Fluid in rear tires

1999harleyRN

Equipment
L3800, Ford 9N
Oct 15, 2016
Western NY
I know, another thread about fluid filled rears but this one is a little different. Went to check air pressure yesterday, yes the valve stem was at 12 o'clock, but had not jacked tractor up (didn't know about that until reading it here). Anyways, what appeared to be oil came out of the valve stem. I would have expected water, but this was brown, thicker than water, and slippery. Are tires filled with a petroleum based product to prevent freezing and corrosion? Any clues would be appreciated.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to guess you bought the machine used, so there might be any number of things in there. I used auto antifreeze to fill mine, some use window washer fluid, or calcium water, or beet juice.
Most everything but plain water and calcium will not rust the wheels inside unless they are in a tube.
When filling the tires price figured in mostly, thats why I went with the antifreeze ,not better or worse, just cause it was cheap.

1999harleyRN

Equipment
L3800, Ford 9N
Oct 15, 2016
Western NY
Yeah, bought it used with 100 hours on it. I figured I would find water with calcium chloride or antifreeze, never expected an oil like fluid, freaked me out at first.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Could it be Beet Juice? AKA - Rim Guard?

1999harleyRN

Equipment
L3800, Ford 9N
Oct 15, 2016
Western NY
I just looked at Rim Guards website and the SDS describes it as a dark brown fluid, so that might be it. Does anyone know is rim guard "slick" like an oil based product?

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
They use additives as preservatives/rust inhibitors in the RimGuard product and yes, it has a slippery feel to it when you rub it between your fingers.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Shouldn't need to jack up tractor just to check the air pressure. No matter what you'll have some liquid in the valve stem when you go to check it. Give it a shot of air first, and unless there's too much liquid you shouldn't have a problem.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
A couple different threads on here mentioned getting the tire off the ground first. Is that just when adding air?
Where I've seen that mentioned it's been for when you are adding the fluid because you have to let all of the air pressure out. But you don't really want to get it off the ground, just get the weight off of it and leave it barely touching so the weight of the fluid doesn't pull the tire down.

1999harleyRN

Equipment
L3800, Ford 9N
Oct 15, 2016
Western NY
Thanks for the clarification. I ordered a new tire gauge (air/water) that I will keep in the tractor tool box, should be here tomorrow. Will put valve stem at 12 o'clock position, blow a little air in to clear it, then check pressure.

I appreciate everyone's input, have lurked the boards for information since buying my orange tractor. The amount of knowledge here on OTT is amazing!