Engine knocking

Cheryl

Equipment
M5030
Aug 14, 2021
louie1456BP
New to the forum and new to country living. I bought an older M5030 last year and have loved the tractor. I don't know much about diesel engines but I know enough to shut it down when it starts knocking. Today I started to do a little mowing. After warming up I set off cutting about 100 yards when it suddenly started a knock. I pulled back the throttle and the knock went away. But add a little fuel and the knocking starts again. I shut it down immediately. I'm suspecting water in the fuel is possible? I did see a puff of smoke that looked like it was coming between the manifold and muffler. Can't tell you the color of if it was always there.

I have some mechanical ability, but I just don't know enough about diesels to feel confident I won't make something worse. I would really appreciate some advice.

D

Deleted member 47704

Shoot a video.
I know this sounds obvious but bear with me
Check the fuel filter / water trap
Fuel, old, new was anything added to it?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Almost by definition diesels “knock”…. perhaps if you have an exhaust system break-down (gasket or fractured pipe) …it may become much louder as you hear the exhaust leak. (?)

Reactions: 1 user

Cheryl

Equipment
M5030
Aug 14, 2021
louie1456BP
Just got the tractor pulled back to the barn. I never noticed that the fuel filter had a drain on the bottom. Opened that up and it was full of brown oily water. I collected probably a third of a cup... maybe more of water. Before I start it back up, is there anything else I should do? If it were gas, I'd start it and try burning off the water left in the line. Diesel, it seems that's a big no-no.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Maybe pour a little water at the manifold/muffler junction in an attempt to diagnose a leak or a gloved hand on the spot, maybe a paper towel ? I have had an exhaust leak at the manifold and it was very loud indeed. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Cheryl

Equipment
M5030
Aug 14, 2021
louie1456BP
It won't fire. There is white smoke pouring out the exhaust with every revolution of the starter. Is there anything I can do short of hauling it to the dealer?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
It won't fire. There is white smoke pouring out the exhaust with every revolution of the starter. Is there anything I can do short of hauling it to the dealer?
Sounds like you are still pushing water thru the fuel lines. Don't continue cranking it, water can do a lot of harm. Maybe someone on here can describe procedures that flush out the system.

Cheryl

Equipment
M5030
Aug 14, 2021
louie1456BP
Sounds like you are still pushing water thru the fuel lines. Don't continue cranking it, water can do a lot of harm. Maybe someone on here can describe procedures that flush out the system.
I remember being told just that. I just cranked for 5 seconds and stopped. I'm guessing I need to bleed the injectors and am unsure exactly how on my tractor. I don't see a manual pump on the injector pump and the battery tray is directly above the injectors. I'd have to remove it to get to the injectors.

I've tried finding a video. Found one bleeding a Volvo. But not sure if there's more to it than that. Plus, I see this little knob on the pump that I don't know what it is. It was turned all the way to the left against a stop. I didn't try to force it anymore to the left but it will rotate right about a turn before it hits another stop. Anyone know what that is?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I just cranked for 5 seconds and stopped. I'm guessing I need to bleed the injectors and am unsure exactly how on my tractor.

That's good on the crank time. Never more than 10 seconds continuous on start so the starter doesn't burn out.

After opening the filter the lines need to be bled of air. I don't know if there is a bulb primer on that model. Two things you need: an Operator Manual and a WorkShop Manual (WSM). I did not see an electronic copy on=line. You might get thumbdrive copies from a dealer (as in a favor). Otherwise you might have to buy paper copies from a dealer. In any case you need the procedures and fluid specs to keep the machine running.

I've tried finding a video.

Each machine seems to have its own particular method. People have wasted a lot of time following a video that had nothing to do with their machine. I would advise not turning knobs or "cracking" things open until you get the right instructions. Hopefully, another owner will post here.

With water in the bowl, another good habit is to fill the fuel tank at the end of every job. This will give less room and surface for condensation of water inside the tank.

Cheryl

Equipment
M5030
Aug 14, 2021
louie1456BP
Wow! A thousand times thank you! When I first got the tractor I tried to locate the service manual and could only get the owner and parts manual. That will be a big help going forward, but on this issue I'm still not sure what to do... the troubleshooting guide says that if there's water in the fuel system, repair or replace it but doesn't reference anything else about it. The bleeding steps require "starting the engine for 30 seconds." What does one do if it won't start?

Looks like the knob I referred to earlier is the air vent cock. There seems to be no procedure for bleeding the injection lines at the injectors.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Cheryl

Is your machine M5030? Because the above manual is for an L series.

If you do have an operator's manual for your machine it will describe how to bleed air in the fuel filter replacement section.

Cheryl

Equipment
M5030
Aug 14, 2021
louie1456BP
Cheryl

Is your machine M5030? Because the above manual is for an L series.

If you do have an operator's manual for your machine it will describe how to bleed air in the fuel filter replacement section.
You're right, thanks for pointing that out. I went back to the owner's manual and you're correct... the procedure is there. The pictures are hard to make out (it's an ebay copy). I need to find a replacement filter Monday, then I'll give it a go.

Cheryl

Equipment
M5030
Aug 14, 2021
louie1456BP
Okay, so there was the initial half cup of water pulled from the filter/separator. I removed the old filter and extracted another half cup of water. I drained some of the fuel when I installed the new filter. Looked good. Managed to get it started. Warmed it up for at least 5 minutes on level ground. Took off mowing. Ran fine for about 500 feet and did the same thing... Hit a slight slope and the engine started knocking, loss of power and shut down. The farmer that's tending my field happened to be working here today and stopped by to look. We extracted another half cup of water from the new separator. Tractor is still on the slope and I can't get it started. Thoughts?

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Fuel filter
15601-43170
Wix 33391
NAPA 3391

Rock Auto is usually the cheapest place, but watch the shipping costs…

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Tractor is still on the slope and I can't get it started. Thoughts?
Not to state the obvious but .... water is somehow getting into your fuel. Did you empty the tank completely when you installed the new filter? Four ounces of water just doesn't appear.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Empty all the contaminated fuel from your tank and system and start over with fresh fuel. Avoid pressure-washing the tractor or allowing rain, etc. from getting into the tank.

Reactions: 1 user

Cheryl

Equipment
M5030
Aug 14, 2021
louie1456BP
Fuel filter
15601-43170
Wix 33391
NAPA 3391

Rock Auto is usually the cheapest place, but watch the shipping costs…
Yeah, local NAPA dealer is super helpful and sells the filters for about $11. He had one in stock and just ordered me 2 more.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Empty all the contaminated fuel from your tank and system and start over with fresh fuel. Avoid pressure-washing the tractor or allowing rain, etc. from getting into the tank.
Or just keep fooling around until the $3000 injection pump is ruined!