Flail implement for tractor

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
What's your recommendation on yard maintenance?
I'm looking at a flail type mower or finish mower to cut my grass.
Thanks SammyD

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
What's your recommendation on yard maintenance?
I'm looking at a flail type mower or finish mower to cut my grass.
Thanks SammyD

Here's what I'm looking at

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Only problem I've found with any mower that mounts on the rear of the tractor is that the tractor tires press the grass against the ground and that part doesn't get mowed. A day later that grass stands back up, nice and tall, so you can tell exactly where the tractor tires tracked! Not so good if you want a "finished" look to your lawn.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Flail mowers can do anything from cutting up brush to mowing a pasture to finely clipping a lawn. It really comes down to drum speed and blade selection. You may not be able to change the speed much on a given unit but, there will be a lot of blade styles to pick from.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Agree w/ Botamon,

Dislike driving over the grass before mowing. For the first time in many years, this season will see a FEL mounted finish mower, hydraulically driven. The anticipation is dampened a bit by today's 20 degree F temps and light snow. Flail mowers tend to consume significant HP.

Curious, you mow the lawn w/ a 7060? very nice machine, incidentally. Thought I was overkill using a MX.

Last edited:

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Agree w/ Botamon,

Dislike driving over the grass before mowing. For the first time in many years, this season will see a FEL mounted finish mower, hydraulically driven. The anticipation is dampened a bit by today's 20 degree F temps and light snow. Flail mowers tend to consume significant HP.

Curious, you mow the lawn w/ a 7060? very nice machine, incidentally. Thought I was overkill using a MX.
No, no lawn mowing! I mow 50 acres of desert cheatgrass (awful stuff) a couple times a year to minimize fire danger. Just wanted to point out to the OP what happens when you use a rear-mounted mower. With tall cheatgrass, a day or so after mowing it's all standing tall again where the tractor tires had pressed it down so the mower couldn't get to it. And I have to use a rotary mower because I am mowing uneven desert with what seems like millions of ground squirrel mounds, badger holes, etc., that just destroy anything but a heavy-duty rotary. It would be nice if I could use a side-mount sickle-bar mower, kind I operated as a kid, but they don't mow dirt very well.....

Just got the M7060, haven't mowed with it yet. Been using a 50 year old John Deere 2020 diesel for the past 20 years and its going to be nice to mow while seated in a cab and out of the dust and dirt kicked up by the mower.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
With tall cheatgrass, a day or so after mowing it's all standing tall again where the tractor tires had pressed it down so the mower couldn't get to it.
Have you tied a fail mower, I thing you would be pleased with the results better than a rotory, because even if the tractors tire smash it down the fliles will pick it back up, and cut it, it has a vacuum effect as it passes over the material to be cut. ;)

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
Sammyb, Flail mower hands down. ;)
Thanks for all your comments......
Well I ended up buying a used flail mower since I really don't know if I that's what I want to use on my tractor. If I really like the end result with the "Y" blades then there you go.
I think from what I've gathered from your comments is, the challenge will be when to cut.
Another question is, where can I purchase new blades for my mower?
Thanks again
SammyD

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You can order most any flail mower parts from FLAIL-MASTER, 800-251-4020.

I have three of them, a 5', 6', 7'. The 6 footer was abused when I got it. I had to do some fixing up. It's still beat up, but cuts! The 7 footer has trail wheels. I have used it to mow high to knock off the weeds in a pasture. I have never experienced a problem with a flail mower consuming PTO power. When adjusted with the proper knifes they will cut every bit as nice, if not nicer, that most finish mowers.

I also use the 6' to cut weeds that are 5-6' tall on my manure pile. I usually leave the roller about 10" off the ground the first time, then lower it.

There's about a years reading (on just flail mowers)on another forum.

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
You can order most any flail mower parts from FLAIL-MASTER, 800-251-4020.

I have three of them, a 5', 6', 7'. The 6 footer was abused when I got it. I had to do some fixing up. It's still beat up, but cuts! The 7 footer has trail wheels. I have used it to mow high to knock off the weeds in a pasture. I have never experienced a problem with a flail mower consuming PTO power. When adjusted with the proper knifes they will cut every bit as nice, if not nicer, that most finish mowers.

I also use the 6' to cut weeds that are 5-6' tall on my manure pile. I usually leave the roller about 10" off the ground the first time, then lower it.

There's about a years reading (on just flail mowers)on another forum.
So the guy I bought this mower from said I needed to remember to check the oils in it.
Is he referring to the gear box?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Yes, the gearbox is the only place for oil (80-90W, or you could use heavier if you have it). Grease fitting on the ends of roller, pulley shaft (usually under the shield), PTO shaft.

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
Yes, the gearbox is the only place for oil (80-90W, or you could use heavier if you have it). Grease fitting on the ends of roller, pulley shaft (usually under the shield), PTO shaft.
Ok so I just fill it up through the valve on top of the gear box

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI

Do not completely fill the gearbox. There should be a plug about half way up the side, the gearbox is full when it runs out the side plug.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA

Usually there are three plugs on these type of gear boxes. The bottom one is a drain, the middle is the fill level, and the top is the fill hole. Remove the top and middle plug. Fill through the top until fluid flows out of the middle.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
If there is no side plug to indicate when it's full, remove the FILL plug and insert a piece of wire down to the shaft (if you can't see it) as a marker. Then add oil until the shaft is just covered.

After using it and you discover it is leaking oil, you can always use some "corn head" grease. Will save a bunch of work and the gearbox will still be fine.

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
If there is no side plug to indicate when it's full, remove the FILL plug and insert a piece of wire down to the shaft (if you can't see it) as a marker. Then add oil until the shaft is just covered.

After using it and you discover it is leaking oil, you can always use some "corn head" grease. Will save a bunch of work and the gearbox will still be fine.
Are the Y blades reversible?