Foggy Sight Glass?

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
My L2501 hst has a foggy sight glass for the hydro fluid, so I can't tell if it's full, mid level or empty. The tractor was delivered 2 weeks ago and only has 5 hours on it. Has anyone else seen this? I assume it's a warranty issue. Can anyone speak to the warranty process for Kubota?

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Previous owner of my L2050DT had painted over the sight glass so you had to measure it sorta-kinda from the top fill point and just make sure some was in there. I didn't like that so I changed all hoses, filters, and fluids shortly after I got it. While doing so I changed out the sight glass. Its stayed full & clear ever since although sometimes it looks a little low to sometimes overfull.

I'd worry about it if it continues after your first fluid & filter change.

Thorny

Equipment
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
I'm super anal about maintenance, so not being able to see the fluid level isn't an option for me.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Sometimes the sight glass looks foggy but it is just the appearance of the fluid. With only 5 hours on it, the condition very likely is not the glass itself.

Try parking the tractor on the side of a grade so that the sight glass is "uphill". The glass may clear up. That would tell you it is the fluid being a bit overfilled.

Does the fluid appear milky (foggy) on the dipstick? Water may have gotten in to the fluid if the tractor sat in the rain on the dealer's lot.

Have you contacted the dealer and asked about the issue?

Thorny

Equipment
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
Okay, sort of embarrassing, but maybe my misunderstanding will help someone else in the future.

The sight glass is clear, and there is a white shield behind it. When the hydro fluid is part way up the site glass, one can see a slight color variation between the white shield and the light yellow fluid, but when the fluid is over filled as mine is, the site glass looks like the yellow plastic of a weathered headlight cover. which is what you see in my picture above.

I parked my tractor on a side hill this afternoon and was able to see the white shield clearly, which then also let me see the colored fluid when I went back to level ground.

Crisis averted, all looks good.

Attachments

Last edited:

LMTractorGuy

Equipment
L2501HST, LA525, RCR1260, BB1260, Titan 48" SS Forks, Stump Bucket
Sep 20, 2016
SC
I thought my fluid was foggy as well. 16 hours on the L2501. I took a pic today before I started the tractor. As GWD mentioned, is there a dip stick I can pull to see the fluid. I did not see one in the owners manual. I will try to take a better pic tomorrow morning. Opinions welcomed.

Attachments

Last edited:

olsarge

Equipment
L2501
Aug 5, 2016
Fresno CA
Thought I had nearly the same problem originally. There is a very noticeable black line that will show against the white background. I have to be parked near absolute level and let it sit for awhile but it does show up!

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I think the last time I changed my fluid and filter I got it slightly over full. At the top of the glass. So mine is hard to see too. I'm not sure if I should run a tube into the fill plug and suck some out or leave it alone.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I thought my fluid was foggy as well. 16 hours on the L2501. I took a pic today before I started the tractor. As GWD mentioned, is there a dip stick I can pull to see the fluid. I did not see one in the owners manual. I will try to take a better pic tomorrow morning. Opinions welcomed.
Sorry, but my response mislead you about the dipstick. There would be no reason for a sight glass if there was a dipstick. The sight glass is a pain as can be noted by the other posts in this thread.

I was just suggesting to check for a milky hydraulic fluid. A dowel dipped in the fill hole might serve that purpose.

BTW, your photo looks very similar to the OP's photo. There even looks to be a little line of fluid at the top of the sight glass. Try the "parking it on a grade" trick and see what it looks like.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I also have a 2501, recieved in August, and my sight glass was white from the day I bought it. When going over the tractor with the dealer he showed me the sight glass and said fluid should be halfway in the glass. I looked and told him I did not see and fluid in the glass. He said he did not like sight glasses as the fluid is clear and hard to see. At around 9 hours I was convinced there was no fluid in the sight glass and bought a couple quarts of hydraulic fluid and put it in. Once I did I could easily see the fluid up to about the bottom 20% of the sight glass. So then I bought 2 more quarts and filled it to where now I see fluid in the sight glass up to 90% of the sight glass (one more quart would have done it perfect). Your picture appears to show fluid in the sight glass 100% full of fluid. The poster that showed 2 pictures of sight glasses (one very white and the other yellowish like your picture) should give you and idea of what to look for. You want yellow half way up and white on the top half.

rwarren324

Nov 2, 2016
US
What sealant has anyone used when changing rubber push in sight glass

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

LMTractorGuy

Equipment
L2501HST, LA525, RCR1260, BB1260, Titan 48" SS Forks, Stump Bucket
Sep 20, 2016
SC
Here is the picture of mine today. It looks normal. Not sure about the level of the tractor, but I think that the sight glass side is sligtly higher. Did not have a level. I guess that would mean the fluid is slightly over full, based on my original post. I think the foggy look may be not seeing any fluid in the sight glass. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Here is the picture of mine today. It looks normal. Not sure about the level of the tractor, but I think that the sight glass side is sligtly higher. Did not have a level. I guess that would mean the fluid is slightly over full, based on my original post. Any help is appreciated.
Actually, it looks just fine. Leave it alone and go about enjoying the tractor.

usgroupie

Equipment
Kubota L2800 HST
Jul 2, 2022
AZ
I have 2005 Kubota L2800 HST. With the hydraulic fluid showing at ½ in the sight glass, I used a wooden dowel “dip stick” inserted into the fill opening and probed down vertically until I hit bottom and the fluid level is 6" on the dip stick. Make sure the dip stick goes all the way to the bottom of the tranny case, as there is a kind of ledge and you might think you went to the lowest point, but didn’t. Just probe around.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Okay, sort of embarrassing, but maybe my misunderstanding will help someone else in the future.
Its not you...its this stupid useless glass. Why not use a dipstick like a normal company does?

I NEVER know what my level is. That's why there are 3-4 active threads on this issue at any given time. Two right now on the first page.