First time using my front (FEL) mount snow blade

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
I've been searching threads for a while to get ideas for when the snow would come, but WOW!!! I never expected it to be this difficult. I have plowed snow for 35 years with a rear blade and the last couple of years with the bobcat and bucket. I guess I expected the change to a B2650 and front mount snow blade to be "cake walk", but it was quite the contrary.

Granted, this is probably as bad as it will get, 6" of wet, wet, wet snow and soft gravel underneath. All the snow came at 32-35 degrees and had rain mixed with it the entire time.

I have my shoes set so there is ~ a 3/4" space. I tried to float going very slow, but kept digging in (front wheels kept coming off the ground). I tried no float and controlling myself (did a terrible amount of scalping) I ended up going over everything again using my box blade to clean it up and get rid of all the chunks I left all over the place.

Another issue I have in an uneven surface. I have ~450' of gravel road at an 8 degree slope with 2 sharp "S" turns and pretty good grade from side to side. Many times one side of the blade would be digging in and the other side would be 3" off of the surface. Not sure there's anything that can be done, but re-work the road next year (Brand new house and road this year)?.?.

Like I said, I read everything I could find on the subject, but if your willing, I would love to here you ideas to my particular situation.

Thanks

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I've been searching threads for a while to get ideas for when the snow would come, but WOW!!! I never expected it to be this difficult. I have plowed snow for 35 years with a rear blade and the last couple of years with the bobcat and bucket. I guess I expected the change to a B2650 and front mount snow blade to be "cake walk", but it was quite the contrary.

Granted, this is probably as bad as it will get, 6" of wet, wet, wet snow and soft gravel underneath. All the snow came at 32-35 degrees and had rain mixed with it the entire time.

I have my shoes set so there is ~ a 3/4" space. I tried to float going very slow, but kept digging in (front wheels kept coming off the ground). I tried no float and controlling myself (did a terrible amount of scalping) I ended up going over everything again using my box blade to clean it up and get rid of all the chunks I left all over the place.

Another issue I have in an uneven surface. I have ~450' of gravel road at an 8 degree slope with 2 sharp "S" turns and pretty good grade from side to side. Many times one side of the blade would be digging in and the other side would be 3" off of the surface. Not sure there's anything that can be done, but re-work the road next year (Brand new house and road this year)?.?.

Like I said, I read everything I could find on the subject, but if your willing, I would love to here you ideas to my particular situation.

Thanks
You hit the jackpot for difficult plowing situations.
My driveway while not as long, is just as hard to plow as yours and in this specific situation, I find it almost impossible to avoid tearing things up with the front blade.
This is one of the reasons I keep the box blade mounted.
I use it to push snow backwards, as it floats better than my front blade and smoothes things out.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Keep your blade tilted back in situations like that. Run loader down some with the tilt cylinders back. That will help keep it from digging in so much.

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I have a quarter mile drive with two 90 degree turns on a hill, similar to your situation. With heavy wet snow try taking smaller bites. Wet snow will push you around if you take too much. As others have said angle the blade back towards you as well.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I've got a 1000' gravel drive with a steep hill and no matter how much you try to plow with the front plow you will dig up the gravel if it isn't frozen. I always say the two worst snow storms are the first and the last because the driveway is not frozen yet or thawed out for spring. I use my rear blade backwards as it can be angled and the mold board will push the snow away but smooth out the gravel in the drive.

Attachments

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Only 6",why not just leave it lay and drive over? Assuming living in such a place you have a 4WD truck.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
BAP hit it right on, tilt the blade back a bit and experiment with how it impacts the front wheels. Go check my thread, I just bought an 10 foot county power angle snowplow with a 2 pin QD mount attached. Not sure if my M9 will handle it, but we will find out I guess..

Last edited:

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
:D
Keep your blade tilted back in situations like that. Run loader down some with the tilt cylinders back. That will help keep it from digging in so much.
A lot of people are agreeing with this technique. Do you go without the skid shoes? If I recall, tilting the blade back would make the blade run higher the more you tilt if the shoes were on.

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
Only 6",why not just leave it lay and drive over? Assuming living in such a place you have a 4WD truck.

