Everything was going good until.... Buzzzz

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Yesterday, I was using the backhoe to pull some junk from the 30 foot ring of brush around a tree on 5.5 acres of overgrown land I just recently purchased. Everything was going good when I noticed some type of insect buzz by my head, next thing I know there are hundreds of bees swarming, many stinging me. I had the boom and dipper stretched out all the way, the outriggers and FEL down so no way to drive off. Luckily, I had the presence of mind, even though being attacked, I shut off the key. I ran 100 yards or so towards an open area trying to swat them off with my hat, being swarmed and stung all the while. Once in an open area I stopped running, hoping the wind would help blow them away from me. Some did leave but about 20 or 30 still swarmed and ocassionally attacked. After 2 or 3 minutes of this (seemed more like 30) most left and only an occasional 2 or 3 would attack. My truck and trailer were down the path towards the tractor (and bees) so I waited about 45 minutes so the swarm would move away. I went to the truck, getting stung by a couple more. Finally, I got in and drove home.

I've never had a reaction to bee or wasp venom so I didn't go to the doctor but I definately paid attention to how I felt for the next several hours. I counted 28 stings (seemed like a lot more as it was happening). A couple of them really hurt so must have received more venom.

I went back today and slowly approached the tractor. I pulled the key and started looking for the nest. As I moved slowly around I started hearing buzzing. I followed the sound and saw the swarm about 3 feet in diameter on the tree trunk. I guess I destroyed the nest. There were a 100 or so buzzing around the swarm so I got out of there.

Now I need to get the 12 volt, diesel compatable spot sprayer that I'm planning on buying anyway purchased so I can go back in the next night or two and spray them from a distance. I want to eradicate them before the swarm moves somewhere else and I run into them unexpectedly again.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Yesterday, I was using the backhoe to pull some junk from the 30 foot ring of brush around a tree on 5.5 acres of overgrown land I just recently purchased. Everything was going good when I noticed some type of insect buzz by my head, next thing I know there are hundreds of bees swarming, many stinging me. I had the boom and dipper stretched out all the way, the outriggers and FEL down so no way to drive off. Luckily, I had the presence of mind, even though being attacked, I shut off the key. I ran 100 yards or so towards an open area trying to swat them off with my hat, being swarmed and stung all the while. Once in an open area I stopped running, hoping the wind would help blow them away from me. Some did leave but about 20 or 30 still swarmed and ocassionally attacked. After 2 or 3 minutes of this (seemed more like 30) most left and only an occasional 2 or 3 would attack. My truck and trailer were down the path towards the tractor (and bees) so I waited about 45 minutes so the swarm would move away. I went to the truck, getting stung by a couple more. Finally, I got in and drove home.

I've never had a reaction to bee or wasp venom so I didn't go to the doctor but I definately paid attention to how I felt for the next several hours. I counted 28 stings (seemed like a lot more as it was happening). A couple of them really hurt so must have received more venom.

I went back today and slowly approached the tractor. I pulled the key and started looking for the nest. As I moved slowly around I started hearing buzzing. I followed the sound and saw the swarm about 3 feet in diameter on the tree trunk. I guess I destroyed the nest. There were a 100 or so buzzing around the swarm so I got out of there.

Now I need to get the 12 volt, diesel compatable spot sprayer that I'm planning on buying anyway purchased so I can go back in the next night or two and spray them from a distance. I want to eradicate them before the swarm moves somewhere else and I run into them unexpectedly again.
Very likely your antagonists were ground dwelling hornets. Yellow jackets or white face. Neither are bees. Please don't give bees a bad rap unless you are sure.

Both of the hornets "pick up your scent", and pass the code on to their comrades to maintain the attack. I've had them bypass me while I was draped over my child, as it was my son that they locked on to.
First one get's them alert, second one gets them angry, the third one is the target. Don't be the third one! ;-) They WILL chase you.

Go at night, Fuel and fire. Burn 'em out, Then drive off.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Yes, they probably are hornets, most around here just call them bees. They are not the ground dwelling yellow jackets since they are mostly black short bodied that look like a honey bee.

As I stated, I'm hoping I can find an ATV type diesel compatable brush sprayer locally so I can go back tomorrow night and hit them with diesel from a safe distance. Can't burn them since there is a dead cedar nearby and I don't want to burn the place down. Today they are clump swarming on the tree so it would be easy to blast them with diesel.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Bill, I remember seeing those when I was a kid, in fact I watched them take on tarantulas on more than one occasion. I haven't seen one of them here in many years. We also have a slightly smaller one that takes cicadas, not quite as large but still pretty impressive. One of the main things I remember about either one is their sound as they flew, there is no mistaking what you were hearing.

I have on one occasion ridden my mortorcycle up to a stop light only to realize I was in a swarm of honey bees. Luckily, I had on a leather jacket, goves and a full face helmet. I ran the light as soon as traffic allowed.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Around here those would have been paper wasps. Yup, they really make a round nest out of cellulose. They are smart and will go for the back of your neck first. Don't burn them, it's July. Buy a few large cans that will spray a stream. Long sleeves, gloves and a hat will help. I happened to be a tad upset and had a pressure washer handy.

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
I ran into a swarm of honey bees once on my Goldwing motorcycle. It took a week before I could get them out of the radiator. Luckily only one went under my leather jacket and got me. The bike was a real mess.

