Front axel leak

Bucks n Rubbers

Jan 14, 2011
Sudbury Ontario
I have just purchased a 2003 L3830 and noticed a leak on the right side of the front axel. Is this an issue that requires immediate attention , or can I just keep checking the fluid level. Would it be an easy fix , as I am fairly competent with tools. Tractor is 4x4.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If you can operate a set of snap-ring pliers and a screwdriver you should be able to replace those seals!
You probably can get away with just topping up the oil periodically.
Ed

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Simple! Remove the seal cap on the bottom, remove the snap ring, shims, and lower gear with it's bearing, remove snap ring up in there on the inner bevel gear case and the outer bevel gear case will all come down exposing the seal. pry out the seal and the seal sleeve. Reinstall the seal and sleeve with dielectric grease, reassemble. ( you'll probably need a new lower seal )
If you use dielectric grease you can push the seals into place with your fingers!
Ed

Mr John

Equipment
BX 1800
Mar 27, 2011
Tenneesse
Hello new to the Site
I have a BX 1800 1997 and it has started to leak at the lower front axle ,right side.
Is the above fix the same THX John
Also I have a hard starting issue. It has alot of hours ?? It takes some time to start. then blows alot of white smoke till Idoling smoothly, And the powere seems to be down a touch. I have a real hard time starting when cold outside.
I wish it started like it did when new ...Turn key,hold a few seconds, then turn to start ..and Fired right up.
The battery is fine.

Bucks n Rubbers

Jan 14, 2011
Sudbury Ontario
just finishing up the repair. As I was told , it is a pretty easy job. Could not get a seal from a bearing dealer though . Had to go through Kobuta which was fairly expensive. If you pre-order your parts ,done in a day.

ametcalf

Equipment
BX23
Apr 9, 2011
Wilmore, KY
just finishing up the repair. As I was told , it is a pretty easy job. Could not get a seal from a bearing dealer though . Had to go through Kobuta which was fairly expensive. If you pre-order your parts ,done in a day.
I'm glad you had good luck. I am having the same problem with my BX23. This post is an encouragement to me. Yesterday I did all the fluid and filter changes on the 300 hour schedule except for the front axle because of the slight leaks on both sides. I used Super UDT in the transmission and the book calls for Super UDT to be used on the front axle. We are coming into summer and I don't have time to change the seals right now. Can I change the front axle fluid to UDT until I get the seals changed and then go back to Super UDT when I change the seals? I just hate to use the Super UDT at $20.00/gal when I will be dumping it out in a few hours. Do I understand it right that the advantage of Super UDT is for cold weather operation?

Bucks n Rubbers

Jan 14, 2011
Sudbury Ontario
If you have not had the front bevel gear assembly apart before , I would recommend that you start spaying the front ball joints and wheel nuts with penetrating oil. This will make your job easier in the end. Ball joints popped with a solid hit on the cast housing after the penetrating oil application.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
when you say right side fron axel do you mean towards the wheel or closer to the frame of the L3830 I had a leak and all it turned out to be was a loose hose clamp on the trans cooler above the axel and in front of the radiator. I live in Ca and I had the local tractor mechanic advise me to use a heavier fluid in the front axel to avoild leaks in our warmer cliamate.

JGL

Equipment
L2250,bushhog,cultivator,woodsplitter,buzzsaw,farmi winch,woods blade,harrows,
Feb 17, 2013
Dieppe, NB,Canada
My right front axle started leaking, I got a new seal and installed it. Now, 3 years later, the left one has started to leak. I'll wait till the summer and change it .If you have a workshop manuel, it's a piece of cake.