Factory service manuals questions - L3400HST and BH76

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Good evening, folks.

I'm trying to find a service manual for my L3400HST tractor and my BH76 backhoe. I supposedly have the LA463 FEL manual on the way to me off of an eBay purchase...

The L3400 manuals are easy to find for ~$100, but I'm hoping someone can shed light on WHICH one I'm after. I see one that is labeled to be for the L3400, and then a supplemental manual that is labeled to be for the L3400 HST specifically. Each of those manuals is $100. Would I need both of them? Or would the L3400HST supplemental cover everything I need?

Alternatively, I cannot find a service manual for the BH76 anywhere, including Messicks.

Any advice is welcomed.

I might be interested in the parts manuals for the same pieces of equipment, but I'd like to see what's in the service manuals first. Does anyone buy the parts manuals?

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Just got off the phone with Messicks.

They cannot open any manuals to see what is contained in them. They were unsure what was included in the "HST supplemental manual" shown here:

http://www.messicks.com/part/97897-13310/l2800hst-l3400hst-supplement-shop-manual-does

They suggested to just get this L3400 manual:

http://www.messicks.com/part/9y011-13194/l2800-l3400-l3700su-shop-manual

They did not have any information regarding the BH76 manual. The person on the phone was under the impression that it didn't exist.

Trying to call Kubota now.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Pretty sure there are not manuals in the Kubota Books files for stuff this new, but check it out anyway for Shiatz and :D 's.

Kubotabooks.com

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Pretty sure there are not manuals in the Kubota Books files for stuff this new, but check it out anyway for Shiatz and :D 's.

Kubotabooks.com
Thanks, but nothing there unfortunately.

Called Kubota, they confirmed that I'd need to buy BOTH the regular manual and the supplemental manual for the tractor.

And they also said that there was never a BH76 workshop manual made. Just the operator's manual. So I guess that settles it then. $200 for tractor manuals... :(

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Okay, I just spent a few hours researching because I was not convinced that the Kubota rep or the Messicks rep were correct with their conclusion that a BH76 workshop manual never existed. I asked both of them whether a BH75 or BH77 manual existed and would apply and couldn't get a straight answer.

I spent a while looking at Kubota's illustrated parts list for the BH75, the BH75a, the BH76, and the BH77. My particular serial number of BH76 shares almost every single part number with the BH75.

The only parts I could find other than labels or ergonomic parts that were different were the dipperstick cylinder, the bucket cylinder, and the bucket teeth. The control valve is the same part number, the linkages were all the same. Every o-ring, seal, and gasket that I happened to look at (I didn't look at all) were the same. There was only one additional o-ring in the BH76 that wasn't in the BH75 if the illustrations are in fact accurate...

It makes sense that since the BH76 seems to be functionally identical to the BH75, Kubota saw no reason to produce a manual for the BH76 and they probably informed dealers to use their BH75 manuals for the BH76 if needed. I guess they just never changed a part number or cover sheet or something like that. Anyone have a recollection of this?

I bought a BH75 workshop service manual off of eBay just now for $25 shipped.

And I purchased the L3400 manual from Lashley for $91, and the supplemental L3400HST manual from them for $22, which was about $70 cheaper than anywhere else I found.

Edited to add: looks like it might have been too good to be true... Lashley is sending me a refund confirmation for what looks like that $22 manual.

Edited to add #2: Lashley is saying that the supplemental manual for the HST was discontinued, and that the new manual (#97897-13190) is all inclusive. So... yay! I guess. I'll confirm when I get all these manuals in and I can actually look through them.

Last edited: