Engine temp and shifting

summit1966

Equipment
L2850
Sep 26, 2017
Australia, VIC Melbourne
Hi all,

Just took my new to me L2850 for a good run today, runs well but I have a few concerns. Installed a temp gauge and the engine temps never got above 65 degrees Celsius when I was running it. Check the coolant temp with a portable infared thermometer on the coolant hose and it's showing the same temp as the gauge, could the thermostat be possibly my problem? Also some I gets really hard to shift to reverse gear, sometimes it shifts like butter, what could be the possible cause of this?

Cheers

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You may not have any issue, it takes a lot of work for my L3450 to get up to temp and as soon as I back down it cools right down.
I would run it for a bit before you call it an issue.

As for as the shift goes, it could be 2 issues the clutch is worn or out of adjustment or it has worn syncros if equipped.

That tractor also came in 2 different versions of transmission, a Constant mesh and a Syncro mesh, and with single clutch or dual clutch.
If it is a constant mesh, then the only thing that might be happening is a dragging clutch disk causing it to stay in a bind.