Food plots.

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Tried the search tab everytime I click on it it closes. Don't understand. I give up .

Going to try a couple small food plots . I have access to disks . Cultivators. I have brushhogged it off and run my mmm over the wind rows .Borrowing a 5 foot York rake to hopefully get the grass off. Then spray. Ground is typical upstate ny rock. About killed myself a few years ago trying to run a 8 horse rear tine tiller only to expose more rock. I know I cant grow a beautiful lush river bottom plot but could somebody make a suggestion as what I could plant for a fall early winter plot?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Tried the search tab everytime I click on it it closes. Don't understand. I give up .

Going to try a couple small food plots . I have access to disks . Cultivators. I have brushhogged it off and run my mmm over the wind rows .Borrowing a 5 foot York rake to hopefully get the grass off. Then spray. Ground is typical upstate ny rock. About killed myself a few years ago trying to run a 8 horse rear tine tiller only to expose more rock. I know I cant grow a beautiful lush river bottom plot but could somebody make a suggestion as what I could plant for a fall early winter plot?
When you click on the search then try clicking on the advanced search see if that works for ya. I remember a few years back having the same problem...good luck.

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I have had great luck with a brassica mix, such as rape and turnips. Adding some winter rye closer to fall works great as well. The nice thing about these types of seeds, they don't take much to germinate, so a lot of soil prep is not needed. Just spray the existing vegetation, get some bare ground exposed and seed into it.

If you want to scratch up the surface some, a drag harrow works well...at least by me, but I have very soft soils.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
We have rocky soil at our deer land, in fact a state park is close by and it is called Raven Rock State Park...

Our plots are a few years old so they get better each year. I will spray to kill all grass and weeds in middle August, once brown brush hog down and disk.

Then week after Labor Day will disk again the broadcast our seed which is wheat and oats disk in then broadcast rape and cultipack.

We don't do summer plots because the farmer plants 96 acres of beans, sorghum, corn, etc.. each year so no need.

Depending on the what is planted determines if he does a cover crop so we plant the plots just in case.

Here is one of the plants just getting growing last year.

Attachments