FEL Float mode question

mvwood

Equipment
B21(sold) B26
Apr 7, 2011
Wallkill NY
Just finished cleaning up from the last snow storm and I noticed that when I engage the FEL into float mode(push forward until I locks) that the loader will slowly lift the from end off the ground not really “floating” over the surface, but if I stop the tractor it will return the front end back to the ground. Is this normal for the float position? Or is there something I should check pressure wise?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just guessing it's normal.

Remember the way your FEL floats is by sending a lot of hydraulic fluid back and forth between your FEL cylinders, hoses, valve, and the tractor itself.

It doesn't happen instantaneously, takes a little time for that fluid to move around through some pretty small hoses/fittings/valve, etc.

Maybe you need to slow down a little when working an uphill or downhill grade while floating your loader.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Just finished cleaning up from the last snow storm and I noticed that when I engage the FEL into float mode(push forward until I locks) that the loader will slowly lift the from end off the ground not really “floating” over the surface, but if I stop the tractor it will return the front end back to the ground. Is this normal for the float position? Or is there something I should check pressure wise?
Sounds like it’s popping out of float and into down pressure. I don’t know the specifics on your machine but some have limits and you can set the detent. You should not be seeing what you have described.

Mine will pop out of float mode on occasion but it goes into the neutral position not down pressure.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
The tractor, when driving forward, has an opposite torque reaction in that it applies a force that tends to lighten and in extreme cases, lift the front wheels. When floating your FEL, you have taken the weight off the front wheels which would aggravate the situation. Because the FEL is floating, it now applies a force back on the FEL mounting posts which are usually fairly much higher than your rear axle and tends to lighten the front wheels even more, and in your case, actually lift the wheels.
This situation is not at all uncommon.

mvwood

Equipment
B21(sold) B26
Apr 7, 2011
Wallkill NY
Ok I am sure it is not popping out of float because I always have to pull it out of the detent when I get to where I want to dump the snow. So unless I can confirm that there is an adjustment somewhere Ill chalk it up to normal situation.