factory 3rd function valve pressure relief question

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Hi,

I have a 2006 l5030 HSTC with factory 3rd function solenoid actuated valve. I am installing a hydraulic tree saw which requires a max PSI of 2000, so I need to set my 3rd function relief at 2100 psi.

According to my manual the 3rd function valve has its own relief, so I should be able to adjust the pressure but I cant find the relief anywhere on the 3rd function valve block. Anyone know where to look or have photos??

Thanks

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
5 years and no replies? Who is the hydraulics expert on this forum?

I am working on a new concrete mixer project and really need to reduce pressure just below 2000 psi at the 3rd function so I can run the motor forward and reverse. An additional relief valve will only allow relief in one direction (either forward or back - I think..)

I see that the plastic body by the solenoid valve has knobs top and bottom. Maybe this is a pressure adjustment? I cant find the mfg name or model of this item to look up more info.

HELP Please

Attachments

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
5 years and no replies? Who is the hydraulics expert on this forum?

I am working on a new concrete mixer project and really need to reduce pressure just below 2000 psi at the 3rd function so I can run the motor forward and reverse. An additional relief valve will only allow relief in one direction (either forward or back - I think..)

I see that the plastic body by the solenoid valve has knobs top and bottom. Maybe this is a pressure adjustment? I cant find the mfg name or model of this item to look up more info.

HELP Please
Those knobs hold the solenoids in place, nothing to do with pressure relief. "If" your 3rd function valve has a relief, it will be located in the plate under the valve. If not, and I'm thinking that it does not, you can make a separate relief valve that has 2 relief's so that it will cut the pressure in either direction. You should be able to make the valve for around $100.
These guys can get you set up with that valve.

Good luck.

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
In the meantime I spoke with two different third function suppliers and a manufacturer and they all recommended not to operate hydraulic motors with the third function. The issue is with overheating as these are only designed to operate cylinders intermittently.
I am going to use the rear remote and run 1/2" hoses up to the front and I will install a relief valve. I have not had issues running my hydraulic saw with the third function but I only use it for 10-20 limbs every 5 years or so. I may change it to run off the rear or I may just leave well enough alone and make sure I rest it between cuts. The mixer will run longer than the 20 seconds it takes to cut a limb so I need to do it right and use the rear outputs.