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
BTW< I lived in Arizona fro 11 years until I couldn't deal with the heat. I've seen plenty of rattlesnakes and even Gila Monsters down there. But the biggest threat by far was the killer bees. Lots of folks die every year down there from those . You don't have much time to get help either once they attack you.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Glad you made it out ok with that many stings. I've never been allergic before. But...... a couple years back, I was push mowing out back in a spot I couldn't get with the finish mower. Ended up finding a yellow jacket nest. They ate me up before I got away.

Ended up with a similar amount of stings, with most being on one leg that found the nest.

My leg swelled up pretty good, to where I ended up having my wife take me to the walk in clinic. Got a shot in the butt, and spent the rest of the weekend drunk on benadryl.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I found a diesel safe brush spot sprayer at a local tractor dealership. I already have diesel ready and a deep cycle battery I can use for powering the sprayer. I have a mesh head cover that fits over a hat which should protect my head and neck. I plan to wear coveralls and a pair of welding gloves. I should be pretty well protected. I'm going over 30 minutes before sundown to set everything up so I don't have to use any lights that might stir them up. I may set up a small light from a different angle to shine on the swarm but only if I can't see them without it. I want the light at a location away from me because I'm thinking that if any do fly off before being hit with diesel they may head towards light instead of at me.

Wish me luck. This is the first time I've gone after a swarm this big.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
If you wait until after dark, and use flash lights, or even the tractor lights. You won't need any of that protection.

When the sun goes down, hornets go passive and will barely fly. Maybe they use the sun for navigation....

Note: I wouldn't walk into them and sit down on the stump, but I wouldn't doubt you could and not get stung. After dark that is! ;-)

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Got home 15 minutes ago and just got out of the shower. I think I'll be smelling diesel for days...LOL.

The deed is done and hopefully I got the queen. When I got there I set up my sprayer and looked things over. I was a little concerned that the swarm seemed to have spread out from the concentrated grouping they were in yesterday. They were in multiple groups around the trunk of the tree.

I waited until it was dark enough that I couldn't see the ground clearly. I started up the sprayer and started spraying where the biggest concentration was while holding the light in my left hand. I assumed the area of biggest concentration was where the queen was located. I soaked that group good but was surprised by how it didn't just drop them. They were just moving around fluttering their wings. I hit them again and noticed that some from the other groups were starting to swarm, heading towards my light. One landed on my left glove, the hand holding light. A few others were swarming my head. Amazing how they seem to go for the head, maybe the carbon dioxide we breathe out?

I shut off the light and started moving towards my truck and the ones around my head started to land on the mesh hood, glad I had it on. I couldn't shake them so I had brought along some cutter insect repellent for this very reason. I sprayed all around my head and that either confused them so they left or it just drove them away. Either way, good to know the trick works. I'll most likely keep some on the tractor from now on in case I encounter another nest in the future.

I went back to the sprayer and decided to just keep hitting the trunk and area around where I could. Unfortunately, I could only access about 270° around the tree trunk. The buzzing seemed to go on forever, maybe the ones on the trunk I couldn spray? Anyway, I set the sprayer nozzle for more of a mist and just fogged the area. When I left, the buzzing was minimal. If they don't all die, they will surely leave the area at daylight tomorrow. Again, hopefully I got the queen.

I'll go over sometimes tomorrow and see what I see.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A couple of time when haying I got over a nest of them. I noticed they seemed to be attracted to heat. They buzzed the exhaust pipe of the 730 Case which stuck straight up about 2'.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I went and checked this morning and was surprised to see around 100 of them in a mass on the tree and another 25 or so buzzing around. Apparently the diesel remnents aren't enough to send them elswhere. But that is a good thing. I'm going over tonite to try to finish the job, I'd much prefer to wipe them out rather than have them move. This time I'm going to mix some pyrethrin with the diesel. Now I'm wondering if the tree has a hollow and the queen is inside.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I'm 67 years old, lived in the country all my life and dealt with all kinds of wasps, yellow jackets , bumble bees and hornets. The # 1 killer of all these is gas. Sprayed on a wasp nest, the wasps are dead before they hit the ground. Just one coffee cup of gas in a yellow jacket nest will kill the whole nest, don't even have to burn it. It's cheaper than everything else. BUT, if you're an idiot, stupid or don't have any common sense, don't use gas. The next best thing is CRC brake clean in the red and white can, available from AZ and other parts stores. Allmost as effective as gas but $ 5 a can. Great for wasp nest and convenient. Auto Zone brake clean is almost as good as CRC, just don't get the non chlorinated, doesn't work.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Yep, I've dosed LOTS of paper wasp nests with gas. i would put about 1/2 to 3/4 cup in an old coffee can and like you said, instant death.

But, the suckers I recently ran into were far too many in numbers to try the coffee can method and I wasn't about to use my pressure sprayer to deliver gas, pressurized gas could be a disaster.

It turns out the tree they were on was split open and the main hive was inside. My doser operator started working today and he took the tree down and pushed it off to the burn pile. The burn pile is on a remote part of my land and they can stay there until they are incinerated.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
You shouldn’t kill them if you don’t know positively they are not honey bees. There are very few wild swarmsleft these days- the bee population is really stressed with disease and habitat loss. From your description of their behavior, they could well be honey bees. Take a picture and post it.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Definately not honey bees. Both the native and africanized honey bees loose their stingers. These did not. And that means these could/can sting over and over!

The issue has been dealt with. The dead cedar tree they were in has been taked down by the doser (with a cab) and moved to the burn pile. Turns out, the tree was split open and they were inside.