Engine oil question

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
It's about time to change the oil on my B5100e. The owner's manual recommends 10w30 for a wide range of ambient temperatures but I don't have any in stock at the moment. I do have plenty of 10w40. Will I do the engine any harm by using this instead?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It's about time to change the oil on my B5100e. The owner's manual recommends 10w30 for a wide range of ambient temperatures but I don't have any in stock at the moment. I do have plenty of 10w40. Will I do the engine any harm by using this instead?
Only thing I would tell you .......and I understand oils.........

Make sure that it is for DIESEL engines - do not use gasoline oils in the diesel...................
a 40 weight oil is fine, if both are 10 weights stocks, one has a little more "stuff" in it to help with flow easier than the other - 30 will flow at normal temps better than the 40 , 40 "acts" thicker ......there is more additives in the 40 than the 30, if you had an oil pressure that was low - the 40 weight would boost it a hair, until it reaches a temp of about 212 F.

I would look again for 5w 30 if you are in a colder part of France. 10w40 will be fine if you are in a warmer part

Will not hurt a thing......what brand of oil are you using?

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
Thanks for the quick response. The oil is manufactured by ELF and it is rated for turbo diesel engines. I don't intend to use the tractor when it is anywhere near freezing, only for tilling in late summer and early spring, with occasinal use for shunting a small goods trailer around the property. Not ideal but sounds like it will be OK. When cash is a bit more abundant I'll get the proper stuff, I promise. :)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks for the quick response. The oil is manufactured by ELF and it is rated for turbo diesel engines. I don't intend to use the tractor when it is anywhere near freezing, only for tilling in late summer and early spring, with occasinal use for shunting a small goods trailer around the property. Not ideal but sounds like it will be OK. When cash is a bit more abundant I'll get the proper stuff, I promise. :)
You will be fine all the way around, even when cold you will be in great shape, turbo diesels have EVEN more stuff to worry about !!! :D:D