First Real Problem with my L185DT

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Good evening all,

Yesterday when working in the awesome weather I suddenly detected an intermittent squeaky barking-type sound (no, I didn't run my dog over). I immediately reduced RPMs and started to work my way back to the shop, in case I had a motor bearing or something going bad. The sound was definitely RPM-dependent.

When I stopped to open a gate, the noise abruptly stopped. I cautiously revved the motor up and there was no sound, so I went back to work. Tractor ran great all the rest of the day, even tolerated being shut down and allowed to cool for lunch and TV time (roughly 2 hours) before being restarted to complete more work.

I parked it in the shop to do an oil change, which I started last night and completed with a fresh engine oil filter and new oil. I cranked it with the fuel shut-off and decomp knob out until the oil light went out, then it started like a dream.

Here's where things went pear-shaped for my until-now perfectly-running tractor. Once it started and I got idle established, I noticed the squeaking chirpy-barky sound was back, and I was immediately able to identify the source: cooling fan was only turning intermittently and the belt was making a heck of a racket.

Shut it down and now numerous pieces are strewn about the shop in preparation for the replacement effort. I assume I need to drain the cooling system and remove the radiator for proper access?

Any advice is appreciated, my friends.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Im sure removing rad will make access much easier. Take a few photos and share your process of repair.

My shop air compressor started making unusual noise the other day. Then the belt rolled over and died. Cheap fix.

I believe its bearings that need replacing in your case.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Bearings were definitely bad.

The radiator was full of mud too

Anyone done this before and had trouble getting the spacer (silver, above the bearing on the shaft) off of the shaft to get the forward bearing off?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You're surely going to replace that bearing also. Just put you puller under the bearing and bring the whole think off!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A few words of caution. Put the nut back on to prevent damaging threads. Tighen it until its almost flush with the stud.
Dont force the pulley with a jaw puller, you dont want to bend or break it.
If you know someone with a hydraulic press it would be the best way to dismantle. A wee bit of heat may help get things moving.
A heavy wall pipe to fit over hub and to set pulley on,a few raps with a hammer may get it apart. You dont want to beat on it too much, again to risk damaging threads. Looking back at photo there is a shoulder below threads, would be the best area to drive on, deep socket or a heavy wall pipe.

And lastly, it would be a good idea to keep rad clean. Thermosiphon cooling is dependent on good airflow through radiator.

Last edited:

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Thanks Tooljunkie, I dragged the rad out to the yard hydrant and rehydrated as much of that mud as I could in the dark. I'll be hosing and compressed air blowing the remaining crap out this evening.

I'm super concerned about destroying the pulley so I haven't beaten on it much yet. I have tried heat, and left the mating surfaces soaked in 3-in-1 oil, but it may be time to get a can or two of penetrating oil

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
And the tractor is back together as of last night. This morning I took it out and pushed a heavy pile of mud and grass across the yard to make sure it was going to be alright.

Thanks all who offered advice, workshop manuals, and suggestions.