Flailing about tractors

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Talked to fast been years since I went to bulls gap LSMURPHY is close. I am farther than I remembered that's what happens with age.:D handy

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK so someone please tell me why a flail mower is better than a rotary mower and what are the advantages one over the other and can I use it in multi floral rose and brush?

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Problem is I don't have anywhere to keep it until I move next year :(
That is the nice thing about the trailer. You keep it on that!... If you are moving into farming country, one of your new neighbors will be glad to let the whole kit sit behind the barn under canvas for a year. As a group, farmers are like that.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Since you're budget constrained, I'd go for a L3800 GEAR tractor. The HST eats up too much power. The 3800 Gear has just under 10% more PTO power than the HST equivalent (HST makes up for it by spinning the engine 155RPM more than gear thus consuming more fuel), and will have no problem using all 6' implements....regardless of what the dealer says. Now when it comes to putting power to the wheels, the HST consumes 20% of your power. The net power of the 3800 is just under 36hp, so if you get the HST, you will never be able to put more than 29hp to the wheels. It's just the nature of the HST beast.

I have several hundred hours of use in my 3800, and speak from experience.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
OK so someone please tell me why a flail mower is better than a rotary mower and what are the advantages one over the other and can I use it in multi floral rose and brush?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/118882-lets-talk-flail-mowers.html

Flails give a better cut and chews everything into smaller pieces. It's also a much smaller profile and thus more maneuverable. It's a much better all-around cutter. There is slightly more maintenance on its knives; the benefits certainly outweigh that maintenance. There are also various knives available depending on what you want to do with the cutter. Also, in the back of the cutter is a small diameter wheel that runs the length of the cutter just like on reel mowers allowing for much better terrain following than rotary decks that can scalp.

Last edited:

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Thanks for asking skeets. I was just wondering the same thing.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/118882-lets-talk-flail-mowers.html

Flails give a better cut and chews everything into smaller pieces. It's also a much smaller profile and thus more maneuverable. It's a much better all-around cutter. There is slightly more maintenance on its knives; the benefits certainly outweigh that maintenance. There are also various knives available depending on what you want to do with the cutter. Also, in the back of the cutter is a small diameter wheel that runs the length of the cutter just like on reel mowers allowing for much better terrain following than rotary decks that can scalp.
To add to what he just posted. A flail mower can be great along roadsides and buildings as it does NOT fling crap everywhere like a bush hog does. If you've ever kicked up something with a hog you know its anybodies guess where it'll land.

Also its really a combined cutter. You can rough cut a field like a bush hog and take it to your front yard and cut like the fairways on the 9th hole.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
To add to what he just posted. A flail mower can be great along roadsides and buildings as it does NOT fling crap everywhere like a bush hog does. If you've ever kicked up something with a hog you know its anybodies guess where it'll land.

Also its really a combined cutter. You can rough cut a field like a bush hog and take it to your front yard and cut like the fairways on the 9th hole.
Thank you Eric. That really helps me a lot!!! :) Guess I need to start looking around to see if I can find a used flail mower in decent condition.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA

Also, unlike a rotary, they do not turn dust into a zero visibility nose filling mess!

One day I was cutting an area I just planted w/ grass that runs along our road. I was able to read the wind that was blowing just a few MPH to my back and to my right. I started making the pass in 1H and noticed it was creating a massive blackout dust cloud. Well after 500' I turned to watch it and as it cleared thinking 'damn I'm glad I timed that right'. After a minute or so it cleared to reveal a red ford ranger had been hiding in it. Why he thought it a good idea to drive into a cloud of dust that was obvious he couldn't see through, is beyond me. He got a pretty good dusting, and carried on once it cleared.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Why he thought it a good idea to drive into a cloud of dust that was obvious he couldn't see through, is beyond me.
Thousands of people do it out here several times a year, usually resulting crashes & fatalities. Some people are just morons…..

