Found a better deal. Ironcraft 2512 Flex-Wing Mower - $12,900

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
I had previously posted about a "new old stock" Ironcraft 1912 for $13,700, which I thought was a good deal. After comparing specs on the older model versus new, I decided to go ahead with the purchase of the newer model. I don't know why my local equipment dealers were pricing this to me so high, but even having this shipped across a couple state lines, I was thousands ahead.

If looking for one yourself, call and ask for Jared. Tell him James from Colorado sent you. ;-)

2024 IRONCRAFT 2512

They are located in Bolivar, Missouri.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I had previously posted about a "new old stock" Ironcraft 1912 for $13,700, which I thought was a good deal. After comparing specs on the older model versus new, I decided to go ahead with the purchase of the newer model. I don't know why my local equipment dealers were pricing this to me so high, but even having this shipped across a couple state lines, I was thousands ahead.

If looking for one yourself, call and ask for Jared. Tell him James from Colorado sent you. ;-)

2024 IRONCRAFT 2512

NICE!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

2024 IRONCRAFT 2512

Congrats on the new cutter. What tractor are you going to be pulling it with? I wanted a heavy duty model so opted for the Land Pride 3712, which based on a couple of hours last week is perfect for my needs. The 3712 is more than a 1,000lb heavier than that 2512 which is very similar to Land Pride's RC2512.

Last edited:

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Congrats on the new cutter. What tractor are you going to be pulling it with? I wanted a heavy duty model so opted for the Land Pride 3712, which based on a couple of hours last week is perfect for my needs. The 3712 is more than a 1,000lb heavier than that 2512 which is very similar to Land Pride's RC2512.
Not sure yet. Still trying to decide.

I recently bought 20 acres that I plan to build a shouse on and I plan to do all of the work myself. I am really leaning to an M62 for the construction side of the project, but not sure if the CV joint of this mower will work with it. I know that I would be able to utilize the TLB more after I'm done with my property more than I could with just a regular tractor and that is why I'm leaning heavily towards it.

If anyone that owns an M62 (and happens to read this) can do me a favor and measure the distance between the top of the draw bar and center of PTO shaft, I'd appreciate it because I haven't found that dimension.

I do have a friend's JD 4020 that I can use in the meantime.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I recently bought 20 acres that I plan to build a shouse on and I plan to do all of the work myself. I am really leaning to an M62 for the construction side of the project, but not sure if the CV joint of this mower will work with it. I know that I would be able to utilize the TLB more after I'm done with my property more than I could with just a regular tractor and that is why I'm leaning heavily towards it.

If anyone that owns an M62 (and happens to read this) can do me a favor and measure the distance between the top of the draw bar and center of PTO shaft, I'd appreciate it because I haven't found that dimension.

For a friend; I found a 295 hour off lease (plumber) M62 last Fall.
I looked at it for him,.... but my friend paid for it!
It was pure fun for me to spend his $63,500.

I originally tried to talk him into a lightly used L47 TLB, but when I found the 295 hour M62, he jumped.
He never saw it until it was delivered to his lot.
He has been away all Winter, but is now back, and about to begin his estimated $3 million waterfront, last house project.
He absolutely LOVES his M62 TLB!
Who wouldn't!

His BH is on, and he needs it on, so I doubt that he would be interested in removing it for measurements.
Couldn't you find a Kubota dealer to help you out with this?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Looking forward to seeing photos. Are you planning on adding another hydraulic circuit to control the wings independently of the height of the center deck? My RC3712 has two lines, one for the center deck and one for the wings and I know that Land Pride offers it as an option for the RC2512. It's so easy to raise the deck up a few inches in the turns and leave the wings in float.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
I hadn't planned on adding another circuit. From my understanding, you have to raise the center deck completely before the wings start to fold.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Living in the land of banks and ditches I would never have another bat wing mower that the main deck and wings weren't lifted independent of other and the current one I have I even switched it so the wings can be lifted independent of each other also. It takes three remotes which is no issue. There are times the wings drop down to far and need to be held up a little.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Living in the land of banks and ditches I would never have another bat wing mower that the main deck and wings weren't lifted independent of other and the current one I have I even switched it so the wings can be lifted independent of each other also. It takes three remotes which is no issue. There are time the wings drop down to far and need to be held up a little.
The RC3712 I bought has two hydraulic lines but I can see the logic behind your comment of having the ability to float or raise the wings independently of each other. I'll see if this is an upgrade I need to do. I have two FD valves and one SCD valve so I could run the center deck on the SCD and each wing off the FD valves.

Currently I raise the center deck when making a turn, and the wings float.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I hadn't planned on adding another circuit. From my understanding, you have to raise the center deck completely before the wings start to fold.
This is how BWs function is set up to operate from a single hydraulic remote.

