Fire and Theft Insurance

Gator23

Sep 22, 2014
Sudbury
Hey there,

Awesome new Kubota BX25D purchased and ready ; only to find out from the dealer that Fire and Theft insurance is only available through financing . Home and Auto insurance wont help either. Any Ideas......

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey there,

Awesome new Kubota BX25D purchased and ready ; only to find out from the dealer that Fire and Theft insurance is only available through financing . Home and Auto insurance wont help either. Any Ideas......
why would the fire NOT be covered under your homeowners coverage???? And I would think that theft would be too. :)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
The real question is??? Why do you have that insurance co?? My homeowners covers my tractor al long as it is on my property. Statefarm.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Mine is covered under my home owner's as long as its on my property and not in commercial use. American Family Insurance

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
Insurance rascal of 45 years here. It is common under standard homeowners policy that any PERSONAL tractor under 25 HP is covered for liability for personal use. Is is common for incidental of premises to extend but I never completely trust the insurer to define incidental. Most insurers have a maximum limit for physical damage - often between $25K and $50K. Check with your broker or agent. If there is commercial use you will probably need to arrange specific insurance.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yup, Homeowners is common, however inland marine is recommended if not covered under financing. Never trust Homeowners to actually cover loss of the unit.

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
I have had three clients loose there JDs. One burned. One was stolen. One was driven to close to a bank by the sea and went over. All were fully insured to full replacement cost. All were personal use and clients ended up with brand new tractors. If commercial use then inland marine is the way to go for physical damage. I do not advise my clients to rely on the finance company insurance. Often (but not always) all that covers is the unpaid balance on the finance contract.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It seems there are lots of factors when it comes to insurance. Personally, my insurance company sux but I honestly haven't found one that doesn't.
That aside, I carry insurance on each tractor and on certain implements. For them to be covered they have to be listed on the policy and a premium paid every year. Home owners doesn't cover them in my case.

My advise to anyone, don't assume it's covered. Make your agent show you it's covered and be sure to read the fine print in the back of your policy. Good example, I have a farm policy. In the front it makes you believe the equipment and building, barns, sheds, ect. are covered. In the back while reading the fine and extra fine print if the equipment and or building are being used for farm / agricultral purposes they are not covered unless they are indivually specified and listed on the policy. Basicly, if you want it covered you pay for it. Even then, if anything happens they aren't going to want to pay. So good luck.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mine are only covered if the garage falls on it. Had to estimate for lawnmower, tools, that sort of thing, with a covered up to amount. When the tornados came through, most people found out that there tractors and such weren't covered. Unless the house collapsed on it. Some folks that did have farm policys had to fight tooth and nail to actually get something for there losses. Found out that they didn't have enough to cover barns, sheds, and outbuildings. Let alone the contents. Good thing to do is actually have your insurance agent come out and look at the property and make sure it's all covered

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Wise words. "Good thing to do is actually have your insurance agent come out and look at the property and make sure it's all covered".
Wise indeed.

The next problem is when the adjuster comes out and asked all the trick questions. One wrong statement from you and your coverage is still worth nothing.

I mean really, if you have a shop / garage and work out of it then it's no longer covered. The honest working man doesn't have a chance. :confused: :mad: :eek:

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Our insurance company covers our riding lawnmower under existing policy but I have to have a rider that covers the Kubota and indicated attachments at an additional cost.

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
I have my tractor scheduled on homeowners and then have a Farm Liability endorsement to cover off premise use.

if financed Kubota has insurance, but the premium was almost twice of my homeowners.

Farm liability covers me for driving down the road or off my owned property.

The two cost apprx $310 annual.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Depending on the state you live in and your insurance company look into some form of "farm rider" or "farm equipment rider".

Ours covers virtually everything "equipment" not otherwise covered under homeowner policy---tractors, mowers, hand-power-, shop-, and machine tools, farm trucks, implements. We've got everything scheduled out and the only thing not listed are the barn cats.

Owner must pay attention and continuously interact with Agent as operations expand, contract, or change (buy, sell, rent equipment). Document everything. Keep photo records of everything. Little things like photographing roofs every six months can make a big difference come the next claim.

Be certain you're covered for being driven on road or highway, trailering, transport, and if on neighbor or local land-not-your-own (trading labor, community contribution (cleaning a ditch, spreading gravel at fire station, citizen roadside trash pickup day).

Try bundling all your insurance needs with one company for a better deal.

Insurance like lawyers and real estate agents are generally low-level scams but have become necessary in order to survive the modern world.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Insurance like lawyers and real estate agents are generally low-level scams but have become necessary in order to survive the modern world."

Wow, what an opinionated statement.

Shouldn't you also include equipment sales agents, doctors, utility companies, and shoe salespersons and teachers? Probably need to include tenants (renters) also!

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have a blanket inland marine policy that covers new replacement cost of my equipment that was purchased new. I use a $5000.00 deductible. Some, if not most policies will waive your deductible if your machine has working GPS or if you register the machine or machines with National Equipment Registry. I have GPS on all my rolling stock. Rocky Mountain Tracking has a good GPS program that proved to be inexpensive enough for me to buy 30 of their trackers. I also plan to register most of my equipment with NER. If you don't protect yourself, don't expect law enforcement to do so. They have limited resources. The ones around here couldn't find their mouths with a $30.00 pizza.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
. . . The ones around here couldn't find their mouths with a $30.00 pizza.
rofl! ! !

aaaaaahh but coffee and donuts are another story.:D

I have two different policies.
1) Home Owners
2) Anything else that I own or "am operating" on or off my property up to approx $2,000,000 in a single loss or liability.

I have had these policies since 1984 and they have not been sold for a long time but I have kept them in force so I am grandfathered. They are adjusted for inflation every year. They both cover the full replacement cost of everything minus a $1,000 deductible per occurrence. Don't laugh, $1,000 was allot in 1984 but that has not been adjusted. They really really want me to give them a reason to cancel both policies.