks ok but i will sure keep my eyes on it.
Wonder how i can drain the axle completely.....would turning the steering wheel while draining help? Dosent say to do that in the owners manual though.

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Hi 78vette!

Aggrevating, isn't it? When you can't get the "right amount" of fluid back in! Has you wondering what damage you might do.....

I assume you drained your axel from the lower pods on both sides....and those plugs are so close to the ground I had to use a dog dish as the only container low enough to go under and keep transferring the used fluid to a jug as it drained.

Air lock on refilling, as the other guys have said makes the most sense. Driving the tractor is probably more helpful than just turning the wheels side to side in place.

I kept a constant watch on my axel oil level and added fluid for a week or so after....every time the level plug indicated no flow when I pulled it. Got a quart in here and there......which made me feel better tho I never got to the full amount in called for by specs.

But it's been over a year and no repercussions. I'll check it once a month and haven't added fluid for a long time now!

JoeK

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
fruitcakesa,

My apologies....I didn't even know about the private messages on this site and just discovered your question from what? three months ago.....so sorry I missed that!

I somewhat answered it above.....but your specific question as to how much I actually ended up getting back in....I'm sorry, I was bad with measuring....I was pouring out of a container of UDT with no real good way to measure....I admit I was more concerned with keeping up to the drain plug level.

when I said a quart here and there in my above message....that's estimate only. But I got "substantial" fluid in over perhaps a half dozen "top offs" and once it stopped going down, I was happy.

So, of the approx. ten quarts that supposed to go in, I know I got in 6 on the refill at the time the job was done....that was measured. With subsequent the top offs, I'll estimate I ended up around 8 quarts.

JoeK

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
Anyone every try pumping the new fluid in through one of the drain plugs like an outboard motor lower unit??

Wxman

Reactions: 1 user

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Model: L30, L40 Series : L

Subject:

Oil level Complaint - Front Axle Failure

Problem details:

Could also apply to: L3240, L3540, L3940, L4240, L4740, L5040, L5240, L5740, L3130, L3430, L3830, L4330, L4630, L5030

Customer/Technician is unable to get the recommended amount of oil back in the front axle.

Solution:

After the oil is drained out of the front axle they put back the three drain plugs and proceed to fill the complete front axle through the center piece.

As soon as the oil overflows they stop pouring oil but both planetary are still empty... If left that way the tractor is operated with less then half the oil the front axle needs.... thus leading to possible front axles failures.

What the Customer and the Technician sometimes do not realize, is that the oil takes a few hours to go through the bearings to reach the reductions cases.

Make sure enough time is allowed for the oil to reach all areas of the front axle before you recheck the level. Tech Tips

This is from Tech Tips on Dealerlink.
Ed

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
I just changed my front axle last week as well. I found it helps immensely if you put the front up and remove the front tires. Much easier for draining. You can also, when setting the axle on stands have one side a good bit higher than the other. That way the axle tube will drain a lot better and flush all the garbage out at a faster rate. I let mine drain over night and I'm quite sure all the fluid drained. Refilling is pretty easy if you use the new procedure outlined in the new manuals. I filled 3.7 quarts into each hub and filled the axle to the check plug. Instead of the 5~ quarts it should have taken it only took 3 right off. After driving it a little and coming back the next day to check I was able to add the balance. I intend to check it once more yet, or until it stabilizes. Only thing I noticed off through the whole procedure - the axle had UDT in it from the factory but the left hub had a good amount of gear lube in it. Only thing I can think of is either the dealer assembled the left hub or topped it off and used gear oil instead of what was in it. :confused:

Ron

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
eserv and ETRon

Thanks for the info. Sure helps to know it,s not just MY tractor or ME.
Just annoying that there is not more info in the owners manual. My wife got me the shop-manual last X-Mas und the writeup in there is identical to the owners manual ( regarding axle fluid change).

Last edited:

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Let me echo that "thank you" and the Tech Tips provided by "eserv" was quite eye opening to say the least.....it takes hours for the fluid to get thru the bearings and fill the lower extremities....who'd have thought?

JoeK