foot or hand accelerator

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I was just wondering.... I have a L355SS and was curious as to the proper way to accelerate, the foot pedal or hand unit. Using the foot pedal seems a lot easier especially slowing down going into the turns and I like the idea of keeping 2 hands on the steering when bush hogging. I do use the hand unit most of the time.
Thanks n advance

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It really depends on the task for me. Loader work and general run about I use the foot throttle. If I'm running something off the PTO then I use the hand throttle and lock it in. :D

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Like Daren said, it depends on what I'm doing. Loader work and running around things I use the foot pedal (I have a L3901DT). If I'm doing work with the box blade or going a long way I will set the RPMs with the hand throttle. Also set the RPMs with the hand throttle when running my wood chipper off the PTO.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Mondo, no "proper" way. Use whatever you prefer, they both do the same thing. Just like all the others have said.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
For me I typically do something like this:

Disk-hand
bedder-hand
brush hog-hand
road scraper-hand

But keep throttle at around 1500 by hand then use foot to ramp up when needed:
rake-foot
loader-foot
tooling around-foot
sub soiler-foot

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
I was just wondering.... I have a L355SS and was curious as to the proper way to accelerate, the foot pedal or hand unit. Using the foot pedal seems a lot easier especially slowing down going into the turns and I like the idea of keeping 2 hands on the steering when bush hogging. I do use the hand unit most of the time.
Thanks n advance
I use all three on occasion. Since I have the HST on the L2501 the foot treadle is the main "regulator" for me to control speed and direction especially when brush hogging and always when using the loader. I do have the left lever lock to hold the HST at whatever speed seems appropriate to the field and ground conditions especially on a clear swath of ground when hogging. The hand throttle is usually left in the 1500 to 2100 RPM range for efficient engine torque range. If grading the road with a landscape rake, I may adjust all three to cover ground more smoothly and efficiently while still in M or H range. I try to keep the hydrostat valve mostly open doing field work and judge that by keeping the "whine" low