Attachments

tonyvkubota

Equipment
2013/B3200HST/L504 loader/60" rotary finish mower/ 60"brush hog
Dec 14, 2013
ny
Hello all! I have been lurking for a few weeks and getting a great education from all of you! I recently purchased 45 acres in TN that I will move to next year. I want a tractor for mowing about 4 acres of flat, damp "pasture", logging, clearing woods, installing drainage tiles, maintaining a 1/2 mile gravel driveway and generally having fun! I have never owned a tractor. I am a city boy who is ready to retire in the beautiful, hikeable, though somewhat steep hills.

I am thinking B2620.
I am wondering if anyone can recommend a flail mower for it. Or is the B2620 too small for a flail?

Thank you for any advice and comment.

Chris
Hi Chris, Congratulation on coming change in lifestyle. My situation is just like your. I have 70 acres upstate NY, and I am doing the same type of things you are talking about. They call me a transplant my neighbors. I work in NYC, had the property for 30 years with a cottage for hunting. Just built a new home, and ready to move there full time.
As for the tractor I did have a old Ford 9N, and just bought a new Kubota B3200 HST. For your question on size of tractor, my opinion, go big as you can afford. You will always want more hp/weight of tractor as time goes by.
I cannot believe how much work I get done with the front end loader on my B3200, I probally do 3 days work clearing land in one day with the tractor. No more dragging and piling tree tops by hand. Just sit on the tractor and push and pile them tree tops.
Couple pointers, make sure you test drive a few models, me personally I love my HST tranny, never will miss clutching, and shifting dam gears. I also have a long drive way, and went with B3200 for the mid front pto to put a front snow blower on it ( when I save up the pennies ), I do not want to be blowing snow looking over my shoulder, in reverse.
I really cannot stress get much as you can afford. On this site is many experience guys ready to help with advice. Me, I am a novice, but answered to this thread because we have such similar situation.
I have to ask, how did you pick TN for location for the lifestyle change ? Here in NY, taxes are getting crazy, and I like to keep in mind maybe relocating one day to a more friendly tax state. Just curious.
Hope this help you. P. S., I run a 5 foot finish mower ( Brush hog brand ) behind the B3200, had it on my old tractor, cannot kill it, and it does nice job.

tonyvkubota

Equipment
2013/B3200HST/L504 loader/60" rotary finish mower/ 60"brush hog
Dec 14, 2013
ny
Hello all! I have been lurking for a few weeks and getting a great education from all of you! I recently purchased 45 acres in TN that I will move to next year. I want a tractor for mowing about 4 acres of flat, damp "pasture", logging, clearing woods, installing drainage tiles, maintaining a 1/2 mile gravel driveway and generally having fun! I have never owned a tractor. I am a city boy who is ready to retire in the beautiful, hikeable, though somewhat steep hills.

I am thinking B2620.
I am wondering if anyone can recommend a flail mower for it. Or is the B2620 too small for a flail?

Thank you for any advice and comment.

Chris
Hi Chris, I just reread all the reply`s to you again. I have to admit, I see several guys telling you go with L series for what you want to do. I really think they are very correct. Especially depending how much you get into that logging. At minimum you would need the largest B series, and just might be wishing you were in the L series in a short time. I cannot say anything about the mowers, I never used or maintain a flail mower. But I am happy with my rotary finish mower. Good luck. TONY

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
To my "mower-inexperiened" eye, the only drawback I see with flail mowers is the initial cost. They seem to do a great job over a wide variety of terrain. Even changing blades is not expensive, difficult, or time consuming, at least that was my experience when I helped a buddy re-blade his.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
To my "mower-inexperiened" eye, the only drawback I see with flail mowers is the initial cost. They seem to do a great job over a wide variety of terrain. Even changing blades is not expensive, difficult, or time consuming, at least that was my experience when I helped a buddy re-blade his.
The larger Caroni (73") from AG Supply ($1900) is about the same price as a landpride 1872 cutter.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Value Leader has a 68" heavy duty flail mower for $1,700
http://www.value-leader.com/categories/Mower/?sort=featured&page=1

If I had the money to spare I'd buy one of these in a heart beat for my B6100. I'd take a chance on them.
Bah, I wouldn't buy a value-leader item when I know how to order DIRECTLY from the MFGr in PRC....

