Exhaust gas for Garage question.

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Well, manual says I supposed to warm up the engine for 5 to 10 minutes before use the tractor in Winter. and I keep my tractor inside of the garage.
and running the tractor inside for 10 minutes could be disaster.

so I'm trying to get some temporary extension muffler to blow outside.
Do you think such a big-O-pipe would work? Mine is B7510DT that has
21 Hp diesel engine in it. Would it be too hot for big-O-pipe~?:rolleyes:
Or should I get exhaust extension from Princess Auto?
I think it was around $100.00 to $150.00 somewhere.
Any one has better idea for cheap solution~?:D

Thanks for any input.

Joe.

Last edited:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Joe, I'm thinkin cheapest solution is start tractor, pull tractor outside, close garage door, go inside finish coffee. Then go outside and go to work. I think what they mean is 5 to 10 minutes before working the tractor. But that's just my opinion.:D

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Joe
I agree with Dusty. You can move the tractor right after you start it, just don't head into one of those big snowdrifts with it wide open till it gets a chance to get it's fluids moving! I know how big those snowdrifts get around your place! I used to live at Durham, well, Allen Park actually.
Ed Service

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
I agree with Dusty & Ed. Start tractor, let idle, open garage door, idle tractor outside, shut door, go inside for coffee, let tractor idle to warm up while your warming up to go back out in the cold.

bubbaboss

Equipment
1989 Kubota B8200 4x4, Kubota 72" Snow Blower
Jul 26, 2009
Canada
Well .... My Garage is NOT Heated ... so i just crack the Doors Open, and Let It Idle a few minutes (about 10) .... Then Move it Out...

Pulling it Outside sooner will make the Garage Less Full of Fumes Thats for Sure.

I Can't Say I would do the Same if my Garage was Heated though, cuz I'd be wasting alot of Heat leaving the Door Open.

Then I would Probably say your Extension Pipe to the Outside is the Best and Cheapest Solution.

If You Have Started your Car in that Same Garge with the Door Closed.... I Would be more Worried about those Fumes, then my Tractor..... thats for sure.

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
There are solutions but can get real expensive, but be sure to know that it can be a bad thing not just while it is running but for the stuff that gets on everything and anything that it gets on and you use it gets on you. That's why you see fire departments going to exhaust systems, the stuff can lead to cancer.

But you can find at a auto parts place hose that can handle the heat cheap but the good news is what Dusty said just pull it out and allow to run while you enjoy coffee or tea.

Good luck, Jerry:)

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Here are the pictures of what I did all day today.
I went to Wal-Mart and bought the Dryer vent...;)
Thank you all for good advice.
It cost me less than $20.00.

Joe.

Attachments

bubbaboss

Equipment
Jul 26, 2009
Canada
Well ..... That May Melt on you, be careful...

I've Seen my Dryer Almost Melt that Stuff when it got Plugged up...

That Foil Pipe can only take so much heat, not sure what Fumes will do to it, or the Plastic Vent.

Must be Flexible Exhaust Tubing Available some place near you, its usually sold by the foot.

If you keep the Set Up you Just made, Stay Near the Tractor until you Test it out for Heat etc...

My 5 cents.. Bubba

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here are the pictures of what I did all day today.
I went to Wal-Mart and bought the Dryer vent...;)
Thank you all for good advice.
It cost me less than $20.00.

Joe.
It's a great idea and I'm glad you are thinking about safety. To be 99.40 % safer consider a carbon Monoxide detector. :eek: Now your saying "got ya OB1" there's only Dioxide in diesel smoke... well that's what we used to think in the old days until we got better evidence with better testing equipment. I knew several mechanics that would get "cherry" :mad: during servicing the wet scrubber systems on our underground diesel scoops in Western, MD USA. MSHA ( Mine Safety & Health Admin.) like to ran their pens out of ink writing violations on unventilated service area in the mine over toxins. For about 100 bucks you can protect your home (family) with a system detector with alarm and battery back up. Please think about this Joe, sincerely ole OB1...;)

bubbaboss

Equipment
Jul 26, 2009
Canada
Gee.. and i thought the "Cannary" Died from the Cold in my Garage, cost $12. to replace those buggers... LOL

PITA Forgive the Joke....

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hello Arcy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget I have to put up with a bunch of "animal rights activist" down here and can't recommend a Cannary although those little buggers worked very good in the mines during the 1800s.... (LOL) :D:D:D:D

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
My garage is detached building and not heated. Inside of the house, I have a dozen of smoke detector and a couple of Carbon monoxide detector too.
But my tractor's carbon monoxide will blow outside of the building... and my house is far enough from the garage. Thank you all that safety tips... Ob1.
I'm really glad you are looking after me.:) I was Electrical engineer but I know quite of the Electronics too. but I was so surprised by your post on "Combination box". So much knowledge in you...;)

and I chose the thickest drier vent. and tractor will be running on very low idle. (Currently it is on 600 rpm.) but it could be increased a bit more for smooth running...;) and drier vent is 4 inch in diameter. and actual muffer is only 1 inch and a half. so expanding diameter will disperse the heat quickly.
But, of course... I will stand by for a while when I'm runnning on idle to be sure it is safe to run...:cool:
and I will let you know how it went...... only if I survived...:eek:

Joe.

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Ed~! How long ago were you living in Durham? I have store on top of the hill. It is call Heritage Corner Variety. and I teach Tae Kwno Do...!

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
joekimtkd , You got some great advise but I definitely agree with OB1 the cherry color:mad: is only one thing the damage it does to you can be real bad and long lasting. Never to late to be safe! You are off to a good start but I also agree about the melting be careful. :eek: Oh and you can get little heaters for the Canary's ......:D

bubbaboss

Equipment
Jul 26, 2009
Canada
Tae Kwon Do ....

OK ... REALLY NO ONE INSULT HAPPY JOE .... HE WILL SLAP US SILLY!!!

Thats Cool Joe ....

bubbaboss

Equipment
Jul 26, 2009
Canada
I AM NOTICING A FEW ELECTRICIANS AND ELECTRICAL RELATED PEOPLE HERE TOO...

Hmmm ..... from Electrical to Tractors, must be a CONNECTION some place.

Bubba

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Long time since I lived near Durham. I left there 1n 1979. both of my children were born in the hospital there and I have a cousin lives there, Stu and Norma Riddell, Norma is my cousin. Also a friend (who I haven't talked to for years!) Dave Flanigan.] I worked for Moores Garage while there they were a Case and White farm equipment dealership.
Ed Service

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
All those names are very, very familiar to me. Isn't Stu eldery person? I think I remember him as elder. Maybe different Stu though. I've been living in this town for 20 years since 1990 Apr. 15th. So, 1979 is a bit apart... ;) So you are very succeeded man. God Bless you...!!!

Joe.

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Okay, Sir~! ;) I'm going to get the Co detector tomorrow for sure and install it in my garage. and I'm sure I supposed to place the Co detector lowest possible to the floor in order to detect better. but in my garage, all the receptacles are 5' high. Should I use extention cord to place Co detector around 30 Cm above ground?