excess fuel additive

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
This forum has been good at answering many of my Kubota questions and again asking for help. I sold my old bolens H1502 to a buddy and replaced it with a b2601. This is a question about adding too much conditioner to the diesel. Got a call today that he couldn't get the bolens started. I went over after work and checked everything that I thought might be an issue and found nothing. Glow plugs were new last year and are working. Battery same. If you try to start it will give one small huff and then nothing, almost as if its out of fuel. The only time I had a starting issue was when I didn't use conditioner and it was -40, Forgot that the diesel in the tank was from the summer. Since then I always add it to every tank of diesel and proceeded to pass on my advise to the new owner. Only thing he didn't believe how little you need to add therefore he added a lot more. Quantity unknown. Maybe five or six times the recommended. Could this cause starting issues? The only other difference this year is he doesn't have a front on his shelter but he does use the block heater.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Too much additive is probably not the issue.
If it did gell there is only a couple that will ungell it after the fact, most of the preventative additives won't do it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This forum has been good at answering many of my Kubota questions and again asking for help. I sold my old bolens H1502 to a buddy and replaced it with a b2601. This is a question about adding too much conditioner to the diesel. Got a call today that he couldn't get the bolens started. I went over after work and checked everything that I thought might be an issue and found nothing. Glow plugs were new last year and are working. Battery same. If you try to start it will give one small huff and then nothing, almost as if its out of fuel. The only time I had a starting issue was when I didn't use conditioner and it was -40, Forgot that the diesel in the tank was from the summer. Since then I always add it to every tank of diesel and proceeded to pass on my advise to the new owner. Only thing he didn't believe how little you need to add therefore he added a lot more. Quantity unknown. Maybe five or six times the recommended. Could this cause starting issues? The only other difference this year is he doesn't have a front on his shelter but he does use the block heater.
Saw a couple of Youtube videos where the owner of a non starting cold weather situation, took a pot of very hot water and submersed the filter/water separator to get things moving. If you get it going and suspect summer diesel, far better than to drain and refill with a winter blend or the wax crystals will form again. Usually at the worst time like in the public road at the end of your driveway.

Dave