Final pick time...which one L4760, L5460 or L6060

Sapper50

Equipment
L6060, FEL with 4-1 bucket, Top and Tilt, Single tooth ripper, box blade, etc
Oct 10, 2017
Graham, Washington USA
so.....down to a final decision and would LOVE input from the experts here that have been where I am.....which one is the right one (yup and at the end of the day, I will have to make my own decision.... LOL :D)

Tasks and Soil: Dirt work on virgin dirt (was old growth forest, logged, replanted, harvested and then sold for real estate). Rocks in western Washington, lots of em, majority helmet size and smaller but Im putting in fence too and when using an auger to get fence posts set: Dirt is SOLID (virgin) and round shape rocks were a steady diet - no easy holes and the power auger was dancing all over the place - what a ride wore me OUT.

>>>Going to be working eventually 8 acres into pasture and other recreational uses and after reading here and other sites, process will start with subsoiling first (gonna take a LONG time), then discing, then leveling for drainage and such (FEL and box blade) and a LOT of landscape rake work forever until I die to get the 'harvested' rocks up and out.
So, dirt work, not even purchasing a bush hog.
(A TLB is price prohibitive)
Will be getting a 4 in 1 bucket along with the dirt tools.

Question - in your opinion, what is enough for the dirt work and subsoiling I will be doing?
I do NOT want to come up short in the HP department, but don't want to spend more than I have to or get more tractor than I need.
  • L4760
  • L5460 ($1600 more)
  • L6060 ($2400 more than 4760 or $800 more than the 5460)

Also, knowing how key weight is (will also fill the tires) there is a 500+ pound jump once you move past the 4760 model.

Thoughts?
My 'thought' and after reading everything here is no one EVER complained about too much HP and most have buyers remorse by trying to save a $$ couple of thousand and cut on HP. Do not want to be there and I have 3 neighbors that tried to save $$ and bought too small and they aint happy.
Yes I could do what I need to do with a smaller rig and work it 5-10 times harder, don't want to do that and would like to get the tasks done as quickly as possible, in this class of tractor.

Thank you ahead of time...really enjoy reading all the posts and all the knowledge that resides here!

Scott

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Scott - based one what you are describing....

GO BIG - or go home!!!!;):)

L6060

got your name all over it!:D:)

Sapper50

Equipment
Oct 10, 2017
Graham, Washington USA
Scott - based one what you are describing....

GO BIG - or go home!!!!;):)

L6060

got your name all over it!:D:)

LOL
need to share that with Chief of House for approval !!!! (Actually I cracked the ‘what did you buy this time’ code by her getting a horse... she can’t say SQUAT about dirt bikes, dirt bike parts, guns, ammo etc cause NONE of it can add up to tack+feed+vet bills.)[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
LOL
need to share that with Chief of House for approval !!!! (Actually I cracked the ‘what did you buy this time’ code by her getting a horse... she can’t say SQUAT about dirt bikes, dirt bike parts, guns, ammo etc cause NONE of it can add up to tack+feed+vet bills.)[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Dont let her on your new tractor......she WILL never give the keys back to you!!!! :eek::D:) Might be better than the horse! AND the tractor doesnt eat nearly as much:rolleyes::)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Dont let her on your new tractor......she WILL never give the keys back to you!!!! :eek::D:) Might be better than the horse! AND the tractor doesnt eat nearly as much:rolleyes::)
Or, you let her use the tractor and love it, then you have an excuse to go out and buy a second tractor.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
As stated above, bigger is better, especially if you're clearing land and not working in between trees.
Another aspect to look at, not sure if it applies, each state and province are different. Here in Nova Scotia, once you get over 60hp they automatically consider it farm use and don't charge tax. It was a few months after I bought my L48 I found that out. What I spent on taxes, I could have bought more tractor. Again, not sure what the different rules are for different states.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Here in the States, as far as I know, the size of the tractor is not what determines if it is tax exempt. It simply has to be used in a (potential) income producing venture, and the owner is responsible for claiming and declaring all purchases related to the activity, so if Uncle Sam comes looking you better be "papered up".

At one time we planted 3 acres of Christmas trees. I bought a B8200 to plant and maintain them. It was all tax deductable...machine, fuel, chemicals, etc. When(trees)sold it is also necessary to report income.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
get the 6060. I have a 4060. and dirt work especially if I get a good bite on a 6 foot box blade stops the tractor cold. even in low. now low low, it takes a lot to stop it. I'm open station and filled rears R4 tires HST. on your BB, go big and nasty. TopNTilt is your friend, especially with hydraulic rippers. cab will give you extra weight, more lights, and you won't care how long you are out because of cab heat/air and some tunes, plus no dust/dirt/bugs etc to fight you. I don't regret going with the 4060 much, but there are times I wish I had gone 6060, I definitely regret not getting a cab. 6060 will be happier with disc work for sure over the 47. turbo is mo betta. HP is always what they advertise, torque from a diesel is really nice anyway, but a turbo makes it dramatically better over their NA compatriots, and that cost difference is negligible when talking about that level of machine. my vote, 6060 cab without hesitation. it's what I'm probably going to next.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Here is something for you to consider.
Has anyone ever said: "Gee...I wish I had a smaller tractor"?

Sapper50

Equipment
Oct 10, 2017
Graham, Washington USA
good decision. I didn't see that before I posted earlier. hope to see it and your opinion when you get some seat time.

For sure will do.
It’s on order and will be coming up from California so fingers crossed by Turkey Day!