Fire - warranty coverage?

Orangejuice

Equipment
ZD331
Nov 6, 2015
Pickens SC
I own a 2019 Grand L 6060 HSTC. I was bushhogging the other day and saw the regen light illuminate. Then I smelled something and then I saw smoke. Immediately stopped the engine, opened the cowl and at the back of the engine there was a small fire burning (see photos). I put the fire out quickly (poured water on it). The tractor starts but there’s diesel fuel dripping from one of the lines. I had a diesel mechanic look at it and the estimate to replace the engine wiring harness is around 5k. Does this seem reasonable? Many thanks. JW
IMG_4719.jpeg

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Do by chance have Kubota insurance on this tractor?

If not - have you checked with your home owner insurance policy to see if it covers that?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Seems low to me. There's 3 'wiring harnesses' I can find, EACH is $2K CDN ! The big issue are what's connected to the harnesses(sensors,switches, etc.) If their ends are damaged, probably 'need' to replace those as well. I do NOT suggest the 'cut/solder tape' method that Nissan Canada approves and uses !!!!
I suspect the 'estimate' will cost closer to $10K 'out the door- field ready'.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do by chance have Kubota insurance on this tractor?

If not - have you checked with your home owner insurance policy to see if it covers that?
Checking on available insurance coverage is certainly a positive step…. but it’s likely any homeowners policy has a 3% (approx) deductible. This would mean that a home would have to be insured for at least $170K before insurance would even come Close…to matching the existing bid for the harness replacement.…. and in a case such as this…. “Close”… means a “Wash”…. and likely higher premiums after all the paperwork is done. I.E. — A homeowner’s claim would be a poor choice.

Before I’d spend $5K … I’d personally accomplish the repair using the “cut/solder/tape” method.

(If the OP considers himself unsuitable for this repair…. a radio or avionics/electrical repair person charging $125/hr could likely accomplish this in one day…for less than $1250.)

Is the “dripping” fuel line at a connection..?? perhaps with a fire-damaged O-ring which can be replaced..?

Or is it a plastic return line…?? Can you pic the area of the drip?

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I own a 2019 Grand L 6060 HSTC. I was bushhogging the other day and saw the regen light illuminate. Then I smelled something and then I saw smoke. Immediately stopped the engine, opened the cowl and at the back of the engine there was a small fire burning (see photos). I put the fire out quickly (poured water on it). The tractor starts but there’s diesel fuel dripping from one of the lines. I had a diesel mechanic look at it and the estimate to replace the engine wiring harness is around 5k. Does this seem reasonable? Many thanks. JW View attachment 126534
Probably a GOOD idea to carry some sort of extinguisher.
5lb dry chemical makes a mess, but is cheap, and can save a tractor.
Meaningful fuel leak/spill cannot be extinguished with water.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: a radio or avionics/electrical repair person charging $125/hr could likely accomplish this in one day…for less than $1250.)
That's very optimistic , and I was trained as an Avionics tech !

Now IF the entire engine/dash areas were perfectly cleaned BEFORE coming to me, you still have to open each leg of the harnesses, check for damage, confirm/deny EACH wire is good/bad. ANY fire damaged connector has to be replaced, then tested. You'll obviously have to have GOOD wiring diagrams for THAT tractor( I saw 3 different versions of the harnesses ! ). All 'sensors' that have damaged wiring should be replaced , at least properly bench tested for correct operation. All replaced wiring needs to be SAME colour and gauge of course, for future trouble shooting.

IF it's ONLY the engine harness that IS damaged...1 day to remove and inspect, 1 day to repair, 1 day to test, 1 day to cross fingers and start engine.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: a radio or avionics/electrical repair person charging $125/hr could likely accomplish this in one day…for less than $1250.)
That's very optimistic , and I was trained as an Avionics tech !

Now IF the entire engine/dash areas were perfectly cleaned BEFORE coming to me, you still have to open each leg of the harnesses, check for damage, confirm/deny EACH wire is good/bad. ANY fire damaged connector has to be replaced, then tested. You'll obviously have to have GOOD wiring diagrams for THAT tractor( I saw 3 different versions of the harnesses ! ). All 'sensors' that have damaged wiring should be replaced , at least properly bench tested for correct operation. All replaced wiring needs to be SAME colour and gauge of course, for future trouble shooting.

IF it's ONLY the engine harness that IS damaged...1 day to remove and inspect, 1 day to repair, 1 day to test, 1 day to cross fingers and start engine.
Yeah,.......But that $1250 is in USD = $250 CAD? :giggle:
Well,.... not really,..... but $1736 at today's rate.
NOTE: I absolutely HATE that the CAD/USD exchange rate is so pathetically low.
And....I LIVE in the USA!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
One of the refresher-classes I had to take was conducted by one of the absolutely CUTEST Flight-Attendant instructors I’ve ever seen….and she was also one of the BEST instructors …because she made things MEMORABLE.
Here’s how she taught the various “classes” of Fire Extingruishers:

Class “A” - is for things that will make an ASH…such as wood, fabric, or paper, etc.

