Farmall H restoration

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Well, today it begins! I'm going to restore this Farmall H that I bought at the ripe old age of 15 (ok, one month shy of 16) back in 1973. Bounced around between my Dad and brother but it's finally back home after 50 years. I want to restore it back to original factory specs if possible. Serial number look up indicates its a 1940/1941 model year.

So I plan to put a lot of time and money into a tractor that will probably never see dirt again, save for what is on a street during a parade. Makes perfect sense to me!

I'll post pictures of the progress as I go. I know some members here enjoy this type of thing.

IMG_1775.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Good to see the preservtion of history. I have seen some hours of operating one of those and several other tractors in my youth. (about the same as yours) I hope the restoration goes smoothly.

Reactions: 1 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Nice! I have a 1951 Farmall C that was my grandfathers. It is in its work clothes and that is how it shall stay...just like grandpa left it.

I'd like to get an H or Super H from the last model year of manufacture to restore and make pretty.

Taking the C to the Flywheelers Museum show that starts the Thursday after Labor Day.

Reactions: 1 user

Aynho

Equipment
L2501, LA525, BH77
Mar 21, 2023
Arkansas
Those are great old tractors. We had one in Army Air Corps "follow me " yellow on the farm. Good luck on the restoration.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
We have one we restored some years ago. My brother was trying to get it started and lit the block on fire and we had ot extinguish it...so now we have some more cleanup to do...

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Looks to be well worth a rebuild. Nice straight tin, rims look good, etc. looking forward to it.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
IMG_9475.jpeg
IMG_1084.jpeg
IMG_9476.jpeg
IMG_9479.jpeg

Inherited this H from my Dad. It was his father’s first, and only, tractor. Grandpa preferred Pershings from what I’ve been told. Grandma sold it to a neighbor after Grandpa died and Dad bought it back about 40 years later. He got it running and working, then garaged it except for the rare job with the trip bucket loader. I helped him source a few parts and lift a few heavy things but he was 100% of the brains and 99% of the labor. Dad passed last year.

Still has a battery tender on it. Cranked it mostly just to crank it and move it around a bit about six months ago. Don’t really know what to do with it other than look at it, but we’re not getting rid of it.

Yours looks like a great candidate for restoration based on pics of how straight the sheet metal is and how complete it is. What is that boom looking thing on the right side?

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well, today it begins! I'm going to restore this Farmall H that I bought at the ripe old age of 15 (ok, one month shy of 16) back in 1973. Bounced around between my Dad and brother but it's finally back home after 50 years. I want to restore it back to original factory specs if possible. Serial number look up indicates its a 1940/1941 model year.

So I plan to put a lot of time and money into a tractor that will probably never see dirt again, save for what is on a street during a parade. Makes perfect sense to me!

I'll post pictures of the progress as I go. I know some members here enjoy this type of thing.

View attachment 110740
What’s that cable-thing on the right side?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
What’s that cable-thing on the right side?
It is one of two hydraulic (single acting) cylinders for a tip bucket similar to the one in NCL4701 post. But not nearly the quality of that one. I replaced the bucket with a blade for plowing snow back in the day. Wish I had a picture of it! I removed the governor while it was still on the trailer and that is why the other cylinder is missing.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
View attachment 110774 View attachment 110775 View attachment 110776 View attachment 110777
Inherited this H from my Dad. It was his father’s first, and only, tractor. Grandpa preferred Pershings from what I’ve been told. Grandma sold it to a neighbor after Grandpa died and Dad bought it back about 40 years later. He got it running and working, then garaged it except for the rare job with the trip bucket loader. I helped him source a few parts and lift a few heavy things but he was 100% of the brains and 99% of the labor. Dad passed last year.

Still has a battery tender on it. Cranked it mostly just to crank it and move it around a bit about six months ago. Don’t really know what to do with it other than look at it, but we’re not getting rid of it.

Yours looks like a great candidate for restoration based on pics of how straight the sheet metal is and how complete it is. What is that boom looking thing on the right side?
Great write up and great pictures! That bucket is a quality attachment! Do you know what year your H is?

See above for the answer to your question

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Well, I might as well jump in neck deep. I am starting with the engine as I figure its a good place to start this going. I'm finding this tractor easy to work on compared to the cars and trucks and forklifts that I have been repairing. Not much crawling underneath so to speak. Only one broken bolt so far.

Interesting tidbit on my tractor. Farmall built three different engines for gasoline only, gasoline and distillate and kerosene only. The last two required the engine being started on gas and then switched over to the main fuel. My tractor was originally a kerosene only engine. The difference was the heads and their combustion chambers to change the compression ratio for the fuel. Gas was 5.5 to 1, distillate was 4.75 to 1 and kerosene was 4.5 to 1.

When I bought the tractor the guy said the engine had recently been gone through. Apparently it was converted to a gas engine and the compression was increased by the domed pistons (see picture). The intake manifold was replaced by the one for gas and shutters in front of the radiator were removed. I suspected this was the case because the hood had the extra hole for the small gasoline tank in front of the main fuel tank.

Does anyone know what this is all about in front of the fan blade?

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Great write up and great pictures! That bucket is a quality attachment! Do you know what year your H is?

See above for the answer to your question
I’m pretty sure it’s early 50’s (maybe late 40’s??) and I’ve probably been told the exact year but the expert died and I don’t recall for a fact. That and, much as I loved him, he told me so much BS for reasons known only to him, I sort of take whatever he said with a grain of salt.

