Fabricating a heat shield

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Seeing tomorrow is going to be a very nasty day here with high winds and heavy rain I don't think there will be to much going on in the shop so I decided to fabricate a heat shield for one of the AC lines on the new tractor.

As some of you will remember I custom built a vertical exhaust for this new machine and in the process I noticed this AC hose was close to the exhaust. It has nothing to do with the mods I did but I'm just uncomfortable seeing it that close to the original part of the exhaust so I've decided to fabricate a heat shield to protect it.
In keeping with my goal to bore you all to death with my posts I decided to show you how I am going to do it. I'll show you the completed project tomorrow.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok I ll bite whats them little things under the green sticky stuff???

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
My guess is he's using the taped on tubing bits as temporary spacers to assure clearance between his new shield and the line he wants to protect.
That's my guess too...

I was more interested in the way wildfire has used his band saw to cut the pipe that way. Good Idea. Maybe wildfire know's so many trick's, because he lives on that rock in the Atlantic and had to figure out to get things done, without the perfect solution of tool you could get at the mainland.
It's something like a saying of german prisoner of war at WWII: Don't let him alone with a tin-can, he will build a tank... :p

I like your art of work, wildfire!

carl

Wildfire

Equipment
That's my guess too...

I was more interested in the way wildfire has used his band saw to cut the pipe that way. Good Idea. Maybe wildfire know's so many trick's, because he lives on that rock in the Atlantic and had to figure out to get things done, without the perfect solution of tool you could get at the mainland.
It's something like a saying of german prisoner of war at WWII: Don't let him alone with a tin-can, he will build a tank... :p

I like your art of work, wildfire!

carl
Hey Carl you might be right my friend :D I'm happy that you enjoy seeing how I do this stuff. I posted in hoping someone would learn something from it. I hope you guys don't find it to boring :eek:

Anyway I took the day off. Last night the wind was peaking at 110 KM's and we had 50 mm of rain. today I made the brackets for the heat shield. I also painted the thing.

Anyway here are the photo's of the job. I'm not sure if I even needed to add this heat shield but It was a nice little project and it gave me something to post on. I don't think it will hurt be having it there.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Wildfire, I doubt that anybody will find it boring- like my dad always said, you can't beat a man at his own trade. There is beauty in watching how someone who is gifted can work through a situation.
We humans aren't real good at learning lessons from other peoples mistakes, but at least we can learn from other peoples ideas...

Wildfire

Equipment
Wildfire, I doubt that anybody will find it boring- like my dad always said, you can't beat a man at his own trade. There is beauty in watching how someone who is gifted can work through a situation.
We humans aren't real good at learning lessons from other peoples mistakes, but at least we can learn from other peoples ideas...
Thanks hodge. I realize this wasn't a ground shattering project by any means but I posted it just in case some haven't seen it done like this before and hoping some day maybe the idea might help someone else out. As I mentioned above, this heat shield may not have even been required but I don't like taking chances with this sort of stuff.
I'm
Glad you didn't find it boring. When posting I always try to add the "important pictures" to a project and I quess that cuts down on the boredom somewhat lol

Oh for those out there following this thread. The photo with the rubber tubing that was taped to the inside of the heat shield was removed before painting and installation. There's no point in making a heat shield if it's going to be solid against the item your out to protect. It needs an air gap so that's why I used those spacers to determine the proper air gap while making the attaching brackets. Nutt'en to it. :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahhhhhhh sssssooooooooooooooo,, now who the hell would have ever thought of that.. not me,,I would have said yeah thets close enough and gobbed the snot out of it,,lol,,, Like the man told me one time as i was looking at a wonderfully engraved shot gun,,, Son he said God lives in the details,, Yup always interesting and I learn little things too,, I dont retain them to long but I learn them:D

Wildfire

Equipment
Ahhhhhhh sssssooooooooooooooo,, now who the hell would have ever thought of that.. not me,,I would have said yeah thets close enough and gobbed the snot out of it,,lol,,, Like the man told me one time as i was looking at a wonderfully engraved shot gun,,, Son he said God lives in the details,, Yup always interesting and I learn little things too,, I dont retain them to long but I learn them:D
I'm bet'en you'll retain this. One of those days in the future you'll apply something that you've seen here to something you have to solve an issue your having. Well that's what I'm hoping for :confused: If it don't help anyone out in the future that means all the time I took to take photos and upload them, do the writeup and shrink the photos was a waste of time. :(.

On the up side. We got snow coming today. :D