Class “B”- is for things that can BOIL…such as gasoline, oil, jet-fuel, etc.

Class “C”- is for things that can CONDUCT electricity… such as wiring-harnesses, transformers, radios, etc.

I can still see that petite brunette demonstrating how to get a large group of people to FOLLOW HER ….. MMmmnnn…… :love: … But when She Told You to DO SOMETHING…. You DID IT!

IMG_2652.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
One of the refresher-classes I had to take was conducted by one of the absolutely CUTEST Flight-Attendant instructors I’ve ever seen….and she was also one of the BEST instructors …because she made things MEMORABLE.
Here’s how she taught the various “classes” of Fire Extingruishers:

Class “A” - is for things that will make an ASH…such as wood, fabric, or paper, etc.

Class “B”- is for things that can BOIL…such as gasoline, oil, jet-fuel, etc.

Class “C”- is for things that can CONDUCT electricity… such as wiring-harnesses, transformers, etc.

I can still see that drop-dead gorgeous petite brunette demonstrating how to get a large group of people to FOLLOW HER out of an airplane fuselage….. MMmmnnn…… :love:

View attachment 126542
That musta been a Looooong time ago!
That "drop-dead gorgeous petite brunette" is long gone from the airline world.
Her daughter is there now.
She cannot even fit through a wide open Alaska over wing emergency exit! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Ya, Dont run it anymore than you have to. Next will be an electrical fire. Sure if you have insurance it should be easy. Otherwise if it was me Id source a used harness, even one from a different 4 cyl. As it looks like the injector pigtails, and the injector solenoid may be toast. The solenoids are removable, so you could just swap them from used injectors. The compensation shouldn't be an issue unless you change the body. The part leaking is the fuel return lines. Should be few bucks from Messick's. I would say anyone worth their salt can fix it for $500. A whole harness would be time consuming, and not necessary. This is coming from a mechanic/body guy. Id offer to fix it if you were closer...

For prevention, pop that hood more often. Rodents/birds like to build nests.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
THAT…is Great Advice. I clean my air filter every 100 hrs (which is every oil change/once a year)…. and I am always surprised to see how much fodder is in there under the hood…and caught in the radiator-screen….simply from mowing/shredding. …definitely a fire-hazard.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I'm not saying do this - just another possibility.

Some of the protective covering looks melted. If the conductors underneath are OK, then it's not a big job replacing the covering.

Damaged conductors can be spliced; heat shrinked; or electrical tape wrapped. Then protective covering. Or, cut out the damaged area, splice in new everything across that boundary.

Plastic connectors can be replaced.

Hoses can be replaced.

Seems like a knee-jerk reaction these days is to replace everything.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm not saying do this - just another possibility.

Some of the protective covering looks melted. If the conductors underneath are OK, then it's not a big job replacing the covering.

Damaged conductors can be spliced; heat shrinked; or electrical tape wrapped. Then protective covering. Or, cut out the damaged area, splice in new everything across that boundary.

Plastic connectors can be replaced.

Hoses can be replaced.

Seems like a knee-jerk reaction these days is to replace everything.
Yup.......Throw away, and buy new......That is our current society!
Neighbor had good looking washer and dryer sitting out front.
I asked ...why?
She said: I was tired of them, and wanted new.
I said: Mind if I take the motors?
She said: Ok with me.
She came from a city lifestyle, I came from very rural.
We did not get electricity until I was almost 7.

Last edited:

Fastball714

Equipment
L4060HSTC, B3300SU
Feb 27, 2021
Georgia
Is there any chance that it was a bird nest that caused this? I've had wren nest on my tractors plenty of times.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ya, Dont run it anymore than you have to. Next will be an electrical fire. Sure if you have insurance it should be easy. Otherwise if it was me Id source a used harness, even one from a different 4 cyl. As it looks like the injector pigtails, and the injector solenoid may be toast. The solenoids are removable, so you could just swap them from used injectors. The compensation shouldn't be an issue unless you change the body. The part leaking is the fuel return lines. Should be few bucks from Messick's. I would say anyone worth their salt can fix it for $500. A whole harness would be time consuming, and not necessary. This is coming from a mechanic/body guy. Id offer to fix it if you were closer...

I think @kubotafreak gives solid advice.

I don't have the expertise he does, but my first thought was that could be pieced together, instead of a new harness......

