F##kin FORDS!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Thanks ford you suck. First time and last time owning an F150. Ive had good luck with superduties for work and plowing, they hold up well. But this F150 POS is pissing me off.

I bought it used with 110k on the clock. shortly after coolant leaks and exhaust leaks. have to roll the window down in the morning so i dont die of carbon monoxide.

ANYWAY im 8 hours into putting in exhaust manifold gaskets. 8 hours to get the turbos out still have to take out the warped manifolds....grrrrrrr

Both manifolds warped and rear exhaust bolts broke.

Ford was nice enough to put the turbos in a real easy to access spot too. Manual says to remove the cab for this job.

20220313_150422_resized.jpg

through the wheelwell

20220313_150348_resized.jpg

even had to take the starter out

20220313_150431_resized.jpg

nice spot for the turbo ford

20220313_154049_resized.jpg

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I hope you got a good deal. Fwiw, Ford Mechanics can get an entire cab off in less than an hour. There are videos that prove it. I'm not sure what shade tree mechanics are supposed to do though.

Good luck with your repair. An older video I watched interviewed guys at a Ford dealership. Almost all of them said they'd choose the V8 over the turbo models, but the turbo models are great when they don't fail.

If you haven't found it, look at Ford-trucks.com. There is a lot of good information about Ford's there.

Reactions: 1 user

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
While you are in there, might as well check that the turbos are ok. It does not look like fun.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
That's why I got a 5.0 V8 in mine. Yes it can fail too, but sure a lot simpler.

I got peeved at Ford a few years ago and switched brands. Then switched brands. Then switched brands.
Now I'm back to Ford because......they are all junk to some extent. LOL

Reactions: 8 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
20 minutes to get the cab off 🙄 maybe 30 with rust 🤣.

that job is easy money 😎

Reactions: 4 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
That's why I got a 5.0 V8 in mine. Yes it can fail too, but sure a lot simpler.

I got peeved at Ford a few years ago and switched brands. Then switched brands. Then switched brands.
Now I'm back to Ford because......they are all junk to some extent. LOL
I was looking for decent fuel mileage though. This is a commuter truck for work. wasnt real thrilled about the turbo thing either.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
20 minutes to get the cab off 🙄 maybe 30 with rust 🤣.

that job is easy money 😎
lol took me 2 hours messing around with one of the exhaust studs from turbo to pipe. ended up torching it off. Yeah a little rust on this thing too.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I was looking for decent fuel mileage though. This is a commuter truck for work. wasnt real thrilled about the turbo thing either.
Don't overlook the 5.0. with the 10 speed trans. I commute the same 300 mile trip every week back and forth to work. I have a VW Tiguan 2.0 Turbo that I was very impressed with for gas mileage, and my new F150 will take a few dollars less every fill up. I was pretty blown away.

That was running them both at 60 MPH with cruise control on. And it was $90 less fuel than my diesel Superduty used. (and gas was more than diesel at that time.)

But I won't quote any exact numbers because too many variables. But the 5.0/10 speed and that light aluminum body seem to be pretty respectable.

Is yours the 2.7 or the 3.5 Eco?

Reactions: 1 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
this is a 2012 with the 3.5 . Its a beater for work just has to be reliable. I go 150 miles a day some days.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
this is a 2012 with the 3.5 . Its a beater for work just has to be reliable. I go 150 miles a day some days.
Okay. I don't know much about the 3.5 other than they are supposed to be strong pullers, but I had two friends with the 2.7 and they got awesome mileage but they had all kinds of issues with them.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
5.0 here. Loving it so far after 16K miles. Got some snot compared to my old 5.4 Triton 3V. Actually that one still goes too after new plugs (yay!) and 140K miles, looking for a new transmission to bring it to 200K.

Pick your poison, they all have flaws, good luck OP.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Recently replaced the intake manifold on my father’s 4.3L in his old Crown Vic. It’s plastic and notorious for leaking antifreeze and drowning the coils. Only has about 130K on it as it was really my mom’s car and she passed several years ago. Second time it has been replaced. First time an ASE mechanic at the dealer did it. He left one bolt completely out of the manifold and apparently couldn’t figure out the trick to release the wiring harness plugs for the injectors so he just broke them all and secured them with wire ties. Dad sourced an A/M with aluminum neck for the thermostat to hopefully stop the leaking.