You will quickly tire of such annoyance and add another remote for the wings. Be sure to specify a float valve for this circuit.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
This is how BWs function is set up to operate from a single hydraulic remote.

You will quickly tire of such annoyance and add another remote for the wings. Be sure to specify a float valve for this circuit.
Why would it be an issue? The wings are meant to float, 22° down angle and I think I read 45° (skimmed the manual again and can't confirm) up while cutting. All three sections appear to raise at the same time, from watching the few videos I've found, which is all you'd need if raising to make a sharp turn.

I went back and read Hedges post again and I see he mentions one wing dropping down too far. I guess I could see that being an issue. The piece of property I have is completely flat, old farm ground, but does have a slight angle on one end where it meets the road on the north side. Mowing along there and allowing one of the wings to float up should be perfect. The rest of the field will be a balls to the wall, how fast can I get it done, flat, smooth ground.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Why would it be an issue? The wings are meant to float, 22° down angle and I think I read 45° (skimmed the manual again and can't confirm) up while cutting. All three sections appear to raise at the same time, from watching the few videos I've found, which is all you'd need if raising to make a sharp turn.

I went back and read Hedges post again and I see he mentions one wing dropping down too far. I guess I could see that being an issue. The piece of property I have is completely flat, old farm ground, but does have a slight angle on one end where it meets the road on the north side. Mowing along there and allowing one of the wings to float up should be perfect. The rest of the field will be a balls to the wall, how fast can I get it done, flat, smooth ground.
Years ago the first old bat wing it used winches to raise and lower the wings no fun. Then the next one I had used one remote to raise and lower everything was a little better but I changed it to a two remotes system so I could control the wings independent of the main section. Back then I only had two remote tractors. When I bought the one I have new the JD tractor I was going to use it on had three remotes so I re piped and each wing is run independent of each other, For my farms and road ditches its nice to be able to adjust the wings as needed. Most of the farmers I know that run bat wing mowers run the wings independent of each other and the main deck. Now days most of these bigger newer tractors have five or six remotes on them.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Now days most of these bigger newer tractors have five or six remotes on them.
Wow - - that's amazing.

Not around newer big tractors much.

Some of the implements they run today; I could see a need for a bunch of remotes.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Most of the farmers I know that run bat wing mowers run the wings independent of each other and the main deck. Now days most of these bigger newer tractors have five or six remotes on them.
I'll add a third hydraulic hose to my folding cutter and plumb so that I have independent control of each wing. It's a very simple upgrade.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
They called me Thursday and said they had it in their possesion and asked if I could take delivery of it Friday or Saturday. I told them either day would work for me. But, after confirming with their delivery driver, Tuesday is supposed to be the day.

Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, I won't get to see it until next weekend.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I'll add a third hydraulic hose to my folding cutter and plumb so that I have independent control of each wing. It's a very simple upgrade.
What controls the wheel height? I assume that there are some wheels on each section of the batwing mowers but probably need to look at the pictures again.

Just curious how the cut height is set on them since I think you are dragging them and the wheels control the height and the 3PH is not involved with the front. Again I need to look at the pictures again probably.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
What controls the wheel height? I assume that there are some wheels on each section of the batwing mowers but probably need to look at the pictures again.

Just curious how the cut height is set on them since I think you are dragging them and the wheels control the height and the 3PH is not involved with the front. Again I need to look at the pictures again probably.
On my folding cutter there are two wheels at the rear of the center deck and one each on the wings. The minimum height of the center deck is controlled by a series of spacers that can be in or out of the stack. The main deck hydraulic ram bottoms out on the stack.

rc3712_09.jpg

rc3712_10.jpg

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA

There is also a rod that connects the rear wheels to the front hitch. As the wheels move up and down, so does the hitch. This is keep everything level throughout the height adjustment range.

I'm 99% sure that the long/large bronze colored nut, with the similar colored jam nut, on the left side of mcmxi's 2nd picture is the adjustment nut for his leveling rod. Can also be seen in the first pic towards the bottom-right.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
There is also a rod that connects the rear wheels to the front hitch. As the wheels move up and down, so does the hitch. This is keep everything level throughout the height adjustment range.

I'm 99% sure that the long/large bronze colored nut, with the similar colored jam nut, on the left side of mcmxi's 2nd picture is the adjustment nut for his leveling rod. Can also be seen in the first pic towards the bottom-right.
Exactly. You can see the how the leveling rods connect to the hitch A-frame. They're adjusted to get the correct angle of attack of the center deck relative to the drawbar. I included a page from the owner's manual detailing how to adjust the center deck and wings for a particular tractor and drawbar combination.

rc3712_11.jpg

deck_leveling.jpg