First Oil Change - Now or Later?

dxhound

Equipment
BX1870, LA203A, RCK48-18BX
Mar 6, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
Hello,

I'm a happy owner of a BX1870 which I purchased in June last year. With some mowing, moving some dirt and (lately) snow, I have 22 hours on it.

Wondering if it's wise to just do the 50 hr first scheduled maintenance early, before this spring, or wait until I hit 50 hours.

Oil looks a bit black but nothing unusual. I have not had to add any fluids to date except for a small touch of coolant.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

dxhound

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I see no reason to change so early, I'm sure some will disagree.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Wait until around 50 hours. Guess what else. ;) Most diesel oils will look black to varying degrees after 22 hours. It's meant to do that. If you changed that oil now, your new oil will likely look black after 22 hours too.

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
Personally I would wait. Time is no match for use when it comes to breaking it in. Even if it took you till after summer I would get a good 50hrs on before i changed stuff. I just did my service this weekend at 50.9hrs. I went ahead and changed my hydro fluid too instead of the just filter and glad I did. Found a bunch of extra liquid gasket material / RVT that squished out during assembly and into my transaxle and fluid. Still some left in there too so I plan on getting dealer to spring for another flush in 50 more hours hopefully getting it all out by then.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
dxhound,

One of the diesel 'sperts here mentioned some manufacturers send their engines out filled with a specialized mineral oil designed for break in. Not sure if Kubota does but, 50 hours is plenty conservative. The previous owner on my nice little machine did nada/zippo/bupkiss/nothing for 126 hours. I changed the oil as soon as I got it and have lived happily ever since. I am going to change the oil every 100 hours despite the 200 hour interval. Even BMW is saying you can go 15,000 mi on their first oil change (based on oil computer computations) but I think somebody is trying to get me to buy a new car because the engine wore out prematurely. (Gosh, who might say that?)

After your engine gets worn in and the rings seat, you will find the oil stays pretty clean for about 60-75 hours and then starts to show the gook. By 100 hours, it is pretty hard to see through it and I think there is enough suspended particulate matter that wear could occur. But, that is just me.

Welcome! And ENJOY!!!

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I am in a similar situation with my L3800, it's a year old with 20 hours on the meter. I will change the oil when I get back home. And then do it again at 50 hours. But I also change the oil in my Dodge Diesel yearly whether I drive 5000 miles or not. There are more reasons to change fluids than hours and time is one of them.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Probably most won't agree with me on this but if it was mine I would go ahead and change it now. Yeah it's a little early but why not go ahead and have it done and ready for the year. I would much rather do it now while it's cool instead of doing it during the summer heat but that's just me.

Unless you are putting a ton of hrs one change a year will be enough so this would be the prime time to establish your PM program. Get a schedule worked out that fits your timeline so you can keep your baby in top shape. Have everything done and out of the way, ready for summer projects and / or hunny do list.

$.02 :cool:

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
Probably most won't agree with me on this but if it was mine I would go ahead and change it now. Yeah it's a little early but why not go ahead and have it done and ready for the year. I would much rather do it now while it's cool instead of doing it during the summer heat but that's just me.

Unless you are putting a ton of hrs one change a year will be enough so this would be the prime time to establish your PM program. Get a schedule worked out that fits your timeline so you can keep your baby in top shape. Have everything done and out of the way, ready for summer projects and / or hunny do list.

$.02 :cool:
He aint lyin~

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
dxhound, lots of very good advice (both ways), so you're still gonna hafta make the choice you were hoping to off-load onto these bums. But they did give you some valuable factors to consider!

I'd like to suggest that, if you lean toward an 'early' service, that you wait until spring (after the last frost). Then you'll do it in more comfort, and will be ready for the workout she'll no doubt get in late spring and next summer.

Whatever you decide, developing a 'pattern' is probably the best thing you do. i.e., to do a regular service, whether on an hourly basis or a calendar basis, and don't exceed your pattern more than 20%, whether hours or days.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Well spring is around the corner.
I would make a honey do list and make up the hours.
Should only take a couple of weekends.
That is how I racked up my hours before winter set in.
And if you can not sleep because of it, just change it now and still continue the breakin practices and change the oil at 50h.
Ray

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Why guess? I have had 1 of these lubricheck units, for 3 years, now. Never blown up a motor, yet, some of the units I have been running on amzoil haven't had an oil change, in 15+ years, just filters, and some make up oil. Here's the link, watch the video...:D

http://www.lubricheck.com/

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
When I said get 50 I was referring to just break in just incase there is special additives etc from Kubota. I know I wont be waiting 200 in between each service as that would probable be close to 2-3 years in-between oil changes for me. I believe its a "once a year" minimum when it comes to equipment service. While ill never do 200 hours in a year I will still change the oil/filter in both my engine and hydro yearly for the life of the machine. 150 a year in fluids/filters/ an grease is a small price to pay for the additional insurance and piece of mind you receive. You cant over maintain equipment in my opinion.

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
I've always changed fluids according to the manual. Good enough for me, and don't see any point in changing early.;)

dxhound

Equipment
BX1870, LA203A, RCK48-18BX
Mar 6, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
Thanks for all the replies. I assumed there would not be "one answer" to the question, but the reasons behind the answers are valuable.

I think what I'll do is just set up a yearly schedule....some time in June I'll do the 50 hr even if I'm not there yet.

Prior to the Kubota, I had a small Ford garden tractor with a gas engine. Kept that puppy running for over 25 years by just following a yearly schedule. The deck finally got to the point where patching holes was not an option. Plus parts were hard to find. Sold it to a fellow in Pennsylvania who plans to turn it into a racing tractor !

dxhound