FEL Stuck Down: Need to Raise Manually to Load On Trailer

defdeskubota

May 21, 2017
Vermont
I was having issues with downward tilt of the bucket, I tried all of the obvious to fix, disconnected all fittings, checked lockout, lowered 3 point hitch (Kubota tech's suggestion). Nothing worked, I took the cover panel off to make sure there was nothing interfering with mechanical linkage, lubed it all up, tried to force it into downward tilt and now nothing works. There is now no positive slide in any direction whereas before there was just none in the downward tilt direction. Before the major failure, The tech I spoke with said it was probably the detent mech and suggested I bring it in. With the bucket on the ground now, how should I manually raise it enough to get it on my trailer? Disconnect hoses and use a come along (chain version) from the ROPS to the FEL arm? Please advise!!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
does the linkage move at all? If it does, put the loader in "float" position (if you can get it there), then back it onto the trailer. The bucket will drag but it will "float" with the contour that it's got to go over allowing you to back it onto the trailer.

What tractor? What loader model number? Does the lever move at all? Or does the lever move and just nothing happen? 3 point hitch and power steering work?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Put a jack under it and raise it up, then used wood blocks to hold it up.

defdeskubota

May 21, 2017
Vermont
Sorry....2011 L3940, the lever will now not go into any position, so no float. It would creep up if I found a sweet spot on the lever when I last parked it and would drop when put in the float mode, but after unloading 2 sheets of 1/4" steel plate from a delivery truck, the lever is now all seized up.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It could be internal crud making the valve stick or the linkage came loose inside the valve boot if it’s a two way valve.

Id start by sliding the boot off on the valve lever and see if you have something loose or mechanically binding its movement.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Any chance you've got water in the oil ? If below zero and outside, heat the valve body up, good and warm to the touch.
As for manually raising, disconnect the cylinders(unpin) as the quick connect ends block the oil flow.

defdeskubota

May 21, 2017
Vermont
Any chance you've got water in the oil ? If below zero and outside, heat the valve body up, good and warm to the touch.
As for manually raising, disconnect the cylinders(unpin) as the quick connect ends block the oil flow.
It hasn't been cold enough for that.
When the bucket is disconnected and jacked up, what's a safe place to hook it to considering I'll have to drive it on/off here and at my dealer?

It could be internal crud making the valve stick or the linkage came loose inside the valve boot if it***8217;s a two way valve.

Id start by sliding the boot off on the valve lever and see if you have something loose or mechanically binding its movement.
Did all of that, see original post.

Joel K

Equipment
L2501
Nov 22, 2018
Bay City MI
I had a very similar problem with a B2650. Ended up being a small piece of metal that broke from the quick coupler and flowed through the hydraulic line to the valve and lodged there. It took the mechanic a while to find it.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
When the bucket is disconnected and jacked up, what's a safe place to hook it to considering I'll have to drive it on/off here and at my dealer?
If you are talking about holding the loader arms up so you can drive it, if it were mine, I would put ratchet straps from the grill guard to the loader arms torque tube to hold it up. I would drive slowly to make sure loader arms don't bounce and cause ratchet strap hooks to come off grill guard. I would make sure the ratchet straps don't crush the hydraulic lines that run along the backside of the torque tube. Just suggesting how I would do it.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Drag it backwards to a culvert or ditch.......as you back up the other side, the front will be down....stop and shore up the FEL and then drive forward and onto your trailer.
Or...floor jack and crib to a level that you can brace the FEL, then load it on the trailer.

(the culvert/ditch method I used when competing in Team Trophy Challenge several years ago....the task was to take the right front tire and left rear tire and swap, without a jack or any sort of lifting device.......so, you park with left front and right rear on opposite sides of a ditch/culvert and "teter-totter" changing the tires)

Last edited:

defdeskubota

May 21, 2017
Vermont
I was able to disconnect the hydraulics and bleed the pressure off of them, when I reconnected I was able to inch the bucket up, I propped it up on the trailer headboard to keep it there till I offloaded at the dealer. All will be well again this week. Thanks for the suggestions all.