Engine oil alarm on KX91-3

Frank E. McMillan

Equipment
M7040 tractor/KX91-3 Excavator
Jan 19, 2017
Aliceville, Alabama
I recently went to service a KX91-3 Super Series excavator. I started the engine to warm it up and to move to level ground for oil drainage. About 15 seconds or so after starting the engine, I heard an audible alarm and looked down to see the "engine Oil' message on the screen. Even though I knew the oil level was sufficient I shut it down and checked anyway. I went ahead and moved it and changed the oil and filter as well as the air filter (all were quite past the normal interval). However, the alarm is still sounding with the message. I wonder if the oil pump is damaged in some way? Help!!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So.....

this all started BEFORE you did anything? If so-

you have a bad oil pump....
the pick up tube is clogged .....
the pick up tube has loosened allowing no suction....
the oil sending unit going to the light is bad .....(you hope this is the problem)

Frank E. McMillan

Equipment
M7040 tractor/KX91-3 Excavator
Jan 19, 2017
Aliceville, Alabama
Thanks 85Hokie. I didn't know about the tube and didn't even think about the sending unit. I'm assuming there is no reset code or anything. I'll get started looking into these things.

Thanks again!!

Frank

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The oil pump, and pick-up tube would require you to remove the engine and open it up in order to check them.
Start with the simple stuff first, left rear of the engine just above the started is the oil pressure switch check that first, if the wire looks good, you'll need to remove the switch and check the engine with a manual gauge to check pressure.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks 85Hokie. I didn't know about the tube and didn't even think about the sending unit. I'm assuming there is no reset code or anything. I'll get started looking into these things.

Thanks again!!

Frank
Finding the sending unit will be easy - NIW points you in the right direction - If the wire came off, not sure it would light, but if that wire was crunched and grounded, it might stay on - not sure about it - but it is worth the a checking.