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=flail+mower

When buying Chinese products, you'll save the most money by buying it from a China-man in China.

chrisDavis

Feb 11, 2014
Melbourne, Fl
Hello Tony:
I started off looking at "big" lawn tractors and now I am looking at L series! At this point 4x4 and stability on hills (safety) is my number one concern. I think HST is the way I will go because my wife wants to mow the fields and she has never gotten the hang of gears/clutches.

Most L series I see don't have a back hoe. I wanted a one for running drainage pipes and digging holes for fruit trees. But it looks pretty expensive for an add on.

A fellow here in Cocoa has an L4400HST with bush hog, straight blade , and box blade for $20K. About 50 hours use and "one" scratch. I really want a flail mower -- especially if it will work for bush hogging, too. Flails don't seem very popular, though.

Tennessee is as far north as I could see my Florida native honey moving. Folks there seem very friendly. Sales taxes are high (10%), but no income taxes. They do have some sort of dividend/interest tax. Apparently some people drive out of state to purchase big ticket items to save on the sales taxes.

Land where I bought is not too expensive. I paid about $1400/acre for my property. It has a couple of small creeks, a cave for moonshining ;), pretty "mountain" and pasture views, and enough pasture for a small garden and shooting range. It gets enough snow to create a good mood, but not so much that I will be blowing it off the driveway.

Thanks for your comments and those of everyone else here. I don't know jack about tractors, so everyone's comments and experiences are gold to me.

Chris

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Hello Tony:
I started off looking at "big" lawn tractors and now I am looking at L series! At this point 4x4 and stability on hills (safety) is my number one concern. I think HST is the way I will go because my wife wants to mow the fields and she has never gotten the hang of gears/clutches.

Most L series I see don't have a back hoe. I wanted a one for running drainage pipes and digging holes for fruit trees. But it looks pretty expensive for an add on.

A fellow here in Cocoa has an L4400HST with bush hog, straight blade , and box blade for $20K. About 50 hours use and "one" scratch. I really want a flail mower -- especially if it will work for bush hogging, too. Flails don't seem very popular, though.

Tennessee is as far north as I could see my Florida native honey moving. Folks there seem very friendly. Sales taxes are high (10%), but no income taxes. They do have some sort of dividend/interest tax. Apparently some people drive out of state to purchase big ticket items to save on the sales taxes.

Land where I bought is not too expensive. I paid about $1400/acre for my property. It has a couple of small creeks, a cave for moonshining ;), pretty "mountain" and pasture views, and enough pasture for a small garden and shooting range. It gets enough snow to create a good mood, but not so much that I will be blowing it off the driveway.

Thanks for your comments and those of everyone else here. I don't know jack about tractors, so everyone's comments and experiences are gold to me.

Chris
Chris,

Your question is a wise one. Now, think about how much you will or would use the tractor for.

As an example, one fellow wanted to purchase a tractor that would pull a 3 bottom plow for the purpose of putting in a large garden. Most of the OT's suggested getting a local farmer to plow that for him as it was a one time use. The result was that he didn't need the larger tractor for his small 8 acre plot.

The same is likely true for you. Think about the future. For example, regarding a backhoe...unless you will use it regularly, then don't get it. Hire it done and put the money into a larger more stable tractor.

We love our L3700SU (same as L3800). The HST makes it easy for my wife to drive it and use its many capabilities. Our Grandson and Nephews do a fine job with it also. It's stable enough to do some hills here and has helped us build whatever we wanted. Snow removal is a cinch with the blade, bucket and 4WD.

Your research will be very handy in the future.

Welcome to the Orange side.

Burt

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va