I guess I was afraid it would turn into an ice rink. I have a 4’ drop off one one side of the driveway and a 15 foot high, 30 degree slope on the other side. I drive 110 mile a day to work and back. I could take my 4x4 truck, but my front wheel drive Jetta tdi gets 32 mpg better than the truck. Driving the truck everyday could get costly. I just like to get rid of the snow rather than drive over it and pack it down.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I guess I was afraid it would turn into an ice rink. I have a 4’ drop off one one side of the driveway and a 15 foot high, 30 degree slope on the other side. I drive 110 mile a day to work and back. I could take my 4x4 truck, but my front wheel drive Jetta tdi gets 32 mpg better than the truck. Driving the truck everyday could get costly. I just like to get rid of the snow rather than drive over it and pack it down.
Understood. When plowing conditions are less than ideal, you could make tracks with your truck or tractor, treat with sand/salt, then your VW should be good to go. Wife & I both have 4x4 daily drivers, so I don't get too eager to break out the tractor unless it gets really bad.

npalen

Equipment
B9200
Feb 10, 2016
Beloit, KS
I'm wondering how tilting the blade back works when angling the blade to either side. Doesn't sound like it would end well.

Edit: Perhaps I'm not understanding how the blade is tilted back but if the pivot point for angling the blade is not in a vertical plane........

Last edited:

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I use a snow pusher box on the front of my BX, works easier and ALOT faster than my blade.
I drop the sno-pusher, click into float, works fantastic. And i`m plowing a gravel driveway as well.

jmusits

Equipment
B2301, L434 Loader, B2673 w/ Hyd. Angle, EA 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
Mar 26, 2017
Greenfield Center, NY
I'm wondering how tilting the blade back works when angling the blade to either side. Doesn't sound like it would end well.
This is what I often struggle with. Since the tilt is inline with the tractor front to back, not on the vertical of the blade, when the blade is angled you have to have the tilt in a specific position. Otherwise either the left bottom corner will be higher than the right (or vice-versa). For me it also seems that the correct tilt position is dependent on how much the blade is angled (or maybe it is just more pronounced as steeper angled).

Is there an adjustment or technique that I am missing?

npalen

Equipment
B9200
Feb 10, 2016
Beloit, KS
I'm certainly no snow plow expert but one mounted on a front end loader should use the bucket tilt to keep the angle pivot vertical. That would prevent one end changing elevation relative to the other when the blade is angled left or right.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I've got a 1000' gravel drive with a steep hill and no matter how much you try to plow with the front plow you will dig up the gravel if it isn't frozen. I always say the two worst snow storms are the first and the last because the driveway is not frozen yet or thawed out for spring. I use my rear blade backwards as it can be angled and the mold board will push the snow away but smooth out the gravel in the drive.
Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused how you go about using the rear blade backwards? Do you leave it like it is and drive backwards? Just need clarification

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused how you go about using the rear blade backwards? Do you leave it like it is and drive backwards? Just need clarification

Hi Mister, yes it is called back blading. Keep the blade pointed forward just like you usually have it. You go in reverse on the tractor and use the rounded side of the blade (ie the back side...hence back blading). It is much better at distributing material, and doesnt cut in.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Hi Mister, yes it is called back blading. Keep the blade pointed forward just like you usually have it. You go in reverse on the tractor and use the rounded side of the blade (ie the back side...hence back blading). It is much better at distributing material, and doesnt cut in.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give that a try

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I'm certainly no snow plow expert but one mounted on a front end loader should use the bucket tilt to keep the angle pivot vertical. That would prevent one end changing elevation relative to the other when the blade is angled left or right.
You nailed it perfectly! I had to run my front blade a few hours before I stumb led upon that method of operation.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Wow... I'm really feeling spoiled with my box scrapers. I set the top link of the 3PTH to the correct length to control the amount of "bite" the blade takes, then just drop the blade and drag the snow forward into a windrow that I can then remove with the snowblower. Works a charm on gravel. One of my box scrapers has a plastic cutting edge while the other has the original steel edges - they work equally well, though the plastic edge leaves no hint of a mark on asphalt.