Fluid film

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
WOW, there should be a sticky about this stuff!

Ran across mention of Fluid Film on TBN and found Lowes carries it. Picked up 2 cans and used it on everything that doesn't have a grease zerk on my tractor. 3pt lift arms, HF QH levers and linkage, seat rails and suspension, every linkage joint under the tractor, etc. this stuff ROCKS! Everything it's applied to works as smooth as ice on glass. The controls on my tractor have never worked as smooth and slick.

I've used other lubricants - WD40 (sucky lube actually), liquid wrench, PB Blaster, etc but nothing comes close to Fluid Film.

Last edited:

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I just found this product too, my dealer recommended it. I sprayed the under side keeps all the grass off & easier to clean.

Plan to use on the exposed hydraulic cylinders when the BH is not in use.

RyeThomas

Dec 23, 2015
Northern Virginia
Yep, I undercoat my truck every year or other year, no rust at all. I keep 3-4 cans around and put it on everything.

The best part is if you have to heat something to remove it the stuff doesn't have a low flash point like PB, WD, etc. Its pretty amazing stuff.

nzzshl

Equipment
1982 Yanmar GT14(YM146), 2015 BX25, BX5450 snowblower
Jan 12, 2015
Fenton, Mi
Fluid Film was introduced to me by my neighbor, a good-ole-boy that may not possess the best social skills but can easily discern good products from those questionable, if not clearly poor, ones. Seeing the advantages, I understand the usefulness of aerosol but also recognize applications that result in a good, albeit expensive product, being wasted as overspray. Checking with one of my local automotive suppliers, I found one that carried Fluid Film in a gallon (paint can-style) container. It was about $40 out the door. Later opening the can, it was the evident that the core product (sans propellant) and free-radical carriers that later evaporate, I realized I was looking at a bucket of raw lanolin (Hehehehehe......aka - sheep sweat!). The creamy texture lends itself well to being brushed, thin or thick, onto the intended surface to be protected. I applied it to the chromed hydraulic rams on my FEL assemble that was removed from the winter while the snowblower was mounted. I used a paint stick to put some into an aerosol cap and worked from it. The Michigan weather removed the excess, however, the base coating remained through the entire 5 month winter. Cleanup entailed an easy wipe with a paper shop towel to begin the working season of the FEL rams. Highly recommended while clearly economical.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I buy it in bulk on Ebay- that's the best prices that I've found. While it works as a lubricant, it's ability to keep rust away is why I buy it. The stuff is amazing.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I find it pricey, yet invaluable. Spray it on a rusted bolt and it will wick down the threads. Corrosion inhibitor better than any i have seen.

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
FLUID FILM SUCKS .. in locks. Used it on keyed padlocks but pulls too much moisture and they all froze up on me in the winter. Back to using WD on the locks. It was fantastic on the hood release cable on the truck though.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I bought it originally to use it on my fertilizer spreader to keep it from rusting to pieces and it seems to be working well.

My dad had a Fimco boom sprayer he only used a couple of times but didn't put anything in the pump to keep it from rusting. I bought a new pump and at first I was running RV antifreeze through it to keep in the pump to keep from rusting. Eventually I installed several banjo quick-connect fittings so I can disconnect the pump from the sprayer and disconnect the return line from the tank. Now after use it I disconnect the pump from the sprayer and put Fluid Film in the hose and turn the pump by hand to flush the water out then cap/plug the banjo fittings. Before next use I disconnect the return line and let the water flush out the fluid film without contaminating the tank. Other benefits to this setup is that it's easier to install the pump without the sprayer in the way, and I rebuilt the original pump and have two pumps set up ready to use.

This thread reminds me though, I need to buy a gallon can to use for the sprayer and several aerosol cans to keep around. I think I may use it for the backhoe cylinders as well and on the various linkages on the tractor.

Last edited:

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I've used other lubricants - WD40 (sucky lube actually)...
FLUID FILM SUCKS .. in locks. Used it on keyed padlocks but pulls too much moisture and they all froze up on me in the winter. Back to using WD on the locks.
WD in WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement". There are many uses that people have come up with for it that it can do, but there are better products for pretty much all of them. Kind of like a Swiss-Army knife of lubricants - it can work in a pinch but you're better off to have a tool box full of actual tools for real work.

Since it is a "water displacement" product it is great for keeping water out of padlocks. I use a lot of padlocks on deer stands and game cameras (I was lucky enough to have found an entire case of keyed-alike locks my grandfather had) and before I deploy any they get a good soaking of WD-40, and they'll get it again if they become sticky. That's pretty much all I use it for now, and all that it really seems to be great at.

There are new lubrication products now under the WD-40 brand that seem to be pretty good, and I love the folding straw on their aerosol cans.

Vrat

Equipment
B7300 HSD
Sep 23, 2014
Lehigh Valley, PA
Learned something new today. Never used Fluid film but will pick up a can. Wonder how it would work on a motorcycle chain?

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Learned something new today. Never used Fluid film but will pick up a can. Wonder how it would work on a motorcycle chain?
I put some on my boys' karts chain - it slung most all of it off. Didn't give it any time to sit though, just spray and go.

I wouldn't want to use it on a street bike chain (I actually don't lube my O-ring type chains at all) as I wouldn't want it flung all over my bike, on a dirtbike, sure if you wanted.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
I started using this stuff on the snowplows and tractor buckets last year. Nothing sticks, it's great. I cleaned the 60" mower deck last spring and thought this would work. Well I sharpened the blades this spring and there was barely a handful of grass stuck under there, compared to a 5 gallon bucket full last year... It works! We use one gallon cans of it and this is where we get it. They often have sales also.
https://www.zoro.com/fluid-film-lub...gclid=CKmcsrHKmc0CFQ6LaQodfncDIA&gclsrc=aw.ds

P.S. Side effect: My hands have NEVER been so soft and no winter cracks.

Last edited: