Finish mower for bx2670

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
I'm thinking of picking up a finish mower for cutting back my food plots . 4' or 5'. Area is not lawn worthy and I have used my mmm. I have a 1248 rotary mower I picked up cheap and rebuilt . Rotary mower is a little harsh on foot plots tends to RIP and clump . I can find a few 5footers used but I'm not sure the bx can handle it . It's slightly hilly a little wet in places . What do you guys think ... keep looking for a 4bor will a 5 work ?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I think the finish mower will not hold up well in the long run. Since you already use the rotary cutter for this job perhaps you could sharpen the blades on it. Sharpen them as if they are finish mower blades and give that a try. It will not cost anything except a few minutes to sharpen the blades. If you are mowing the areas often enough that a finish mower would not clump up the grass then a sharpen RC should do the job nicely without the danger of any damage to the machine.

Reactions: 1 user

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Brush hog has brand new blades... blade and speed are not the problem ...
I want to trim my clover plots down but not mow them short . I'm looking to mow the tops and chop the clippings into finer material as not to mat down the plants .
I dont mow my clover until it goes to seed at about 10 inches cutting back to 6 inches .