I do remember it was originally kerosene not gas (still has the little gas tank you were supposed to start it with until it warmed up so you could switch to the big tank that held kerosene). It was converted to gasoline while Grandpa still owned it. Allegedly it was one of the early “styled” models that included sheet metal and was ordered with the optional rubber tires instead of the standard steel wheels. Still 6V and still running a magneto. I know that for a fact partly because the original magneto was wore slap out and I was involved in sourcing a reman unit along with a belt pulley that was lost (it interferes with the loader so it’s not on it but there’s one in the shed), the clean out door at the bottom of the grille (which is almost universally lost), nameplate for the front, and the obviously A/M 3 point. All that was while I was in college 35 years ago. If any of that narrows down the model year, I’d be interested to know.

The loader was originally a manure fork. By the time Dad got it back we didn’t have enough manure to need a fork, so he and his stick welder fabricated it into a dirt bucket.

I have considered removing the loader to make it better balanced and easier to drive. Of course no power steering and it’s way front heavy so it’s a bear to steer.

If I leave the loader on it, I’m thinking about replacing the water valves Dad used to isolate the loader from the 3 point with actual hydraulic spool valves so both ends can be used without getting off and cranking a couple of water spigot type valves open/shut. I have zero knowledge on the manufacturer of the loader. I don’t think it’s IH but really don’t know.

I was up for selling it when Dad passed but my brother wasn’t and at this point I agree with him. After I retire at the end of the year, it’s down a ways on the project list but I’d like to get it to where it’s a little more usable. Without the loader, it would pull a bush hog, disc, or a couple of plows just fine. It would probably struggle with bigger stuff with the chipper but sometimes it would be nice to have it pulling the chipper leaving the L free for grapple work. I’d at least like to give it a whirl to see how it performs.

Now that we have the L, the loader isn’t near as useful as it once was. It will pick up about the same as the L but not near as stable and having essentially one front wheel if the ground isn’t rock hard it has a bad tendency for the front end to bury itself, which really limits its utility.

So yeah, mine might look a little prettier than yours but it needs some work, too.

Edit: My brother says it’s a 1939. He’s probably right. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Not making any guarantees but I suspect if you look at the belt routing you won’t find an adjustable idler to tension the belt like is present on every other water cooled engine ever manufactured anywhere for anything. Many (maybe all?) the H’s and M’s had a weird belt tensioning system that consists of a two piece pulley for the fan/water pump. I was thinking the two halves screw together and are pinned with a set screw but looking at that spring loaded contraption you’ve got I’d suspect it sets the belt tension at a relatively constant pressure based on the K value of the springs by putting a constant pressure on the front (variable) half of the split pulley.

That’s my semi-educated swag of a guess.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
After disassembly I discovered what this is all about. This is what drives the water pump. Kind of like a lathe dog on a shaft turning between centers.

IMG_1792.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI

View attachment 110740
Good luck with the restore and I can't wait to see the end result. My dad's 1st tractor he started out farming with was a 1942 h he bought for 500.00 in 1985.
Screenshot_20190601-210112_Messages.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Getting closer to start ordering parts. Anyone have advice on where to order from? Steiner and yesterdaystractor seem to be the two major players.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Getting closer to start ordering parts. Anyone have advice on where to order from? Steiner and yesterdaystractor seem to be the two major players.
I got a few things from Steiner's. They're a bit higher but have the customer support. I ordered some middle east gauges off ebay and they didn't work of the bat and spent a month fighting with the seller until ebay stepped in and I got a refund. My local Napa had antique tractor stuff in stock, but ironically the gauges were made in the place I got the ebay ones. I've had good luck with ma and pop companies with my jd stuff. Whenever I need parts I was going to try yesterday tractors.

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Machined and fabricated a sleeve puller.

IMG_1835.JPG

Pulled the sleeves without any drama. Interesting note: #4 came out easy, #3 slid out when I turned the block upside down, and two and one were progressively harder.

IMG_1836 (1).JPG

Measured the bores with both my micrometer and bore gauge and nothing was out of spec on #3. Checked the sleeve and nothing out of spec compared to the others so I am scratching my head a little bit on this. Tomorrow I plan on pressure washing the block and double checking the bores.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, I might as well jump in neck deep. I am starting with the engine as I figure its a good place to start this going. I'm finding this tractor easy to work on compared to the cars and trucks and forklifts that I have been repairing. Not much crawling underneath so to speak. Only one broken bolt so far.

Interesting tidbit on my tractor. Farmall built three different engines for gasoline only, gasoline and distillate and kerosene only. The last two required the engine being started on gas and then switched over to the main fuel. My tractor was originally a kerosene only engine. The difference was the heads and their combustion chambers to change the compression ratio for the fuel. Gas was 5.5 to 1, distillate was 4.75 to 1 and kerosene was 4.5 to 1.

When I bought the tractor the guy said the engine had recently been gone through. Apparently it was converted to a gas engine and the compression was increased by the domed pistons (see picture). The intake manifold was replaced by the one for gas and shutters in front of the radiator were removed. I suspected this was the case because the hood had the extra hole for the small gasoline tank in front of the main fuel tank.

Hey Bob, that shop looks familiar.....;)
Reminds me of how much I envy it....