F3680 bogging down

THurston63

Lifetime Member

Equipment
F 3680, MX 5000
Jan 30, 2017
Louisville, KY
My F3680 bogs down (if you drove the mower into thick, tall grass too fast) and I can not figure out why. I had a problem with the left rear bevel gear box - a couple of the bearings had disintegrated - so I thought it was a matter of the gears binding and "dragging" the mower down. I have replaced all of the bevel gear case parts and all of the tires/wheels spin freely with no oil leaks. When I took it out of the shop to drive it around after repairing the bevel gear box it still bogged down. I am hoping someone can give me areas to look at before I give up and take it to the dealer which will cost me big buxx to fix. Any advice would be appreciated.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sorry if it's a stupid question - is this a diesel?

How many hours, maintenance history, does it smoke when it bogs down/color of smoke, did it happen suddenly or over time, etc.?

You're thinking something drive-related, and not engine? Also, sounds like it's not a mower deck problem if it bogged down during your test drive.

Guess it would take more explanation/background to make a guess for a cause.

My first thought is fuel and/or air problem, but I'm just guessing.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If i drive my 23 hp riding mower into long grass and dont slow my roll it will bog and stall too. That is if i push it too hard. Hydrostatic takes a lot of power.

Inspect your blades to make sure they are sharp and installed correctly. Things happen.
Also check belt routing,one blade running the wrong way can happen in rare occasions.

Again, gas or diesel would help, only other suggestion i can offer is clean or replace air filter

THurston63

Lifetime Member

Equipment
F 3680, MX 5000
Jan 30, 2017
Louisville, KY
It is a diesel - 36 HP front mount mower. Just finished the work on the rear axle and took it out for a test drive without the mower. The rear axle seems fine - everything spins as it should which makes me think that it may not be in the drive system and that I have an additional problem to fix before mowing season starts. I am now wondering if it is something in the fuel system. I am going to get a new fuel filter and see if that helps, but I am thinking it could be the fuel pump. The fuel filter is an easy change, but I am going to have to do some research to find out if there is a way to troubleshoot the fuel pump instead of just replacing it and hoping it is the problem. If anyone knows how I can troubleshoot it, assistance would be greatly appreciated.

THurston63

Lifetime Member

Equipment
F 3680, MX 5000
Jan 30, 2017
Louisville, KY
How many hours, maintenance history, does it smoke when it bogs down/color of smoke, did it happen suddenly or over time, etc.?

The mower has about 1200 hours on it, I just bought it last year (thought I was getting a deal!) I have not noticed any excessive smoke when it bogs down - but some, black. It started at the end of mowing season last year - I thought it was drive related because the bevel gear box on the back axle was pretty bad, but now that is fixed I am thinking it is something fuel related. It starts normal and drives out normal, but within five minutes it will bog down and recovery seems to be getting worse.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If you get no joy with a fuel filter, AND you have good flow from the filter, try running with your fuel cap very loose, tape it in position so it cant fall off, this will prove the cap breather isn't blocked if it has one. Sometimes fuel tanks don't breath and restrict the fuel supply under partial vacuum after time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If anyone knows how I can troubleshoot it, assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not familiar with your machine, I'm just making general suggestions.

If it takes a while to stumble, then bad vent on the fuel cap is a possibility and a good thing to rule out.

I would probably check/change the air filter too.

As far as the lift pump, etc., first change both filters if so equipped. Many tractors have two filters and a lift pump between the fuel tank and the injection pump. Sometimes the lift pump goes bad, and they won't run via gravity.

Start with the filter closest to the tank, and make sure there is a good flow of fuel from the tank outlet forward to the lift pump and finally to the injection pump.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is a good resource, along with a Workshop Manual (WSM) for your machine.

http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx

Agree to the terms, and put your model in. You can get a schematic of the fuel system. Like L4740 said, the F3680 clearly has 2 filters, with the lift pump between them, which is typical.

Here's some stuff on WSM:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20495

If the previous owner pointed out the "easy" filter, I'm wondering if the other one was ignored.......certainly could cause your problem.

Good Luck! Let us know how you make out!

Last edited:

THurston63

Lifetime Member

Equipment
F 3680, MX 5000
Jan 30, 2017
Louisville, KY
Thanks very much to everyone for the pointers. I now have some place to start when I get off work next week. I will post my results when I am finished.

THurston63

Lifetime Member

Equipment
F 3680, MX 5000
Jan 30, 2017
Louisville, KY
Thanks so much to all who provided help and insight to getting my mower back on the grass. I have just replaced both fuel filters and bogging down is no longer an issue. I think that the previous owner just never replaced the filter closest to the tank. That filter is not easy to see/get to and if you don't pull up the parts diagrams you may never know it was there. The fact that the filter I replaced was solid dark black in color was another selling point to me that it needed to be replaced! Thanks again to everyone for helping the cheap "rookie" out.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Glad you got it solved. Generally a mower with that kind of horsepower should cut almost anything you throw at it within reason.
Many thanks for posting your solution too.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Many thanks for posting your solution too.
Like Tooljunkie said, we are so glad it's fixed, and also appreciate you letting us know the fix!

So often we don't hear back, then don't know what worked, or more importantly, what didn't work!

Best wishes!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may need to put algicide in your fuel. The black filter may be an indication of algae in the fuel tank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk