Factory Kubota 3rd function valve

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Why is it so hard to find any information on a factory installed 3rd function valve from kubota? All I seem to be finding is WR longs setup through everything attachments which is probably the way Ill go, but I would really like to have something original. Does anyone know a part # that I can look up? I just ordered a parts and wsm which Im sure wont have anything in them on this. By the way looking for a kit for the MX5100

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Did you check with Messick's, I have an OEM third function on my L5740HSTC and like, I imagine it costs more, but fit my machine much better.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Why is it so hard to find any information on a factory installed 3rd function valve from kubota? All I seem to be finding is WR longs setup through everything attachments which is probably the way Ill go, but I would really like to have something original. Does anyone know a part # that I can look up? I just ordered a parts and wsm which Im sure wont have anything in them on this. By the way looking for a kit for the MX5100
I don't know if you are just looking for an OEM system, or an OEM 3rd function specifically for your MX5100. I don't think that an OEM 3rd function exists for your MX5100. Might be why you are having a problem finding one. :confused:

Nothing wrong with the after market systems, some people have said that the Kubota systems were having problems, although I would think that Kubota would have gotten that problem resolved.

If you end up going after market, shop around. The prices can vary several hundred $$$. :eek:

TexasDave

Equipment
MX4700, ZD326, LTX 1140, BX2370
Jun 15, 2014
McDade tx USA
Timely question! I just installed a third-function control on my MX4700. Finalized the wiring yesterday.

Bought the Northman valve from Northern for $110, base for $40, hoses and fittings from Surplus Center for $155 ( with extra fittings). Bought a marine rocker switch for $15, molded a handle with Sculpy polymer clay for $6.
Total system for around $330! Had the steel, paint, wire on hand. Easy project.

There is a three- part series on youtube showing the valve hose routing. Basically you just take pressure from the return line ( third function) coming out of the loader valve, route it to the inlet of the new valve, then return the fluid with the outlet line (I used the same hose).

Here's the handle:

Valve:

It's a tandem center valve. A true open center valve allows the grapple to relax when the switch is off. The tandem center valve Locks the fluid and keeps the cylinders from moving, holding the load. Works perfectly: all functions work simultaneously.

If you take the right dash housing loose, you can tap 12 volts from the back of the ignition switch ( red with white stripe). Easy.

Here's my new Anbo grapple. AWESOME!!!

Good luck!

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I too remember reading (on TBN) a while ago about some issues with the factory option.
This was an issue at one time and Rockgod on TBN trded his Kubota in on a John Deere when Kubota couldn't resolve it. I have not had any problems with the Kubota OEM on my L5740HSTC to this point and like it. I am sure aftermarket will be cheaper though.

TexasDave

Equipment
Jun 15, 2014
McDade tx USA
Update - my polymer clay handle wasn't terribly strong, so I picked up a roll of fiberfix at Lowes plumbing department. It's like cast material and fixed it right up.

Also saw another MX4700 yesterday with the W R Long third function mod installed. Looks very much like mine, uses 3/8 hoses to get to the front. I used 1/2 inch. For a 10 GPM system 3/8 is probably fine....

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Also saw another MX4700 yesterday with the W R Long third function mod installed. Looks very much like mine, uses 3/8 hoses to get to the front. I used 1/2 inch. For a 10 GPM system 3/8 is probably fine....

For a grapple, only 1/4" is really needed since the tiny cylinder(s) need very little flow, it's also a lot cheaper and easier to route.

Your install looks great!

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Texas Dave, ......pretty impressive!! Did you fabricate the bracket that the valve is on? That's definitely cheaper going that route but I wouldnt even know the first fitting or part to get let alone where to find them. So Im the guy that has to pay full price for the set altogether!. What did that anbo grapple run you?

TexasDave

Equipment
Jun 15, 2014
McDade tx USA
I did! It's just an L- shaped bracket about 4x4 on each face. 3/16 plate. Valve and base from Northern, hoses and fittings from Surplus Center. Switch from Amazon. Been using the crap out of it. We have several large patches of bamboo spreading like crazy. This thing gets em, roots and all. Too much fun!

Grapple was just shy of 3K with shipping. I'm impressed- this thing is bullet- proof. So glad I went with Anbo instead of a cheaper one. No worries about breaking/ bending it. First-class quality. Now I want a 100-HP track skidsteer with a bigger grapple!! LOL!!

bswenson

Equipment
bx25d
May 31, 2018
Texas
What were the part numbers from Northern? Also the picture seems to have been deleted from the site can you repost?

Im looking to add an additional function off the backhoe to make my mechanical thumb hydraulic. I am also adding the 3rd fuinction valve.

Timely question! I just installed a third-function control on my MX4700. Finalized the wiring yesterday.

Bought the Northman valve from Northern for $110, base for $40, hoses and fittings from Surplus Center for $155 ( with extra fittings). Bought a marine rocker switch for $15, molded a handle with Sculpy polymer clay for $6.
Total system for around $330! Had the steel, paint, wire on hand. Easy project.

There is a three- part series on youtube showing the valve hose routing. Basically you just take pressure from the return line ( third function) coming out of the loader valve, route it to the inlet of the new valve, then return the fluid with the outlet line (I used the same hose).

Here's the handle:

It's a tandem center valve. A true open center valve allows the grapple to relax when the switch is off. The tandem center valve Locks the fluid and keeps the cylinders from moving, holding the load. Works perfectly: all functions work simultaneously.

If you take the right dash housing loose, you can tap 12 volts from the back of the ignition switch ( red with white stripe). Easy.

Here's my new Anbo grapple. AWESOME!!!

Good luck!

Dave

TexasDave

Equipment
Jun 15, 2014
McDade tx USA
What were the part numbers from Northern? Also the picture seems to have been deleted from the site can you repost?

Im looking to add an additional function off the backhoe to make my mechanical thumb hydraulic. I am also adding the 3rd fuinction valve.

Can’t find the pics, but it truly is simple. Get the lowest flow tandem center valve and a base with the size fittings you will use. Dual solenoid. Three pole rocker switch to control the 12v solenoids. Have fun!