Flushing coolant

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Remove the drain from the block and clean it out.
I don't think flushing it with anything is going to do much for you.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I also have a "G" series Kubota and recently flushed my coolant.

Nothing came out of my block-drain when I initially opened it. I CAREFULLY used a drill-bit BY HAND to clear the crud out of the drain-nozzle. There was a hard build-up which came out before it started to drain.

Also a tip: After opening both the drains (radiator and block) and it stopped draining, I used a leaf-blower into the radiator-cap opening and quite a bit more came out of the drains.

Remember to ALWAYS use DISTILLED WATER to mix with antifreeze.... tap-water will reduce the ability of your antifreeze to protect the metal.

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
I also have a "G" series Kubota and recently flushed my coolant.

Nothing came out of my block-drain when I initially opened it. I CAREFULLY used a drill-bit BY HAND to clear the crud out of the drain-nozzle. There was a hard build-up which came out before it started to drain.

Also a tip: After opening both the drains (radiator and block) and it stopped draining, I used a leaf-blower into the radiator-cap opening and quite a bit more came out of the drains.

Remember to ALWAYS use DISTILLED WATER to mix with antifreeze.... tap-water will reduce the ability of your antifreeze to protect the metal.
Thanks that helps a lot. The plug is a little t shaped screw with a plastic handle. There is a nut that it screws into. I only need to screw into where the t shaped screw goes in correct not unscrew the nut that it goes into correct?

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Thanks that helps a lot. The plug is a little t shaped screw with a plastic handle. There is a nut that it screws into. I only need to screw into where the t shaped screw goes in correct not unscrew the nut that it goes into correct?
I am not sure what you are describing.

My drain plug is all brass. It has the T-screw which can be unscrewed all the way out. The 'nut' it screws into is hollow and should allow antifreeae to drain out.

If antifreeze does not come out, I used a very small drill-bit in my fingers to lightly clear out the crud.

If necessary, you can unscrew the entire drain-plug from the engine with a wrench. Be CAREFUL... these are known to bust off the engine if you do not 'work it' back and forth to get it free. (recall, it is hollow so it is not very strong.)

Once it is removed from engine, the antifreeze should pour out of engine. Now, you can more clearly see the crud inside the drain-plug and clean it out before re-installing into engine.

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
That worked thanks. I drained both plugs then filled the radiator with distilled water and then ran the engine 10 minutes. I drained it again and did the same thing one more time. I then put in the radiator flushing fluid and topped it off with distilled water and ran it 10 minutes. I drained it again and filled it again with distilled water and ran it 10 minutes and drained it one last time. I then filled it with 50 50 green coolant and ran the engine about 10 minutes. I was told you need to run the engine and wait for the coolant to recede. I opened the radiator cap after the engine had cooled and the coolant hadn't gone down. Is this a problem or is this normal?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That worked thanks. I drained both plugs then filled the radiator with distilled water and then ran the engine 10 minutes. I drained it again and did the same thing one more time. I then put in the radiator flushing fluid and topped it off with distilled water and ran it 10 minutes. I drained it again and filled it again with distilled water and ran it 10 minutes and drained it one last time. I then filled it with 50 50 green coolant and ran the engine about 10 minutes. I was told you need to run the engine and wait for the coolant to recede. I opened the radiator cap after the engine had cooled and the coolant hadn't gone down. Is this a problem or is this normal?
DID you check any temperatures anywhere during any of those flushes or last 10 minute run????

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Before I move any further I want to make sure the cooling system gets flushed and new coolant in the engine. There are 2 drain cocks on my engine. There is one under the radiator and another one on the engine block. The one on the radiator drains fine. When I open the one on the block it's bone dry and I have no idea why. Even when I fill the radiator with water nothing comes out of it. I want to make sure I can flush both the block and the radiator before putting any coolant in. I've tried poking up inside the drain cock on the block with a tiny screw driver but nothing happens. I'm thinking the drain cock is plugged up with something. I have heard that stop leak can clog those drains. I never used anything like that but the previous owner might have.

I know there is coolant in the block because when I replaced the head gasket there was coolant in the little holes.

Is this going to be a matter of digging out whatever is in the drain cock plugging it or is it more a matter of putting something in the radiator to clean out the whole system?
Can't you remove the drain cock in the block to gain better access. Perhaps replace it if you can't clear it...why all the pussy footing around?

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
I did get both of them drained. The one on the block was plugged so I used a drill bit on it and it broke through the blockage. I did put in coolant and ran the engine for awhile. Isn't the coolant in the engine supposed to go down to where I have to top it off again? I ran it about 10 minutes but the coolant is still near the top of the radiator cap.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Not necessarily,if thermostat is removed or isnt equipped with one it should fill to the neck with very little air trapped.

Did it have a thermostat? Did you remove it? Is it supposed to have one?
A thermostat regulates engine temp,without one it can cause issues also.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
In the manual it shows it has a thermostat. I would assume every engine has one or it would overheat right?
No, not every engine has one.........
MOST if all pump systems will - those that work off thermosyphin do not.....

if yours has a water pump - then it should/would........

Running a diesel for 10 minutes without a thermostat will not get the water as hot as it should........engaging your pto and running around for 10 minutes WILL help that.

By all means - run by your local LOWES - HOME DEPOT or Harbor freight and getcha a infrared thermostat...........until then it is simply guessing as to what to do next or what is the problem.