In general I dislike mechanic work but have the tools and ability so I do it anyway after stuff is out of warranty. It’s all a PITA to me, and as others have said, seems like everything has its issues and quirks. Not sure why manufacturers make stuff so hard to work on. Maybe to force people to a professional? Seems like a physically small engine in a large engine compartment would be easy to work on; kind of like the 196 ci straight 6 in my Dad’s old Nova I grew up working on. More modern stuff it’s remove the cab to access wear items, take the whole top end off to access the number 6 spark plug (my old Frontier), etc. Regardless of manufacturer doesn’t seem like anyone designs them with service in mind.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Recently replaced the intake manifold on my father’s 4.3L in his old Crown Vic. It’s plastic and notorious for leaking antifreeze and drowning the coils. Only has about 130K on it as it was really my mom’s car and she passed several years ago. Second time it has been replaced. First time an ASE mechanic at the dealer did it. He left one bolt completely out of the manifold and apparently couldn’t figure out the trick to release the wiring harness plugs for the injectors so he just broke them all and secured them with wire ties. Dad sourced an A/M with aluminum neck for the thermostat to hopefully stop the leaking.

In general I dislike mechanic work but have the tools and ability so I do it anyway after stuff is out of warranty. It’s all a PITA to me, and as others have said, seems like everything has its issues and quirks. Not sure why manufacturers make stuff so hard to work on. Maybe to force people to a professional? Seems like a physically small engine in a large engine compartment would be easy to work on; kind of like the 196 ci straight 6 in my Dad’s old Nova I grew up working on. More modern stuff it’s remove the cab to access wear items, take the whole top end off to access the number 6 spark plug (my old Frontier), etc. Regardless of manufacturer doesn’t seem like anyone designs them with service in mind.
Not Ford,........ but related issue!

MB dealer quoted (2020) $1034.89 to replace 6 plugs on my 2014 MB E350.
"Intake manifold must be removed" to replace one plug....NOT!
U-tube shows how to avoid this!
My total cost....$70 for 6 OEM Bosch plugs + tube of dielectric (SP boot) grease.
Job did take me almost 3 hours, but..... I was 79, and am NOT a mechanic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I listened to my brother who road tests vehicles for a living,from Evs to Ferraris....so I trust his knowledge.
He told me never ,ever buy anything with an 'ecoboost' engine.

I've removed dozens of cabs from frames past 5-8 years, chevies are easy(bolts from btm),fords from inside...ugh...

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
apparently couldn’t figure out the trick to release the wiring harness plugs for the injectors so he just broke them all and secured them with wire ties.
In their defense, those connectors get extremely brittle over time and the locking tab breaks off as soon as you touch them. No customer wants to pay the added cost for replacing all the connectors, no dealer is going to eat the cost of them, and no tech is going to replace them for free.

missing bolts, no excise there. If the replacement intake is a dorman one, they are junk as well.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I have a 2011 3.5 TT paired to a 3.73 rear axle and it loves to pull indeed! I did the timing chains and all 4 cam phasers, etc at 125k and new plugs every 25k and it has been running well.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I have a 2011 3.5 TT paired to a 3.73 rear axle and it loves to pull indeed! I did the timing chains and all 4 cam phasers, etc at 125k and new plugs every 25k and it has been running well.
Would be my choice if I were looking for a 1/2 ton truck (or a 5.4).

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
In their defense, those connectors get extremely brittle over time and the locking tab breaks off as soon as you touch them. No customer wants to pay the added cost for replacing all the connectors, no dealer is going to eat the cost of them, and no tech is going to replace them for free.

missing bolts, no excise there. If the replacement intake is a dorman one, they are junk as well.
Yeah, I would have preferred an all aluminum intake but only one of those we could find was a high rise Edelbrock that would have required cutting a hole in the hood. Tried briefly to talk him into the high rise, put a blower on it, and tub the rear for drag tires but he said at 85 he’s not into that any more. If you know a source for a more reliable intake I’m all ears. Even if we put it on the shelf for next time might go ahead and pick it up. It’s an easy job, just takes a while. Not real sure why he even has the car. He drives his F150 all the time and never drives the Crown Vic.

• Haha

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yeah, I would have preferred an all aluminum intake but only one of those we could find was a high rise Edelbrock that would have required cutting a hole in the hood. Tried briefly to talk him into the high rise, put a blower on it, and tub the rear for drag tires but he said at 85 he’s not into that any more. If you know a source for a more reliable intake I’m all ears. Even if we put it on the shelf for next time might go ahead and pick it up. It’s an easy job, just takes a while. Not real sure why he even has the car. He drives his F150 all the time and never drives the Crown Vic.
We only use the OE ones, and don’t have issues with repeat failures. Was that what the dealer used, or did they use the dorman one?

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Th
We only use the OE ones, and don’t have issues with repeat failures. Was that what the dealer used, or did they use the dorman one?
They used OEM. First one leaked at the thermostat. Second one leaked at the thermostat and leaked where the bolt was left out. Tried the Dorman with the aluminum insert for the thermostat on the most recent change. No telling how long it will hold. Dad drive it about 500 miles so far with no issues and now he’s back to driving the F150 so the Crown Vic is just gathering dust again.