Engine Oil Questions

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
I have an '83 B5100D with ~900 hrs. Runs great. Currently using what the book calls for (10 w40?) conventional oil. I prefer to run Mobil 1 in everything I care about. Can I run full synthetic oil in this engine? If so, should I get the one specifically for diesel engines? Thanks

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Mobil has a diesel product line. The oil you choose must be rated for diesel engines, but you will not find the API rating that is specified in your 1983 manual. I believe cj-4 is backward compatible.
As far as synthetic is concerned that is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You can run full synthetic in your tractor. Just make sure which ever oil you use. Make sure it's made for a diesel engine. :)

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
Shell Makes a DIESEL Synthetic Rotella T in a blue bottle that I think is full synthetic.
My machine calls for Diesel spec'd oil Never conventional.
Something to do with the way the oil suspends the deposits.
I use 15W-40 year round. My machine is in a garage year around.
Some difficulty starting in colder weather but now let Glow plugs stay on for recommended 60 seconds. Also use compression release to spin engine before starting.
Others will be better able to help you

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As others mentioned , rotella t6...good stuff

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
OK thanks. So, is it bad that I've been running regular old conventional motor oil and NOT diesel-specific oil? When I consulted the owner's manual it only specified the weight requirements. 10 w40 IIRC

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK thanks. So, is it bad that I've been running regular old conventional motor oil and NOT diesel-specific oil? When I consulted the owner's manual it only specified the weight requirements. 10 w40 IIRC
Oils are like "paint" - different stuff in them depending on what your plans are when using.

Diesel oils have modifiers that "trap" the blow by particles that end up in the engine oil. Gas engines have blow by too, but different enough to have a different type of chemicals to help the trappings of those particles.

I would not say it is bad, just oils today do a much better job of keeping the engine running longer and cleaner, depending on WHAT engine and how that engine is used.;)

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
It's not a practice I'd recommend, but since it's an 80's tractor with 900 hours on it, if the oil was changed with any regularity, it will be fine. As previously mentioned, the differences for diesels is primarily in the detergents added to it, so if it's been changed every couple of years, the oil probably would only have 30-50 hours on it (assuming uniform usage) and would stay reasonably clean that way. Other than using the proper oil for it going forward, you can't really do anything about it anyway, so as long as it stays running good, I wouldn't worry about it.