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yup.......Throw away, and buy new......That is our current society!
Neighbor had good looking washer and dryer sitting out front.
I asked ...why?
She said: I was tired of them, and wanted new.
I said: Mind if I take the motors?
She said: Ok with me.
She came from a city lifestyle, I came from very rural.
We did not get electricity until I was almost 7.
It’s a VERY DIFFERENT WORLD we live in today….

Just today…I had to take my cell phone in for replacement because it’s been acting crazy. My $700 Motorola is 10 years old…so I had to replace it with a $1K Samsung…. which is SO GOODDAM COMPLICATED it cannot be used for a couple weeks until I figure it out…. but MeanWhile, I’ve lost years of data, msges, and images in the transfer…DESPITE my paying an additional $30 for Verizon to “transfer all data”…..and Now I’m paying $120/mo for telephone service….plus $30 / mo for service-add-ons I don’t even know if I need or not…. and now I’m Home with it (after six-hours wasted while they charged me $30 to transfer data …none-of-which can I find on the new phone at all)…. then there’s the “warranty” on the new device …which was not honored on the Old Device (because I’d supposedly cracked the screen in a place I’d never noticed…so the $4/mo I’ve been paying for a decade didn’t cover the replacement phone it was intended to for…
…. the point being that a $29 monthly bill for my 1960’s/1970’s telephone…has morphed into a $120/mo service charge to service my $1K telephone that doesn’t cooperate with me DESPITE being sold to me on the basis that it WOULD BE AN EXACT REPLACEMENT ITEM…. ..……

…this is a repeat of the Cable-Television Bait-and-Switch pulled when we were sold cable TV which would have no advertisements….. but nowadays actually spends 10-mins on adverts after every 7-mins of Actual-programming.…

I’m FED UP!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It’s a VERY DIFFERENT WORLD we live in today….

Just today…I had to take my cell phone in for replacement because it’s been acting crazy. My $700 Motorola is 10 years old…so I had to replace it with a $1K Samsung…. which is SO GOODDAM COMPLICATED it cannot be used for a couple weeks until I figure it out…. but MeanWhile, I’ve lost years of data, msges, and images in the transfer…and Now I’m paying$80/mo for service, plus 52//mo for service-add-ons I don’t even know if I need or not…. and now I’m Home with it (after six-hours wasted while they charged me $30 to transfer data …which I cannot find on the new phone at all)…. then there’s the “warranty” on the new device …which was not honored on the Old Device (because I’d supposedly cracked the screen in a place I’d never noticed…so the $4/mo I’ve been paying for a decade didn’t cover the replacement phone it was intended to for…
…. the point being that a $29 monthly bill for my 1960’s/1970’s telephone…has morphed into a $120/mo service charge to service my $1K telephone that doesn’t cooperate with me DESPITE being sold to me on the basis that it WOULD…..……

…this is a repeat of the Cable-Television Bait-and-Switch pulled when we were sold cable TV which would have no advertisements….. but nowadays actually spends 10-mins on adverts after every 7-mins of programming.…

I’m FED UP!
Similar scenario here!
I could not agree more!

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
You seem very nonchalant about that....

This was my first thought when I read this.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Although it's hard to tell the actual extent of the damage without inspecting it personally, it does not look too bad to me.

Before I dropped 2K on a harness, I would start peeling back all the protective coverings and assess the "actual" damage. You might be into this for just a days work with your "crimping tool" and a few splices, and a few parts that are actually bad.

The biggest question is going to be the "computer" part. What parts have to be "matched" using a scan tool, or would splicing things cause bigger headaches due to resistance changes or such?

Good luck with it. (y)

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
For example here is a connector

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385397474626?itmmeta=01HVS80C7136YESBHMDZMBTMMT&hash=item59bb7ac542:g:Xd0AAOSwzA1j4Tqx&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA8CmFLl8h2L5ZaTg1dOx0Ulm8ofsgODP0e/2e4Zx9eddkJL3gDYki8inrxqWerKBTE3h6fBezXUNuAOEtG1LwlK3B5h21JxNPpzLedXLBZndvmAqWWAKYhsRh98pIonrT6sczrcj/ayLg9apdKeMEAoTCNE4DA76xt7HLMWRb6rYdCzWtQjE7nEAvX58pLRQ5QUIBTB+4Ye65tepFGXdIVio3d/sIJcBt7iQp/10zi8kQx+2zCFEIXMSQfeFGTusC3mlpVLKXqP7oo1xSKGidDAHbHnGT3YP/wUqZOmXmDzb39nCqFYo/vwbngqq9BjTWPQ==|tkp:Bk9SR97DgajeYw

Here is a used injector to rob the actuators from.

Messicks part for fuel line 1J800-42500

Last edited: