Evidence of a clogged injector? Clean or replace? B2150

Mr. Z

Sep 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Today I replaced the glow plugs on my B2150. To get better access to the front plug, I disconnected the front-most fuel delivery pipe from the injector pump and also removed the associated delivery valve holder. I think I got some dirt inside when I reassembled and clogged the front cylinder fuel injector. Here are the symptoms:

-Engine starts and runs but has low power
-Front exhaust manifold is ~100 degrees cooler than middle and rear manifolds (tested using infrared thermometer)

Does anyone think the problem might be something else?

Assuming I clogged the injector, is it worth removing and cleaning (with carb cleaner, as seen on YouTube) or should I just replace it since new ones seem to run about $50 each?

Any reason not to replace all three at the same time?

Any tips for the job?

Thanks in advance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Today I replaced the glow plugs on my B2150. To get better access to the front plug, I disconnected the front-most fuel delivery pipe from the injector pump and also removed the associated delivery valve holder. I think I got some dirt inside when I reassembled and clogged the front cylinder fuel injector. Here are the symptoms:

-Engine starts and runs but has low power
-Front exhaust manifold is ~100 degrees cooler than middle and rear manifolds (tested using infrared thermometer)

Does anyone think the problem might be something else?

Assuming I clogged the injector, is it worth removing and cleaning (with carb cleaner, as seen on YouTube) or should I just replace it since new ones seem to run about $50 each?

Any reason not to replace all three at the same time?

Any tips for the job?

Thanks in advance.
I'll bet you have a part inside not in right. ;)

And as far as the $50 injectors, Ebay or Amazon right?
They are junk, 99% of them will not work right!
Only place besides true OEM that I have found that have good quality injectors is Oregon Fuel Injection.

Mr. Z

Sep 27, 2016
Massachusetts
There didn't seem to be anything to put back together wrong with what I took apart, and loosening the delivery pipe at the top of the injector produces a strong stream of diesel.

That was the ebay price. Looks like about $75 from actual online dealers. I will call my local dealer in the morning.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
There didn't seem to be anything to put back together wrong with what I took apart, and loosening the delivery pipe at the top of the injector produces a strong stream of diesel.

That was the ebay price. Looks like about $75 from actual online dealers. I will call my local dealer in the morning.
I bought three OEM Kubota injectors for my B1750 a couple of weeks ago for about $65 each. IIRC, list price was about $75.

Can't begin to have them tested, let alone rebuilt, for anything close.

If mine, I would just replace all four if there are significant hours on the engine.

Why did you replace the glow plugs? Opens?

SDT

Mr. Z

Sep 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Hour meter is sub-800.

I replaced the plugs because cold starting was rough. It's much better now.

The exhaust is clear but a clogged injector (meaning fuel starvation in one cylinder) wouldn't affect the exhaust, right?

Correction: Some dark smoke when bogging down, but not think black (like I'd expect).

No injectors available locally and a storm coming. Seems like my only option is to disassemble and try to clean... anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Last edited:

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
IMO, if you got a piece of crud in the injector nozzle, I don't know how it can be fixed with disassembly.

Haved searched for "diesel injection service" and there is one in East Granby, CT, and a few Boston Injection service in different locations in and around Boston.

I mentioned DIS because I have used them and cost is not bad and service is great

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hour meter is sub-800.

I replaced the plugs because cold starting was rough. It's much better now.

The exhaust is clear but a clogged injector (meaning fuel starvation in one cylinder) wouldn't affect the exhaust, right?

Correction: Some dark smoke when bogging down, but not think black (like I'd expect).

No injectors available locally and a storm coming. Seems like my only option is to disassemble and try to clean... anyone have any alternative suggestions?
The part that gets lost when people take the delivery valve out is the copper sealing washer, if that was sure to go back in you should be fine.

Did you bleed that line at the injector after you reassembled the delivery valve and line?

If not then it's vapor locked and won't pop the injector.

You could pull the injector and place the injector off to the side of the engine on the line, you will need to place it on loosely on the injector side and bleed the air out, then with a piece of cardboard under the injector check it for a spray pattern.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Have you moved the suspect injector from one cylinder to another to see if problem follows the injector or not? That would prove if it is the injector or if it is that cylinder.

May be more difficult than replacing the injector but is less costly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Z

Sep 27, 2016
Massachusetts
The part that gets lost when people take the delivery valve out is the copper sealing washer, if that was sure to go back in you should be fine.

Did you bleed that line at the injector after you reassembled the delivery valve and line?
I didn't lose the copper washer.

I did bleed it. Good a good amount of fuel out the top.

The engine was pretty cruddy before I started the job (my mistake). I'm quite sure I got some grime into the injector line. Careless for sure.

Mr. Z

Sep 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Turns out I lost the delivery valve spring. And boy do I feel dumb about that.

A trip to the hardware store and a close-enough match, and I'm back up and running (until I can get the right spring).

For what it's worth, I also removed the injector, disassembled it, and cleaned it with brake parts cleaner. Not hard to do. Of course I did that before double-checking the delivery valve...